MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
vexter1
On the road to being a farker

Default Vending Rub

I was curious of what other people are doing as far as rubs go on their meats when vending?

I'm currently using a commercial product for pork butts - an 8lb container is running me ~$64 shipped. I like the rub a lot and doctor it up a little when putting it on butts when they go on the smoker. But it is a little steep as far as cost.

I was curious what other rubs I might look at or if you guys are just making up large batches of your own rub and using that when you vend or cater.

Thanks guys!
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

I don't vend or make large amounts of rub but I still make my own. I imagine you could save a lot by doing the same. Paprika, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Chilli Powder, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Turbinado or Brown Sugar and some other special ingredients like Celery Seed, Cumin, Coriander, etc... will get you a decent rub for a lot less... YMMV...

I've purchased some items from this place and was pleased with the price & quality. http://www.sfherb.com/ I'm sure there are better places... Cheers!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
vexter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
I don't vend or make large amounts of rub but I still make my own. I imagine you could save a lot by doing the same. Paprika, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Chilli Powder, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Turbinado or Brown Sugar and some other special ingredients like Celery Seed, Cumin, Coriander, etc... will get you a decent rub for a lot less... YMMV...

I've purchased some items from this place and was pleased with the price & quality. http://www.sfherb.com/ I'm sure there are better places... Cheers!!!
I would imagine it would be cheaper as well - I thought about using a basic brown sugar rub with salt/pepper/chili powder/garlic powder/onion powder/paprika/and a little cayenne for a pork butt rub.

Then maybe use the rub I've been using for a final sprinkle on the product just to kick it up a notch before serving.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

what is the flavor profile (i hate that phrase) of your rub? I have one that we use for catering and vending that I have made up buy a local co-pack and I am paying about $2 a lb for it...
Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
vexter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
what is the flavor profile (i hate that phrase) of your rub? I have one that we use for catering and vending that I have made up buy a local co-pack and I am paying about $2 a lb for it...
I'd say a general rub - I've used Smoking Guns in the past and liked it - so similar idea. I'd love to talk to you more about yours if it's close and how you went about getting a co-pack to do what you have them doing...sounds like a great idea to me. PM or email me if you'd rather it was not out in the open forum.

Thanks guys - any other ideas welcome!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

I will shoot you a PM...it is along the lines of SGH, but i added a different flavor as well.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #7
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

you MUST get your cost down to 2 to 2.75 a pound. I will go through a 4 gal pale on a busy weekend..If you buy in bulk you can blend your own for a 1.50 a pound, however it took a couple years before I came up with a great combo that fits MY profile,,,if you buy very good products like smokiing guns, save for your self and special cooks, but when you have 20 butts on the smoker to vend, the expensive rubs will cut your profit way down...same thing goes for sauce...use a local favorite, one that the people recognize, keep your cost at 7 to 10 dollars a gallon, doctor that and call it your own...but add just little things..need to watch cost
Old 09-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
vexter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
you MUST get your cost down to 2 to 2.75 a pound. I will go through a 4 gal pale on a busy weekend..If you buy in bulk you can blend your own for a 1.50 a pound, however it took a couple years before I came up with a great combo that fits MY profile,,,if you buy very good products like smokiing guns, save for your self and special cooks, but when you have 20 butts on the smoker to vend, the expensive rubs will cut your profit way down...same thing goes for sauce...use a local favorite, one that the people recognize, keep your cost at 7 to 10 dollars a gallon, doctor that and call it your own...but add just little things..need to watch cost
I agree wholeheartedly which is why I was asking. Too bad someone hasn't copied Smokin Guns rub and posted the recipe right?! LOL! We've had a great first year - but I'm realizing the rub is one of the costs I need to get down.

I did some digging on a co-packer here in St. Louis - I couldn't find one - if anyone knows of one here in the STL area - let me know - I'd be interested - thanks!

Keep any other suggestions coming - I really appreciate the ideas and help!
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexter1 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly which is why I was asking. Too bad someone hasn't copied Smokin Guns rub and posted the recipe right?! LOL! We've had a great first year - but I'm realizing the rub is one of the costs I need to get down.

I did some digging on a co-packer here in St. Louis - I couldn't find one - if anyone knows of one here in the STL area - let me know - I'd be interested - thanks!

Keep any other suggestions coming - I really appreciate the ideas and help!
Don't know that this is accurate or not, but I remember seeing an episode of Diners Drive ins and Dives where he went to Smokin Guns:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/k...ipe/index.html

I do remember in the episode that he put cocoa powder in the rub, which isn't listed in the ingredients.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
vexter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Don't know that this is accurate or not, but I remember seeing an episode of Diners Drive ins and Dives where he went to Smokin Guns:

I do remember in the episode that he put cocoa powder in the rub, which isn't listed in the ingredients.
cpw - I saw that link for his rub the other day while doing some digging for his recipe - I have been wanting to make it but haven't had time yet - wondering if that's smoking guns or not it'd be nice if it was...maybe I'll have to find that episode and compare the list to the episode...could be the way the re-create smoking guns at home (or at least close..)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
vexter1

Quote:

cocoa and cinnamon were the 2 ingredients not listed in the recipe - found the episode on youtube :)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexter1 View Post
cocoa and cinnamon were the 2 ingredients not listed in the recipe - found the episode on youtube :)

Let us know how it turns out if you make it, Smokin Guns is a great rub.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
vexter1

Quote:
Let us know how it turns out if you make it, Smokin Guns is a great rub.
If I do, I'll let you know how it goes. ;) Smoking Guns is a great general use rub - no doubt!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
bmarley5780

salt pepper
bmarley5780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
vexter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarley5780 View Post
salt pepper
Do you mean white pepper? I noticed it was missing too.