MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Beat me to it!! Darn! (speaking of, howdy from across the street! I'm in F-town as well)

I bought one from Don and his stuff is top notch. Brand new unlined drums and built with an attention to detail. He has told me that he does 1 or 2 every 2 to 4 weeks on average during the winter. He also said that it usually flip flops during the summer and gets 2 or 3 orders every week or 2. He built mine to my specs and it ran me $275. I was totally ok with paying for it because he is a great guy, built it the way I wanted it, and backs it up with recipes, tips, and tricks. He doesn't just sell it to you and then disappear. That shows a lot of integrity in a seller. I'm sure if I found something wrong with my Big Ugly, or wanted something replaced, Don would be happy to help. Good customer support is worth every penny! Anywho, enough of my rambling..

Here is a link to his CL ad to give you an idea of what he does..
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/spo/3581724861.html
Howdy Howdy Howdy
Yea, Don rules. I have two of his UDS'

Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

I would figure most people have no idea what a uds is, or how awesome a cooker it is.

But then again, BDS sold'em for some serious money. So who knows.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #18
dupemaster
On the road to being a farker

I build and sell them locally.

Been doing it for a month now and have sold 5 of them. I've been told by people here that $350 shipped to your door is too much for "just" a UDS. At $300 locally, the buyers are ecstatic to get something so well built for such a great price.

There will be plenty of people along to tell you that "no one would pay xxx$ for just a drum"

I think they underestimate the amount of people who's time is worth more than that and would never "waste" their own time building one, but would love to have one.

Also, you can offer to custom build them... I have and people love it. I love it too. If I was in it for the money it wouldn't be worth it. They take too long and cost too much to build to be worth it. But, it's fun and keeps me busy. Plus, I get to meet cool people!

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3541575393
dupemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I just looked on the BDS web page They get 475.00 for a 22 in drum an shipping is 200 +. PBC are around 300.00 I'd ask 275.00 custom built in choice of color for 1 grate and 75.00 extra for two grates.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
Astrobeerman
Knows what a fatty is.

I built mine and felt a great satisfaction building it.......these things are qing machines.....good luckk
Astrobeerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #21
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
Guess its all about how well it's built and the demand for it. We have about 10 first place chicken trophies in a little over 3 years and they were all cooked on my guru controlled UDS. I have made 5 exact clones of mine. Top of the line charcoal basket, perfectly fitting weber lid, 2 cook levels and BBQ guru for $1000. My cost is $700 and Before any of you fly off the handle on me, it's built perfect and IMO is the best designed UDS out there. Honestly for comps, I don't think there is a better chicken cooker out there! All of my drums are new, sealed, unlined virgin drums
$700?? You can almost get a green egg for that. I think a drug test is in order.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #22
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegobbq View Post
$700?? You can almost get a green egg for that. I think a drug test is in order.
Funny... I thought the same thing. I bought my LBGE in December, from a dealer, on sale for $699 + tax. Its the new model with the wide handle, so not old stock either.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #23
VoodoChild
is one Smokin' Farker

Here In phoenix as I have Looked for Drums You can get used unlind removable lid 55 gal drums for 15 bucks all day... Finding New heavy gauge drums locally are 95.00 or order From uline or similar supply chain for about the same price.. Fire basket I was quoted 45 from fabricator
Grates and hardware 60.So If I go new Barrel Im at about 2 - 225Plus 1hr assly time. Personally I wouldnt Buy 1 for more than 250.00 But if it was Already made and easy to get yes Id buy it for convienience and to support the local guy as well.
1- WEBER RANCH KETTLE

Last edited by VoodoChild; 01-31-2013 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: text
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 AM   #24
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

I've built seven. One for Me, one for a neighbor and sold the other five. I make them one at a time at my own leasure. I have had no problem getting $200 except for the one I sold to a local brethren which I just got my money back. They are fun easy projects and selling one every now and then offsets the $$$$$$ that I pay for my daughters Travel Ball Softball Team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 092311160435.jpg (139.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg ash basket.jpg (139.6 KB, 93 views)
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #25
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I've made 16 so far with two more planned. Mine are usually k.i.s.s. models and a few with Weber lids. I for the most part either give them away or somebody wants to barter for one. I put one (Weber lid) on CL for a hundred dollars and sold it in four hours with two more calls after that. I provided pics and also painted it red and took the pic at night so it really did look good. Guy I sold it to was thrilled with it. I had to put two ball valves on it cause I drilled the hole wrong and it looked funny.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #26
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

