MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #12511
jfanent
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

OK. I read thru 405 pages of this thread, constructed a UDS with 3 1" intakes with 3/4in nipples and one ball valve on an 18" riser. I have 4 3/4in outlet vents on top. Burned out the barrel (which was unlined but i didn't know what was in it.....the lining was silver and got some light surface rust just sitting out overnight), seasoned it with spray vegetable oil. It burned hot (450-500) for 7 hours and had a hard black coating on the inside after it was done....no residue on a finger swipe.

Hooray, i thought. Yesterday I put on a fatty and 10 chicken thighs to break it in. To make a long story short, they came out terrible. Waaaay to smoky. I used a half basket of charcoal with 3 fist sized chunks of hickory and a few smaller slivers. Started about 15 briquets in the chimney and then dumped them on the firebox. The UDS held a steady 250 the entire time with one of the intake caps on. I waited for the smoke to die down before putting the meat on, but it never got to the point I would consider TBS. Once I put the meat on, the smoke got very thick for a while. I checked the meat at 2hrs, and never opened the lid until that point. At 2.5 hrs I pulled everything as both the chicken and the fatty were near 180 degrees. The chicken was good without the skin, and the fatty was good with the bacon removed. The skin and bacon were so smoky we couldn't eat it.

It's obvious I have a problem with smoke control, but how do I fix it? I've come up with several possible fixes but I'm not sure which apply, and I don't want to make more work for myself.

Add 2 more 3/4" outlets to the lid

Wait until there's nothing but TBS before I put the meat on

Use less wood

Scrub the barrel back to bare metal and reseason

???
jfanent is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:15 AM   #12512
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

IMHO you should at least double your exhaust.
Chicken I prefer higher temps like 315, not 250 to get crispy skin.
You can use less or no wood to get the smoke profile your looking for.
After dumping on the hot coals you should wait till you get the drum stabilized or close to the temp you want to cook at.
It's all about air management.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #12513
icebox114
Got Wood.

Many thanks to all these pages and all the tips from brethren around the world, I've finished my UDS! Proud to finally add it to this great thread. Christening it as I type with a 14 pound brisket. Think I've got my airflow figured out, temps are steady. I think I've created my own "man's best friend".

icebox114 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #12514
wdpope1
Got Wood.

lovely sunny sunday, smoker stinking up the whole neighborhood got the ABTs on for a snack Boston Butt at 175 UDS at 233 havoing hard time waiting for my supper
wdpope1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #12515
Jsmith
Found some matches.

Icebox, love what you did for the adjustable shelf. Curious what you used and where I might be able to get it.

Thanks,

Old 08-05-2015, 03:21 AM   #12516
jabbey71
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Seasoning

I'm getting ready to season my UDS. I'm going to either spray Pam or coat the inside with crisco oil. What temp will be a good temp to season this drum at and for how long. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0804151728.jpg (22.7 KB, 845 views)
jabbey71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-05-2015, 06:06 AM   #12517
ebijack
Babbling Farker

It's a good time to play with temps and see how long your able to get stable at them. A couple hours at least for seasoning. Go from 250 ish to as high as your able to get without any food in the drum See if you can hold at 50 deg increments. Once you add food into the drum, you most likely won't be able to hit as high of temps.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:37 AM   #12518
jabbey71

Default Charcoal Amount

I'm going to season my UDS this weekend weather permitting for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours at around 250. My charcoal basket is 17" round and 12" high. I'm going to put some chicken on afterwards to cook but I don't think I want to fill the basket completely. How much charcoal would be enough for seasoning and cooking. Also approximately how many lit charcoals should I place on top of the unlit charcoal from my chimney starter. This will be my 1st Drum smoker that i'll be using. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:48 AM   #12519
ebijack
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...70&postcount=1

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #12520
jabbey71

Thanks for the link. Very appreciated..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post

Old 08-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #12521
ThatQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hello Drumheads. Newbie here. Have read the first 250 pages of this awesome thread. I know what I want and I think I know how to get there (thanks to first 250 pages). Picked up a drum today $15 bucks. Guy says it was from a chocolate factory. No Liner open head. In my exuberance of my lucky find I did not pay close attention to the label on the drum. Upon further inspection of the label I see caustic in the description. Not sure if this is something I should be using. Posting Pics (hopefully). Thank you.
-Bill

ThatQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #12522
ThatQ

Since the picture showed up posting another one of the inside of the drum. Looks like pretty much bare steel with light rust. Was careful about not sticking my head in there after reading the label.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #12523
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's some data on the material from the drum.
http://www.strykerchem.com/docs/PELSCaustic.pdf

Mine had Kawasaki motor oil in it but I just burned it out real good before cooking on it. Good luck with the build!
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #12524
ThatQ

Thank you for information. I will do a burn and tide scrub up and see what shakes. Have begun to assemble some goodies for the build. Need to get some expanded metal for firebox.
-Bill

Old 08-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #12525
damascusmaker

Default Adding photos of my UDS

Just built 2 or 3 months ago. Still learning, but it works great. Longest smoke was 24.5 hours, original load of fuel, added one chunk of apple late. Shut down there was about a double handful remaining. It did a great job on a pizza. Best things I've done have been boston butt and hotdogs.

damascusmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker