My First Brisket

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Walmart had briskets on sale for $1.98/lb, so my wife picked up a 10lb one. I rubbed it with Bigmista's beef rub and it is now resting overnight in the fridge.

I am planning to smoke it hot and fast on the Akorn tomorrow. Here goes nothing!

Here it is:

Did not get a shot of it after slicing, but it was wonderful. I cooked it on the Akorn with Royal Oak Chef's Select Charcoal and a couple of chunks of Pecan. It took about 5.5 hours at 325*F. I checked on it when the IT was 200*F, but the flat still had some resistance. I let it go another 30 minutes and it probed perfectly. I was really surprised at the quality of the meat, since it was labeled Select.

Lessons learned:

1. Trim more fat before cooking.
2. BigMista's Beef Rub rocks!
3. Hot and fast cooking on the Akorn is soooo easy. I was able to do all sorts of things while the brisket was cooking. I like my RF offset, but sometimes it's nice to set it and forget it.

looks pretty good to me...and I wish I could get brisket that cheap--it's usually more like $4/lb around here :mmph:

Here it is:

Did not get a shot of it after slicing, but it was wonderful. I cooked it on the Akorn with Royal Oak Chef's Select Charcoal and a couple of chunks of Pecan. It took about 5.5 hours at 325*F. I checked on it when the IT was 200*F, but the flat still had some resistance. I let it go another 30 minutes and it probed perfectly. I was really surprised at the quality of the meat, since it was labeled Select.

Lessons learned:

1. Trim more fat before cooking.
2. BigMista's Beef Rub rocks!
3. Hot and fast cooking on the Akorn is soooo easy. I was able to do all sorts of things while the brisket was cooking. I like my RF offset, but sometimes it's nice to set it and forget it.

Looks great!

Back