MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #31
Kave Dweller
Take a breath!

I "walk" mine up to temp. Leave the door up till 190-200, then set the guru at 215, when it over shoots to 220, I adjust to 220, and go up 5 degrees at a time. Its hard for them to cool once they are going, so I just take my time and walk it up.

Creators of "Reverse Shigging": When your competition wants to know what your doing so they know what doesn't work.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #32
Dragline
Knows what a fatty is.

Tom is your competitor new?
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #33
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Que View Post
bricks? on the brethren? prepare yourself for excommunication.
I'm cool with being a heretic. I'll take the two GCs, five top fives overall and an additonal three top tens since last spring when I made the switch. Don't even get me started on the modified deflector plate I had made for my EP. It all works for me, but there's more than one way to the top of the mountain.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #34
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Que View Post
bricks? on the brethren? prepare yourself for excommunication.
I'm cool with being a heretic. I'll take the two GCs, five top fives overall and an additonal three top tens since last spring when I made the switch. Don't even get me started on the modified deflector plate I had made for my EP. It all works for me, but there's more than one way to the top of the mountain. Except putting beans in chili. If you do that, you're an idiot.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #35
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I've used briq's for 8 of the 9 years cooking on the backwoods. I've won a few things too.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

What brand of briqs are you guys using?
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #37
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
What brand of briqs are you guys using?
My prefered brand is Royal Oak Chef Select restaurant/institutional (marked "Not For Resale") in 40 lb. bags. I can get those for $17.00 a bag and have been quite pleased. As a side note, I find it kind of funny they say Not For Resale yet I'm buying them.

When I can't get the Royal Oak I use Kingsford Comp. Gotta be more careful with those as they burn pretty hot. Just one less variable to worry about when you're by yourself for 90% of the cook.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #38
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit R View Post
My prefered brand is Royal Oak Chef Select restaurant/institutional (marked "Not For Resale") in 40 lb. bags. I can get those for $17.00 a bag and have been quite pleased. As a side note, I find it kind of funny they say Not For Resale yet I'm buying them.

When I can't get the Royal Oak I use Kingsford Comp. Gotta be more careful with those as they burn pretty hot. Just one less variable to worry about when you're by yourself for 90% of the cook.
I'm with Kit on this one. I use briqs in my Party. Lump burns too hot and fast.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #39
Dragline
Knows what a fatty is.

briqs lump personal pref I use lump cooker don't care just have to learn the cooker with what one uses. Podge didn't you have an issue with your new BWS competitor when you first got it running a lil hot?
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #40
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Bet there has never been a comment card that says,
Tastes like you used Kingsford

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #41
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
briqs lump personal pref I use lump cooker don't care just have to learn the cooker with what one uses. Podge didn't you have an issue with your new BWS competitor when you first got it running a lil hot?
I had door seal issues, that caused it to get hot, but got those fixed.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #42
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Back to the Lump/briq question... if you have a BWS that is properly sealed, even if one fuel burns hotter than the other, therefore your BTU per pound of fuel may be different, but 225 is 225, and the guru will control that. The only difference you should see then, is the amount of fuel used per hour.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #43
dhuffjr
Full Fledged Farker

I use briq's because Old Dave told me they work better in a backwoods. Tried it and he is right. One of these days I'll get a bigger basket from Yolkup and get an even longer burn time.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #44
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

real blowhards claim that not only can they taste kingsford in a entry, but if it was also cooked on a backwoods too. lol
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #45
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
Exactly. Perfectly stated. That's why I said that I didn't want to make this a briquettes vs. lump issue. If someone asks what I do I'll tell them (usually). It may or may not work for them. In fact, I've wasted more time than I care to admit taking something someone else does and trying to force it into my program, only to later realize it doesn't work for me.