MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
jorrflv
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Minion Method and Lump charcoal

Does the minion method work with lump charcoal? I am planning on doing a pork butt tomorrow and my wife picked up lump instead of brick. It has been a while since I have used lump, but will it work the same in the UDS or will I have to futz with the temp more? Any advise from those who use Lump in their UDS's?

Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I only use lump and do minion most of the time. Works great.

Lump burns a little hotter.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
landarc

I have used lump and it works fine. In my UDS, I need to be a little careful and not just dump the lump in, I need to pack it a little bit more.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
gtr

Lump works fine, but you gotta be a little more careful when loading the basket than you do with briqs since the pieces aren't nearly as uniform. It burns hotter and faster, so it's good to keep an eye on your pit temps if you don't normally use lump, but yeah, it works fine and leaves a lot less ash too.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
BobM
Babbling Farker

Lump will work fine, you might have to tweak the settings you are used to a bit.

Sent from my Android phone.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My small WSM is chugging away now on a load of lump lit on top with a weed burner.I started it at 10 am it is 4 pm here now.been holding a steady 300 temp and still have at least 1/2 of the original load of lump remaining.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
jorrflv
Knows what a fatty is.

Thank you all for your advice. You confirmed my thoughts, but since we are having people over I wanted to make sure. So I will

1. Pack the coals in tighter to avoid large air pockets.
2. Start with a few less coals in the can than I usually do since it burns hotter.
3. Watch the temps a litter closer and will probably need to close my ball valve a little more than usual.

Anything I missed?

Old 02-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorrflv View Post
Does the minion method work with lump charcoal? I am planning on doing a pork butt tomorrow and my wife picked up lump instead of brick. It has been a while since I have used lump, but will it work the same in the UDS or will I have to futz with the temp more? Any advise from those who use Lump in their UDS's?
all lump is not created equal.

What brand of lump is it? Have you opened the bag and looked at it yet?
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
jorrflv
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
all lump is not created equal.

What brand of lump is it? Have you opened the bag and looked at it yet?
It was Royal Oak Lump.

What should I be looking for?

Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorrflv View Post
It was Royal Oak Lump.

What should I be looking for?
thats a pretty solid brand

things to look for are foreign materials in it and the size of the pieces.

I bought a bag of Best of the West and it was 1/4 dust, most of it was very small pieces that burned up very quickly

It was not the Best of the West thats for sure!!!

Just a heads up, you want a nice selection of large, medium and some smaller pieces.
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Bludawg

I pack the basket with lump in 4 layers: 1st layer lump, 2nd layer lump & 2 chunks, 3rd layer Lump & 2 chunks 90 deg out from the previous, top layer lump and 2 chunks, I use 10-15 briquettes to fire it up. I find that using the briquettes gives me a slight advantage in consistency to dial it in to my cook temp.

Tags
Lump coal.