MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Mr Applejacks
Got Wood.

Default HOW MUCH? pulled pork to go 350lbs

how much would you charge per lb 350 pounds about 40 butts for smoked pork shoulder pulled and put in trays to go? (for an event)

Old 04-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Applejacks View Post
how much would you charge per lb 350 pounds about 40 butts for smoked pork shoulder pulled and put in trays to go? (for an event)

$8 per pound, all day.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

This is a little confusing? What kind of event. I have many numbers in mind depending on the type of event.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

$8 per pound cooked product correct?

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Mr Applejacks
Got Wood.

ok seems a little high but thats why I was asking. I wanted to see if I was charging too little. I figured about 4.69-5.99lb.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

are you charging that for the cooked product or the raw product????

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
bbqpitstop

wow, either my math sucks or I'm selfish about what my time is worth. We get 10.95 a pound for pulled pork.......take the higher fluctuating price of raw product at 1.29 per pound.....times by two for the worst yield of cooked product equal 2.60....times by three for the typical overhead, profit, cost of goods sold formula, equals 7.80....;per pound of cooked product. Now considering that's just the formula on the meat alone, I consider the same formula for the roll, the time spent and the wear and tear of smoker, wood, rub, sauce etc........you get the picture.......also the fact that the market in my area seems to have no problem paying that price. A third pound sandwich is still under four dollars compared to my restaurant price of 5.99 (includes one side) and they're still getting a great bulk deal.
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

When I sell pork by the pound vending I get 15 a pound to go. I think this person is asking for raw product price. He is talking how much for 350 lbs or 40 butts. If I was going to charge raw product I would charge around 7 a pound for the raw wieght.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Last edited by Jacked UP BBQ; 04-26-2010 at 03:40 PM..
Old 04-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with Matt.
40 butts will not get you close to 350lbs.

$10.00/lb for cooked pork all day with sauce.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqpitstop View Post
wow, either my math sucks or I'm selfish about what my time is worth. We get 10.95 a pound for pulled pork.......take the higher fluctuating price of raw product at 1.29 per pound.....times by two for the worst yield of cooked product equal 2.60....times by three for the typical overhead, profit, cost of goods sold formula, equals 7.80....;per pound of cooked product. Now considering that's just the formula on the meat alone, I consider the same formula for the roll, the time spent and the wear and tear of smoker, wood, rub, sauce etc........you get the picture.......also the fact that the market in my area seems to have no problem paying that price. A third pound sandwich is still under four dollars compared to my restaurant price of 5.99 (includes one side) and they're still getting a great bulk deal.

$8 per pound for the pork, cooked and in pans, ready to pick up. If my customer wanted sauce, buns, trays, napkins, that's another story. In Redding area (Nor Cal), things are not as pricey as LA/OC.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
Mr Applejacks
Got Wood.

winner I guess 8.00 seems to be the average C Rocke is correct just cooked meat in pans to go thats it. and 1.29lb is what I paid last week and I got 20 butts can't remember total pounds but they averaged 9lbs
Old 04-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Applejacks View Post

With 40 butts you will not have 350 lbs of meat though will you?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
With 40 butts you will not have 350 lbs of meat though will you?
my math at 9 lb's per says 360 lbs raw or about 180 cooked. Add at least 20% if sauce is in the pan so that is now up to 216 lbs. Way short of 350 lbs unless Mr. Applejacks meant total raw weight of 350 and that's 600 - 700 servings.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #14
Mr Applejacks
Got Wood.

That would be raw weight but that raised a good question. I think the customer told me that was cooked weight.