MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
warren.miller
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Tenderness of Brisket

I read a BBQ secrets book. In it he state that he freezes his brisket then defrosts it. He says this is his way of making sure it comes out tender. I though it sounded interesting. Has anyone tried this or hear off it? Does it work? I was under the school of thought that you age a brisket.

Thanks
warren.miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
AZScott
Take a breath!

My understanding of it is that the ice crystals will break cell walls and fibers due to expansion. Once you thaw it, more liquids will be released due to the cell damage.

Effect of freezing on sensory quality, shear force and water loss in beef M. longissimus dorsi
Å. Lagerstedt, a, , L. Enfälta, L. Johanssona and K. Lundströma
aDepartment of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P.O. Box 7051, Uppsala SE-750 07, Sweden

Abstract

The objective of this study was to determine how sensory quality, shear force and water loss differ between beef stored either chilled or frozen before cooking. Meat tenderness was analysed instrumentally and sensorially using both a consumer panel and a semi-trained panel. Both M. longissimus dorsi (LD) from eight young Holstein bulls were cut into eight samples, weighed, vacuum packed and aged at 4 °C for 2, 7 or 14 days. After ageing, the frozen samples were kept at −20 °C prior to heat treatment. Water holding capacity was recorded as purge or thawing loss and cooking loss or as combined loss. Sensory analyses were performed on samples aged 7 days. Peak force values declined with ageing time and freezing. Frozen meat aged 2 days had the same peak force values as chilled meat aged 7 days. Total energy was the same for both treatments at day 2 and 7, whereas at day 14 frozen samples showed significantly higher values than chilled samples. The sensory panel experienced the chilled meat to be more tender, juicier and having a more intense meat taste than the frozen meat, whereas the consumers could not find any significant difference in degree of liking. Water holding capacity was lower for the frozen samples. The results indicate that conclusions from studies concerning sensory quality of beef will depend on whether the meat has been kept chilled or frozen before testing.

Here's another:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ0856.html

Freezing

Freezing rate plays a small role in tenderness. When meat is frozen very quickly, small ice crystals form; when meat is frozen slowly, large ice crystals are formed. While the formation of large crystals may serve to disrupt components of the muscle fibers in meat and thereby increase tenderness very slightly, the large ice crystals result in an increased loss of juices upon thawing. This increase in loss of juices results in meat that is less juicy upon cooking and therefore usually is perceived as being less tender.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Doing that in no way is a good method to make sure it is tender. Only cooking it properly will do that. I am not saying it does not contribute slightly to making it more tender. What I am saying is if you do not cook it properly, even if you do it this way it will still be boot leather.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren.miller View Post
I read a BBQ secrets book. In it he state that he freezes his brisket then defrosts it. He says this is his way of making sure it comes out tender. I though it sounded interesting. Has anyone tried this or hear off it? Does it work? I was under the school of thought that you age a brisket.

Thanks
Can i suggest you throw that book in the garbage?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
warren.miller
Knows what a fatty is.

Well I thought it sounded weird. However, I am looking for any edge I can get.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
wnkt
is One Chatty Farker

I do this all the time..........mostly because I'll buy a brisket when I find a good price and I freeze it till the week Im going to smoke it and thaw it in the fridge.

I haven't cooked that many but I HAVE had one that was tough from not being in the smoker long enough, so I cut it in chunks and made burnt ends

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood
--saying in a fortune cookie--
wnkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I have to agree 100% with BBQ Bubba, i'd take that overpriced pamphlet and use it to start a fire or just file it under trash.
I really don't see anyway that freezing a brisket will break down connective tissue.
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I know some world champions that often freeze brisket.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
I know some world champions that often freeze brisket.

I know I do.

I freeze them after aging for 40 days. I slowly defrost them in the fridge a week away from the contest. I've also won with brisket that I defrosted in a cooler of water in 8 hours...

Many ways to cook BBQ. Use the way that is best suited for you.

Remember to keep it simple.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
warren.miller
Knows what a fatty is.

Scottie,

Do you age days after sell by date or when you bring it home.

I would be interested to know what world champs do this.

Im going to try it. My sell by date is oct 29.

Thanks
Warren

Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Aging is based on the kill date which is on the case not the cryovac

I am not sure "sell by dates" are consistent chain to chain or state to state
That is a good question for the Brothers
What standard are sell by dates based on?

Bought two briskets this morning with Oct 31 sell by dates
discounted to $1.99 form $2.89

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Scottie

you need to find the packaged date. Sell by date, doesn't really mean much. Packaged date at least gives you a good idea when the kill date was, as they let the beef rest for a couple of days. I'd try aging it for a week or so... Maybe 2 weeks. Trust me, if the meat went bad and you freeze it. You will still know if it's bad, as soon as you crack that cryovac.

I also have the slaughterhouse age my cases for me. Saves me fridge space and their coolers are in a controlled environment. I bring home the cases, sort them and throw them in the freezer (s). So my method is real easy.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
LGHT
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren.miller View Post
Well I thought it sounded weird. However, I am looking for any edge I can get.
Wagu!
LGHT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
Scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
Wagu!

You still have to know how to cook brisket... I've heard of a lot of guys blowing $90-100 for a Wagyu and not finishing in the top 10. A well cooked select will beat a Wagyu any day, if you don't know how to cook brisket.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
LGHT
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
You still have to know how to cook brisket... I've heard of a lot of guys blowing $90-100 for a Wagyu and not finishing in the top 10. A well cooked select will beat a Wagyu any day, if you don't know how to cook brisket.
That's obvious, but if you have a good piece of meat and you finish 10th maybe a piece of Wagu will get you into the top 3. I've heard of guys finishing 10th cooking with a good piece of meat and then placing first with wagu. Isn't ANY advantage still an advantage?
LGHT is offline   Reply With Quote