Sunday Dinner

Single Fin Smoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Alright, so my oldest boy and I like to cook Salmon and shrimp on the weber on Sundays. He and I are the only two in the house that eat fish. He does most of the cooking. What your lookin at is some cheap Stater Bros. salmon and shrimp, a hearts of palm salad with cherry tomatoes, some dirty rice, and some left over corn. I may have posted something like this before, but this was yesterday.
I lay some soaked mesquite chips on the the charcoals, let the salmon smoke indirect for about 10 minutes or so, then finish it direct.

DSC02887.JPG

DSC02888.JPG

DSC02889.JPG

DSC02890.JPG

Hard to believe you get a kid to eat that. Glad you can bond like that. When is he joining the comp team?

That looks really goooood. My favorite fish is Salmon on the barbie and my wife loves shrimp. I think since Ihave joined this forum a little over a month ago I have gained a few pounds.

Yeah! It was stinky and gross comin from the Ghetto Bros., where poor people like me shop. Costs like 6 bucks too.

Salmon: I rub with steak dust, Fiesta brisket rub, then I mix some garlic-herb-lemon butter.
Shrimp: Fiesta rib rub.

Comes out pretty good on the weber. My kid would eat it everyday if he could.

Damn I love that kettle!

Man, I want to do salmon now! on the kettle! HELP I'm drifting away from the UDS!!!:p We have here Atlantic Salmon, for 5.99 a lb., or some frozen ones, we do have the PNW, but expensive.
Kev. what were your times and temp for the salmon?

I honestly have no temp or time for this. Just by feel. Once you start doing regular fish on the kettle its easy brother!

Its simple indirect/direct cooking at its best. When your coals are completely lit, lay them in a pile to the side(if you don't have charcoal boxes to hold them).
Then lay a handful of soaked mesquite(or whatever wood smoke you like) chips on top. Open open top and one of the bottom vents, then lay your salmon off to the oposite side of the coals for about 10 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the cut. Its cooking and smoking at the same time.
Opinions vary, but we like ours on the well done side.
Then, I lay the salmon directly on the fire for about a minute or so per side. Thats all it need.
When its finished, put the lid back on and close off all vents so as to choke that fire off asap. This will help you recycle the unburned coals.
Roy, you better be takin some pics of your kettle salmon for us!

That really looks tasty. I throw some alder wood on the coals for salmon. Mesquite and i dont get along. But its all good.

Back