MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #136
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

This thread definitely makes me want to buy one! Every thing you say about the pit makes it seem like an absolute dream cooker.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #137
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
This thread definitely makes me want to buy one! Every thing you say about the pit makes it seem like an absolute dream cooker.
Well, I can't promise that it is or would be for everyone, because everyone's expectations are different, but it is for me. But as far as evenness and heat control are concerned, the biscuits don't lie.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #138
HookEcho
Got Wood.

They also make extremely good stick burners on comp carts, if your a stick guy. I have both and between the 2, I love the flexibility I have.

They can paint it any color you want, heck we thought doing a flame job for the paint but decided that was well over the top. One thing to keep in mind, the paint will get nicked, scratched etc....its just life dealing with something that is that big, bulky, and weighs that much, so dont paint it with a color thats hard to touch up.

Also, they can cut logo plates out with just about any logo/wording you want on your pit. Something to keep in mind. Here is what I mean....

and the back....

Sorry for the thread jack....lol

Weapons of Choice:
[B]Yoder [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Smokers[/COLOR] Kingman Comp Cart[/B]
[B]Yoder [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Smokers[/COLOR] YS640 Comp Cart[/B]
Rusted POS Weber Gas Grill
(1) [COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Hemi Orange[/B][/COLOR] Nitro Methane Thermopen
(1) 85 lbs GSP Bird Dog
HookEcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #139
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

No hijack at all! I'll look at a Kingman CC all day long and yours is awesome!. It's either a Kingman CC or a Chisholm II when I am able and ready to get back to burning sticks.

I think the results would be identical if you were to perform the biscuit tests on your Kingman since the heat distribution method and controls are the same. Everything I've said here would apply to your pit I would imagine (with the exception of pellet consumption and related topics of course).

Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #140
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Oh you just quit now. You don't really care about the YS1500. Fess up. I mean, you went out and bought ANOTHER redhead after getting rid of your first one BECAUSE of the Yoder...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #141
Tommyboy48
Full Fledged Farker

"She's a beaut Clark...She's a beaut."

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #142
Stlbbqstore
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
Ron, I'm more than happy to. There is an abundance of info about the YS640, but not the YS1320/1500. Back when I was making my initial decision before I bought my YS640 the beginning of this year, I was spending hours deciding if I wanted the YS640 or YS1320. I could find all the info I wanted about the YS640, but I had to really work hard and piece together little bits of information about the YS1320. Don was great and answered every question I had (and if you ask him, there were a lot). The owners were out there, but they weren't posting the way YS640 owners were. If there had been info like this thread out there at that time, I may very well be a YS1320 owner as well as many of the past cookers in my signature still.

Due to the low amount pictures out there and owners talking about it, I went with what was safe for me, the YS640. Now don't get me wrong, I loved my YS640. What triggered all of this was I was stuckburning one day this summer (because I hadn't used it since I got my YS640) and I was growing more and more frustrated with a cheap offset everytime I used it. I had just come back from a tour of the Yoder factory and understood exactly what the flawed points in my stickburner were after seeing them made right. I came to the realization that I only use two of my cookers 95% of the time, the YS640, and the Kamado Joe. So if I was able to sell my cookers, I was able to cover most of the cost of the YS1500. So I purged them and ordered the YS1500.

As I look at my cooker situation now, I'm so glad I did what I did. It's nice have a deck and patio again instead of a cooker museum (most here may disagree with me on that point). I have the step-up versions of the cookers I used the most and added space at our home where space is limited. I'm thrilled with the YS1500, I really can't say how happy I am, and that is not in anyway a slight to the YS640, it's a compliment to the YS1500. It really suits me well. Clearly I was happy with my YS640 if I was willing to sell all of my cookers and pay more money for something very similar. If money wasn't an issue, the YS640 would still be on my deck and getting regular use.

The point of this thread is not to gloat, or show off, I want to pay it forward. I want info out there about this cooker that I wish had been out about the YS1320 at the time I was looking to buy this past winter. I feel a little like a braggart or a show-off by posting what I do sometimes, but that is not my style or motive. I just want to post info and pictures I wish I would have had at my disposal back when I was struggling with my YS640 vs. YS1320 decision.

I'm honored that you find this as a tool to help prospective owners. That is EXACTLY the intent of this thread and what I want it to be. I hope I can help many others who are struggling with a decision like I was.
One of the pleasures of selling " higher end " BBQ equipment is dealing with customers who have done their homework and are always wanting to know if I have cooked on a particular model or if I know of someone that has. I cook on each Mfg of Smoker I sell but not necessarily each model. The 1500 is in a class of itself and sure looks like it justifies it's price tag. I will be referring prospective customers to this thread. Thanks again nu
[COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Authorized Dealer[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] for Yoder Smokers /RipTangle Smokers / Humphrey's Smokers / Backwoods Smokers / Shirley Fab / T&K Smokers / Gateway Drum Smokers /Meadow Creek / Camp Chef / Alfa Ovens / Green Mountain Grills / Kamado Joe / Memphis Grills / PK Grills / Blaze Gas Grills / Pit Barrel Cooker
[COLOR="Black"][B]Visit our Website[/B][/COLOR] - [URL="http://www.stlbbqstore.com"]www.stlbbqstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR="Black"][B]Like us on Facebook[/B] - [/COLOR][URL="https://[URL="http://www.stlbbqstore.com"]www.facebook.com/stlbbqstore[/URL]
Stlbbqstore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #143
BMCSRET
On the road to being a farker

What a beauty, congrats and enjoy!

Old 09-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #144
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEcho View Post
They also make extremely good stick burners on comp carts, if your a stick guy. I have both and between the 2, I love the flexibility I have.

They can paint it any color you want, heck we thought doing a flame job for the paint but decided that was well over the top. One thing to keep in mind, the paint will get nicked, scratched etc....its just life dealing with something that is that big, bulky, and weighs that much, so dont paint it with a color thats hard to touch up.

Also, they can cut logo plates out with just about any logo/wording you want on your pit. Something to keep in mind. Here is what I mean....

and the back....

Sorry for the thread jack....lol
WOW, sweet looking smokers. Love the name plates.

Have we ever met?
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #145
unixadm
Take a breath!

Well thanks to this thread, I'm ordering a YS1500 tomorrow from Tom @ Yoder.

I've decided on:

YS1500 with a Silver Cart
2 x Probe Ports (one on each side of the chamber)
Direct Grilling Option (Grill Grates)
Modified Smoke Stack so that a portion can be removed to fit in my trailer
YS sign on the counter weight
400lbs of pellets

Looks like it will be a 4-6 week wait. Please keep up the posts and pics, it will help hold me over until I get this thing. Thanks for this thread, it was a huge help in deciding on my next toy, I mean cooker.
unixadm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #146
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
Well thanks to this thread, I'm ordering a YS1500 tomorrow from Tom @ Yoder.

I've decided on:

YS1500 with a Silver Cart
2 x Probe Ports (one on each side of the chamber)
Direct Grilling Option (Grill Grates)
Modified Smoke Stack so that a portion can be removed to fit in my trailer
YS sign on the counter weight
400lbs of pellets

Looks like it will be a 4-6 week wait. Please keep up the posts and pics, it will help hold me over until I get this thing. Thanks for this thread, it was a huge help in deciding on my next toy, I mean cooker.
Wow.

Congrats on the cooker! You will love it, and I can't wait to see some of your cooks on it. The next 4-6 weeks will be some of the longest of your life. However, the wait will make the arrival that much more sweet!

I'm very curious about how it will cook with the GrillGrates. I didn't order any because I use my KJ for most direct cooks, but I really want to see how this cooker performs with those grates.

Again, congrats!

Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #147
unixadm
Take a breath!

Thanks. The YS1500 should be a good fit for me. I may buy the stainless lower grates from Yoder at some point - however adding them now pushed the price above my budget so I figure I can do without that option for now.

I'm not sure how it will grill, but I've read pretty much nothing but good things about Grill Grates. I don't grill very often but I figured for the price it would allow me to the option and give me some extra flexibility with the cooker.

Now I just need to sell my other pellet cookers while I wait for this new one.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #148
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thank you so much for such a detailed write up. That thing seems amazing!!
You may have me thinking about a pellet pooper and I'm a charcoal/stick man myself.

"I don't usually make biscuits on my cooker, but when I do I use my YS1500"

Just had to put that in there

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #149
unixadm
Take a breath!

I called Tom this morning and ordered the YS1500. I cannot wait! What a difference a "thread" makes because a week ago I wasn't going to buy anything!

Now I need to sell my other cookers while I wait for this thing to show up.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #150
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Thank you so much for such a detailed write up. That thing seems amazing!!
You may have me thinking about a pellet pooper and I'm a charcoal/stick man myself.

"I don't usually make biscuits on my cooker, but when I do I use my YS1500"

Just had to put that in there
I'm a stick guy too, and I still plan to get a stickburner or two down the road. This I really feel that this pit is a "stickburners" pellet pit. It's as close to a hybrid of the two as you get, and you get similar results with less effort. Now I get food the way I want it to taste without all of the effort. It's almost cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
I called Tom this morning and ordered the YS1500. I cannot wait! What a difference a "thread" makes because a week ago I wasn't going to buy anything!

Now I need to sell my other cookers while I wait for this thing to show up.
I saw your other cookers for sale posted elsewhere this morning. I'm glad this thread was helpful for you and I hope you find it worth you efforts, I know I did.

Tags
food pron, pellet cooker, pellet grill, pellet smoker, smoke, Yoder, Yoder Smokers, Yoder YS1500