• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sunday night cook

BevoBurn96

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Started a new diet a couple of weeks ago (no gluten, no soy). Fortunately, this won't slow me down on the pit. Been to several new grocery stores now trying to figure out how to still cook the things we like, but to do it minus the usual ingredients. It's going well so far and we even decided to look into healthier meat choices and other things "organic". Found a meat market in Seabrook that sells free-range meat. They cut us a deal on a family pack which included a smorgasbord of meat: chicken, buffalo, beef, bacon. We had the buffalo burgers last night. :clap: So long story short, tonight I cooked up the yard-bird using the beer can method but with coca cola and some rub instead.
IMG_2362.jpg
The pit was very hot today due to a "small" grease fire leftover from the 70 lbs of pork butt smoked a couple of weekends ago. :tsk: I had to wait for it to clear out to avoid getting nasty smoke on dinner. I'd mucked it out, but apparently not good enough. The result of this pre-heat, however, had the pit at 450 F and the chicken finished in only 30 minutes once I finally got it on.
IMG_2364.jpg
I used a spray bottle and basted the chicken in coke too.
The wife made up a tabouli style salad using red quinoa, cucumbers and cilantro. We've also discovered a new biscuit mix based on rice flour.
IMG_2367.jpg
To make room in the freezer for the meat, we pulled out frozen blackberries picked earlier in the year. The new biscuit mix was again put to use to make a cobbler. The grill had so much residual heat, I cooked the cobbler on the pit as well at 350 F for 30 minutes.
IMG_2368.jpg
:clap2:
IMG_2369.jpg
:heh: I think this new diet is doable.

good job. for the record, in keeping w/your diet, you can also try cider vinegar or straight water for your liquid instead of beer/coke products.

Looks great! So why is soy a problem? You can go gluten free or go with Bragg's Liquid Aminos (soy protein). I use that lots as a base for a teriyaki marinade.

I still haven't done all my reading, but there are two camps :fencing: one that thinks soy is a wonderful high protein low fat diet food and the other that says soy's proteins mimic human hormones that screw with your thyroid thus lowering ones metabolism. The jury is still out, so I thought I'd try to cut it out for a while to see if a difference was noticeable. Soy is in EVERYTHING. :ban: If it's really a problem, the general population who doesn't read food labels :flock: has no idea how much soy they consume. Apparently, if soy is fermented as in some sauces, the proteins in question have been consumed with the fermentation which makes it ok. :confused: Then in my (internet) reading, I came across the point that many farm animals beef, chicken, pork, etc are all fed soy too....so if we are what we eat and this applies to animals too....then that's an even bigger problem. I've not found much in scientific terms to support the internet claims, so the research continues. Exclusively grass fed meat is crazy expensive, :crazy: so I need to find some compelling evidence before I commit my pocketbook on that one.

Back