MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
The Wooden Pig
Got Wood.

Default Working on a brochure

Three weeks ago we closed the doors on our restaurant The Wooden Pig Barbeque & Ice Cream. Catering was always a successful & huge part of our business so we decided to continue on as The Wooden Pig Barbeque Catering Company.
We kept the building since it has an approved kitchen and we'll be able to use the dining room for parties. It's a perfect setup for smaller events. Seating for 75+
Two weeks ago we catered for 500 over 3 shifts at a local company. Exhausting yes but a great success.
On with my point here...
In order to drum up business, I need to develop a brochure that is effective. I've started working on the framework for the brochure. It will include the following...
* A brief history of The Wooden Pig
* Detail 3 different meal options with add on choices as well.
* Reservations & Policy information
* Contact information etc.
Anything I'm missing? Suggestions, ideas...
Thanks
Tim

Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would hire or find some other way to get Rick of Rick's Tropical Delight to come down and shoot a batch of pictures of my BBQ for the brochure. Selling the public on how great your 'cue is the main purpose of the brochure and I have rarely seen pictures of BBQ that make me want to eat BBQ more than Rick's.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

I agree, pics are invaluable. I would also check with your local Chamber of Commerce, they may have some of those services available for low or no cost. I know ours has alot of those services for their members.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Get testimonials from past and current clients. Don't have to be long and drawn out but word of mouth is the best advertising, so put some in your brochure.
In the layout portion, make it flow and use color. Yes it is expensive to go full color, but color sells and makes you look more professional. Gloss paper stock is a nice touch as well. Doesn't need to be to heavy, but shouldn't be to light. Start looking at what other brochures are printed on and how they look and see what you like.
I am glad the catering side has remained. I was bummed when I read that you were closing and wasn't sure what direction you were going to take.
Good luck.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
Sarge
Got Wood.

Layout of the brochure is very important. Use the back for your history, inside you can use the three sections to outline each of your menu options and include a picture in each column. On the extra back section you can include some more photos. Also, get a website up and running if you don't have one. This is a cheap way to get lots of great pics without paying for publishing/color copies. Ditto on talking to some previous clients and getting some testimonials or quotes to help the word of mouth. Good luck with the catering, hope it goes very very well for you. Mike
Old 11-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
big brother smoke

You got some excellent advice here. My brochure encompasses what has been mentioned above. I would post, but the document is too large.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
Divemaster

Good luck! I'm thinking of doing the same thing and I'll be following this thread closely!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Let me add my two cents in about marketing.

S Y N E R G Y

Brochures are important, they are usually the first contact you have with future business with your client when they take one or one is given to them. However, what is more important is branding. There is a theory out there called the trinity. In your case (and it has been successful for me) the brochure gives a link to a web site, the web site brands you further and so does your business card. 3 points of contact. The same pictures you have in your brochure should answer basic questions but a portion needs to draw people to your website where videos (hosted by youtube and embedded in your website for free) show people having a good time, show your food, maybe give a little recipe, show some customer accounts of your business... all those things that people want explained later.

More and more people are getting their info from the computer. Its called selling while you sleep, or cook, LOL.

Your business card should point them to the website, the brochure should point them to the website, and the website should call on the viewer to submit their address so that you can mail them an information package that has a brochure in it.

Sounds difficult but its not... heck use MY Space or Face Book at first. Buying your own webdomain costs roughly 30 for 2 years. The new business out there comes from the net... people are beginning to spend more time in front of the computer watching video than they are watching TV.

Why do you think I make the wild videos I do?

You, of course don;t need to go that far.... but a video of those people you just catered to would be priceless for anyone looking online for a caterer... when they see someone on video eating and having a good time... they PLACE themselves in their place... by the time they reach for the phone to call you they are already sold. Brochures are important... but deadly in combination with other media. Meaning the second contact is deadlier than the first.

PS any callers inquiring that you sell or don't sell, after you get their contact information, direct them to the website as well... it helps close the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wooden Pig View Post
Three weeks ago we closed the doors on our restaurant The Wooden Pig Barbeque & Ice Cream. Catering was always a successful & huge part of our business so we decided to continue on as The Wooden Pig Barbeque Catering Company.
We kept the building since it has an approved kitchen and we'll be able to use the dining room for parties. It's a perfect setup for smaller events. Seating for 75+
Two weeks ago we catered for 500 over 3 shifts at a local company. Exhausting yes but a great success.
On with my point here...
In order to drum up business, I need to develop a brochure that is effective. I've started working on the framework for the brochure. It will include the following...
* A brief history of The Wooden Pig
* Detail 3 different meal options with add on choices as well.
* Reservations & Policy information
* Contact information etc.
Anything I'm missing? Suggestions, ideas...
Thanks
Tim
PS any callers inquiring that you sell or don't sell, after you get their contact information, direct them to the website as well... it helps close the deal.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
let me add my two cents in about marketing.

S y n e r g y

brochures are important, they are usually the first contact you have with future business with your client when they take one or one is given to them. However, what is more important is branding. There is a theory out there called the trinity. In your case (and it has been successful for me) the brochure gives a link to a web site, the web site brands you further and so does your business card. 3 points of contact. The same pictures you have in your brochure should answer basic questions but a portion needs to draw people to your website where videos (hosted by youtube and embedded in your website for free) show people having a good time, show your food, maybe give a little recipe, show some customer accounts of your business... All those things that people want explained later.

More and more people are getting their info from the computer. Its called selling while you sleep, or cook, lol.

Your business card should point them to the website, the brochure should point them to the website, and the website should call on the viewer to submit their address so that you can mail them an information package that has a brochure in it.

Sounds difficult but its not... Heck use my space or face book at first. Buying your own webdomain costs roughly 30 for 2 years. The new business out there comes from the net... People are beginning to spend more time in front of the computer watching video than they are watching tv.

Why do you think i make the wild videos i do?

You, of course don;t need to go that far.... But a video of those people you just catered to would be priceless for anyone looking online for a caterer... When they see someone on video eating and having a good time... They place themselves in their place... By the time they reach for the phone to call you they are already sold. Brochures are important... But deadly in combination with other media. Meaning the second contact is deadlier than the first.

Ps any callers inquiring that you sell or don't sell, after you get their contact information, direct them to the website as well... It helps close the deal.
great advice that i plan to implement. Thank you!!!
MrsMista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
Butt Ugly
Got Wood.

Will you have to place a large bulk order on your brochures or will you be able to print them off as needed (or order in small batches)?

Smaller batches allow you to tweak your product descriptions/prices as needed. If you are going to place a high volume order for an expensive, slick paper, multicolor brochure you might consider a separate brochure "insert" with your pricing. This insert could be colored card stock xeroxed down at Kinko's...three inserts to the sheet.

Sometimes factors beyond your control can add to your advertising expense...about 20 years ago GTE decided to assign a new prefix to the phone numbers in the central part of our state...I had to scrap business cards, letterhead, magnetic door signs and so on. It probably didn't cost me more than $500 but it still was a bite!
Butt Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Honey when I get to Texas and set up and plug my new website in... you're gonna have more help than you need. You guys have what it takes... I will help you out a lot... funkmaster west.

I wish y'all could have seen the way the battling harkers worked at a fair i did. Mista will fill you in... just ask him about the hillbilly and Funkmaster giving out samples and insulting each other with Mama and redneck jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMista View Post
great advice that i plan to implement. Thank you!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
The Wooden Pig
Got Wood.

Wonderful advice! Thanks to all.
From now on, both my digital camera and video camera well be with me at each and every event we do capturing those moments.
And yes, SYNERGY is key to success, I totally agree!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Let me add my two cents in about marketing.

S Y N E R G Y

Brochures are important, they are usually the first contact you have with future business with your client when they take one or one is given to them. However, what is more important is branding. There is a theory out there called the trinity. In your case (and it has been successful for me) the brochure gives a link to a web site, the web site brands you further and so does your business card. 3 points of contact. The same pictures you have in your brochure should answer basic questions but a portion needs to draw people to your website where videos (hosted by youtube and embedded in your website for free) show people having a good time, show your food, maybe give a little recipe, show some customer accounts of your business... all those things that people want explained later.

More and more people are getting their info from the computer. Its called selling while you sleep, or cook, LOL.

Sounds difficult but its not... heck use MY Space or Face Book at first. Buying your own webdomain costs roughly 30 for 2 years. The new business out there comes from the net... people are beginning to spend more time in front of the computer watching video than they are watching TV.

Why do you think I make the wild videos I do?

You, of course don;t need to go that far.... but a video of those people you just catered to would be priceless for anyone looking online for a caterer... when they see someone on video eating and having a good time... they PLACE themselves in their place... by the time they reach for the phone to call you they are already sold. Brochures are important... but deadly in combination with other media. Meaning the second contact is deadlier than the first.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

u need me to patch something together let me know.. I can de-crazy my style too.