Sunday Afternoon Turkey

Trucky1008

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I wanted to do a practice turkey before Thanksgiving so I did me a #13.5 lb'er today. I soaked this guy in a brine for about 36 hours. I put a butter soaked cheesecloth over the bird for most of the cook, took it off with about 45 minutes to finish. Drizzled more butter once during the cook

This was my first smoked turkey and it turned out real good. The meat was very moist and tender and the skin got a nice crisp on it. The only change I would make is to reduce or eliminate the garlic in the brine as it was a bit strong. I'm definately ready for Thanksgiving.

3017853598_5a1d2d1939_o.jpg

3017906970_15c4db448b_o.jpg

3017853530_53a3a12c5b_o.jpg

3017853728_80d08136f8_o.jpg

Looks really good. I have never seen the butter soaked cheese cloth trick. Pretty cool.

Don, looks like you are going to make some folk happy for Thanksgiving. Looks excellent. Make sure everyone does give thanks for how fortunate we are in this wonderful USA.

Good looking turkey there Don, the single layer of butter soaked cheesecloth is awesome

Good looking turkey there Don, the single layer of butter soaked cheesecloth is awesome

It really helped to keep the skin moist until I was ready to crisp it up. One other thing I did was to run the handle of a wooden spoon under the skin to separate it from the meat. Thanks

The ole hanky trick with cheesecloth. This belongs in Southern Living.

That cheesecloth deal is a great idea. Looks like the way to go.
Thanks.

Great looking turkey cheese cloth soaked is new to me great tip thanks.

Better add more place settings at the turkey-day table.....if you smoke it, they will come.....Looks great!

I hope you don't want turkey sandwiches afterwards, because there will be no left overs....Nice Job.

That looks terrific. How long did it cook? What temp.?

Thanks for the comment. I started it out at about 170* for about an hour to allow for more smoke then cranked temp up to 330. It took 4 hr 15 minutes to reach 160* in breast.

Back