MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

[quote=wmaes47;2380447]This is a map of current KCBS Rep locations...

http://goo.gl/maps/LVVJ4

Thanks wmaes...that map surprises me...I knew we only had one here (Mark Silver) but I thought there would be more reps in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
You should do it JD! You'd be great at it!
I would love to but we only get 1 or 2 KCBS comps per year in WA State...and only 1 this year so it would take forever to meet the criteria. Plus...we're not ready to give up cookin' just yet...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #17
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Obviously not...or I wouldn't have asked the question!
Sorry - I didn't mean to appear flippant.

I assumed you knew that the Reps are the only people who can "see through the blind" as it is their job to deal with the teams, judges and score cards. Participating or view the Rep's duties while competing at the same time would break the double blind system that is the cornerstone of KCBS.

Not to mention that it would be impossible to be in two places at one time: the Reps are working in the Judging tent at the same time the cooks are preparing their entries.

I agree that their is a shortage of *good* Reps at many times nationwide. On paper it appears that there are sufficient Reps, but there are only a subset that are in high demand. I think more Reps should be created, and the dead wood removed from the pool.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
JD McGee

Default Re: We need more KCBS Reps up here...

No worries...it's all good! The responsibilities for PNWBA reps are very different in that it IS possible to be a rep and compete at the same comp.
Cheers!
JD

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
No worries...it's all good! The responsibilities for PNWBA reps are very different in that it IS possible to be a rep and compete at the same comp.
Cheers!
JD

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I know who would have thought an organization for the cooks by the cooks was possible.. Looks like your stuck with us

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #20
Iso
Knows what a fatty is.

KCBS has a couple of ECs up here John. The biggest hurdle is head judges. One event had to fly head judges from Arkansas. That means they had to pay for 2 head judges: round trip airfare, car rental, hotel accommodations, & mileage to/from the airport. This added thousands of dollars to the cost of the event.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #21
tigerpaw
Knows what a fatty is.

I respectfully disagree with the comments on why would anyone expect a Contest Rep to recommend anyone for taking their job. Have you seen their job?? :) It isn’t really the greatest job in the world. The pay is not that great, they have to deal with any and all issues many of which have nothing to do with their job description, weather issues, travel issues, contest organizers overbooking judges and upset judges who now are not needed, hauling a half a ton of stuff around through own vehicle or rental not to mention getting it all through airports if flying to event - laptops and printers and all the needed paperwork through airports, time away from work and family for up to 4 ½ days per week, etc etc etc And yes I have asked about becoming a CR and been meet with enthusiasm by each current CR I have spoken to about this and their thoughts on the job. This would be three CR’s I have spoken to in past year. Each very enthusiastically said go for it and felt I should try to become one. Blowing smoke? Don’t believe that to be the case. I think some of them don’t like having to be on the road numerous weekends. I also think some are getting burned out for lack of additional people. I also see issues with more contests being added and not anyone stepping up to the plate to help. CR’s are not without a life expectancy. So there needs to be replacements for them coming up through the ranks. Having watched one in particular very closely at several events to get an idea of what I would be in for if I chose to go this route, there would be NO WAY POSSIBLE to rep and cook at same event. He is the energizer bunny. He’s finding power for a team that cannot get any, water for another team that is lacking a connection, filling forms, handing out replacement boxes as needed, assigning team numbers to teams, putting team number on each box, ( 100 team event x 4 boxes = 400 writing a team number on a box lid), then printing off dummy numbers to cover those number and connecting the dummy number to the team number in the system, checking in teams, verifying with each team the clock he is using and the time he has shown, verifying turn in times conducting team meetings, conducting judges meeting, conducting table captain meetings, helping with scoring entry into computer, confirming teams do not if at all possible land a second box entry onto a judges table already that has had an entry from them in another category, assigning judges to tables and dealing with those extra judges who were told to show by contest organizers, trying to please judges, teams and public – seen people come to him and complain to high heaven they are pissed off they can’t sample any of the bbq and blame him for this rather than contest organizers taking it all with understanding - and numerous other duties. Herding cats comes to mind when I think of this job.
tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #22
big brother smoke

[quote=JD McGee;2381165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaes47 View Post
This is a map of current KCBS Rep locations...

http://goo.gl/maps/LVVJ4

Thanks wmaes...that map surprises me...I knew we only had one here (Mark Silver) but I thought there would be more reps in California.

I would love to but we only get 1 or 2 KCBS comps per year in WA State...and only 1 this year so it would take forever to meet the criteria. Plus...we're not ready to give up cookin' just yet...

California has two great Reps, that are not listed, Kelly and Kathleen Mcintosh.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #23
wmaes47
On the road to being a farker

Default They are on the map...

[quote=big brother smoke;2384483]
Quote:

California has two great Reps, that are not listed, Kelly and Kathleen Mcintosh.
I trained beside Kathleen and Kelly... They are very good

Zoom into the area where San Diego is located and click on the left flame...

They are on the list at the left, also...

Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
big brother smoke

[quote=wmaes47;2384531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post

I trained beside Kathleen and Kelly... They are very good

Zoom into the area where San Diego is located and click on the left flame...
Yup, the zooming worked, thanks.