Rib Tips for Chili?

Just BS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I read on here how a lot of folks BBQ Spare Ribs and use the tips for chili.

How is that done? More specifically, how do you seperate the cartlidge from the meat.... or do you leave it and spit it out?

i haven't done it but i would bet you just smoke them until the are fall off the bone tender.. and just pick the cartlidge out and there you go.. chop it up and throw it in the pot..

Just smoke them up. And then when you make the chili put them in the pot. I personally don't remove the cartlidge. I like the added "crunch" every once in a while!

I do one of two ways...

I trim them if (I feel moved) before cooking, or just cook as they are with ribs until it pulls out of the meat. If I do the later, I add to the chili right before I remove from heat so they do not disappear in the chili.

I use the tips and all trimmings in my beans. If there is a lot to trim before smoking i will cut up real small and put in skillet with bacon and onions as my starter. If I just need to square off the rack I will leave in tact, smoke along side the ribs untill fall apart tender and add to the beans at the end.

Back