Anyone ever smoke a tongue?

MAsQue

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Search of the recipe database comes up blank. Search of the forums brings up a lot of personal details I just don't need to know. Anyone got a recipe?

I think Thirdeye and BobBrisket have smoked a tounge.
Im sure they will be here shortley to help ya out.

Oddly enough, since we started with the smokers I'd never thought to smoke a tongue! I used to make great tongue in the crockpot though, so low and slow would be an ideal application. I'd give it a brine with bay, peppercorns, garlic and whatever spices you like, not too heavy on the salt though -- just enough to help carry the flavors into the meat.

My mom "potted" them in a sweet and sour tomato base. We lived in Brightwaters so it must be a south shore thing Bob. I've had linguisa (sp) tacos recently that tasted like the tenderest pot roast ever. I'm looking forward to hearing more on this.l

Below is a clip from my cookin' site. Even though tongue is becoming more popular in tacos all the time, it still sounds weird to some folks..... but you will be suprised how well received tongue is when they actually taste it.

BEEF - Smoked Tongue

08f05c31.jpg

Tongue
Water
Beer – 1 bottle
2T chopped garlic
2 green onions, chopped
2 bay leaves
1t salt
2t black pepper
Thick sliced bacon

Soak tongue in salted water for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Drain and replace with fresh cold water and continue to soak overnight, changing water once more.

Remove from the refrigerator and simmer soaked tongue in water and beer to cover, with the seasonings above for 1-1/2 hours.

Remove tongue to cool, then peel skin and trim fat. Season with a no-sugar beef rub, paint with a coating of mustard, add a little more rub.

4a733215.jpg

Set up cooker for barbecue temperatures no higher than 250°, using pecan and apple wood. Add a slice of bacon on top. Prepare a basting sauce with apple juice, cider vinegar, oil, salt & pepper. Turn and baste every 30 minutes, moving the bacon to the topside on each turn. In about 2 hours the internal temperature will be 150°. Remove & cool.

Serve, sliced thin with horseradish sauce and/or ground mustard as an hors d’oeurve or on sandwiches.

Re brine: How much salt per gallon of water are we talking?

I used to serve tongue sandwiches in a kosher-style restaurant I worked in, but we simmered it. I imagine that smoked would need less salt.

I was surprised at how much a tongue sells for these days.

Never smoked one, but I'd like to give Thirdeye's method a try sometime. I mostly boil or simmer and and then slice and then pan fry till brown. From there it's my mom's pea and celery sauce. Only thing is, she's never given me the recipe so I just try to create it on my own, but it's not the same. And yes, tongue is very expensive nowadays.

Back