Anyone use a sugarless pork butt injection?

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The last time I injected a pork butt I used the famous Chris Lilly recipe from the web. It was great! BUT I noticed that the shoulder and the brisket flats sitting below it had a really black dark bark. I attributed this to the sugar in the injection (all the sugar and the apple juice). I've had similar black bark with high sugar dry rubs. I really don't like a burnt sugary black bark so I wasn't able to mix in much bark.

I loved the idea of injecting a pork shoulder as it was very tasty with good moisture but I'm curious if anyone has used a pork injection with no sugar? Maybe inject it with a vinegar based salty solution with some spice? Thoughts?

Chicken stock, cider vinegar & worcestershire is awfully good IMHO

If you decide to make an injection with butter or any other fat or oil, get some of this and dissolve a few in the mixture.

uploadfromtaptalk1340848060389.jpg

Its an emulsifier, and will keep the fats and other liquids from separating. It does not affect the taste in any way, and is perfectly safe.

I can't speak for the injection too much as I use a simple one of homemade chicken stock. I do however go with a no sugar rub. Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Kinda spicy and my favorite on butts.

Back