• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Festival Debit\Credit Card

Buckscent

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do you guy's that set up on the side of the road or do festivals or basically go where no phone line is available for Debit\Credit Cards? I will be setting up in different towns in my state and most people these day's use debit cards and I will have no access to phone lines.

I had the same questions when I started but found most will have cash and the rest will find an ATM. Never had a customer come up yet and did not buy because I did not take cards. The rates they all charge is not worth it for me.

What do you guy's that set up on the side of the road or do festivals or basically go where no phone line is available for Debit\Credit Cards? I will be setting up in different towns in my state and most people these day's use debit cards and I will have no access to phone lines.

There's a new goodie out there called The Square which allows you to take credit cards via your iPhone, Android, or iPad. I saw it in action last night and it works really well. No contract or monthly fee required. I was impressed enough that I might have to buy an iPhone.

Last season I used a wireless debit machine. That cost well over $60 per month with no transaction cost.

I will not be re-using it as it really did not pay having it.

I agree with the comments above. Cash is best and ATM's are always nearby.

Do cash only, by the time you pay the fee's plus wait for the money to be deposited into your account you'd wish had just stuck with cash.

Credit/Debit cards, good question. First of all, you don't have to have a phone line. You can swipe the cards with an old fashion card imprinter and then batch them out later when you get to a phone line. The only problem with this is you don't get instant confirmation #s, but in my 7 years in business, I never had one that did not go through. Much safer than checks. There are other options, as others have mentioned, as well. If you are not doing a lot of sales, then it may be cost prohibitive. But you will lose sales and you will loose money over it. I guarantee it. Take your cost, subtract your potential lost sales, add your added sales and then ask yourself if it is worth it.

Square (as mentioned above) seems to be an excellent program. All you really need is a business account at your bank to qualify, and there is no monthly fee, just a % of each transaction

There's a new goodie out there called The Square which allows you to take credit cards via your iPhone, Android, or iPad. I saw it in action last night and it works really well. No contract or monthly fee required. I was impressed enough that I might have to buy an iPhone.

that is cool, thanks for the heads up!:cool:

I use a wireless service cost me 30 a month and 0.07% of the sale and .15 card swipe. I have to say that it has increased my business. I have a year round road side stand.

Back