We sell them for $200-$250. Orders are backed up right now.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Building them for who is a big thought. I make and sell my design, which is not ugly or cheap. I treat this as a real business , because it is. That means I have to pay for things that the average builder at home doesn't know or care about. There are many other factors that come into play, such as product liability with or without insurance and our now over litigous society. That being said, when it comes to building for the public, it's a whole different ballgame. I too have seen and questioned-exposed many builders, when their adverising caught my eye on things like lining still in and selling, cheap re-conditoned units from unknown sources and many other things. The old saying , in my case is you get what you pay for. I sell quality units that are new-extra thick in origin, are all powder- coated, firebrick lined and have a high airflow intake and flue system. The new and coated part starts us off way over a couple of hundred to start with let alone all the other components that make my smokers what they are. I now have to raise my prices because of huge cost increases. Can't, as much as I'd like to, sell without profit. Not to be misunderstood, if you want to build for the public, do it right or don't mess with it. Many people have been ripped off buying junk and even my basic design is being sold without my authorization. It's only a matter of time where that will be dealt with in a not so kind manner. Same idea about this as I have about part time catering and vending. When one has to ask basic questions, they shouldn't do it, period. It only takes once to affect many and it devalues the legit product and methods established by reputable companies that are doing it right. To be clear, I have no issues with building for yourselves and friends. I sell components to help do that. Mass quanities , call a company that should be supported. There was a guy selling $5.oo paper thin apple juice barrels, lined, with one rack so called smokers on our local CL for $100.00. When I asked about the lining, he said he hadn't even thought of that! I sure hope the people he involved were lucky enough to be able to try again. Anyone that knows me knows I will help most anyone that needs or asks, just don't disrespect or steal from me and expect fun times. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #28
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbbqguy View Post
Building them for who is a big thought. I make and sell my design, which is not ugly or cheap. I treat this as a real business , because it is. That means I have to pay for things that the average builder at home doesn't know or care about. There are many other factors that come into play, such as product liability with or without insurance and our now over litigous society. That being said, when it comes to building for the public, it's a whole different ballgame. I too have seen and questioned-exposed many builders, when their adverising caught my eye on things like lining still in and selling, cheap re-conditoned units from unknown sources and many other things. The old saying , in my case is you get what you pay for. I sell quality units that are new-extra thick in origin, are all powder- coated, firebrick lined and have a high airflow intake and flue system. The new and coated part starts us off way over a couple of hundred to start with let alone all the other components that make my smokers what they are. I now have to raise my prices because of huge cost increases. Can't, as much as I'd like to, sell without profit. Not to be misunderstood, if you want to build for the public, do it right or don't mess with it. Many people have been ripped off buying junk and even my basic design is being sold without my authorization. It's only a matter of time where that will be dealt with in a not so kind manner. Same idea about this as I have about part time catering and vending. When one has to ask basic questions, they shouldn't do it, period. It only takes once to affect many and it devalues the legit product and methods established by reputable companies that are doing it right. To be clear, I have no issues with building for yourselves and friends. I sell components to help do that. Mass quanities , call a company that should be supported. There was a guy selling $5.oo paper thin apple juice barrels, lined, with one rack so called smokers on our local CL for $100.00. When I asked about the lining, he said he hadn't even thought of that! I sure hope the people he involved were lucky enough to be able to try again. Anyone that knows me knows I will help most anyone that needs or asks, just don't disrespect or steal from me and expect fun times. Steve.
I here where your coming from and understand if it's not made right or safe but it seems like your coming across kinda harsh. It almost sounds like you think you invented the drum and are pissed that everyone else is using it. Maybe I'm taking your comments wrong and if I am I apologize. I mean absolutely no disrespect to you or your business but there are a ton of great drums out there that are clean and safe and should be sold to someone as long as it's done correctly. Am I wrong?Why can't a person build one safely and sell it for a quick buck? And I only mean that if it's done right. I'm sure some one making one a thousand miles away and selling it won't hurt your business a bit. Plus your intake design (as nice as it is) is pretty much not doable for most. Though you do do nice work and I commend you on that.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
I here where your coming from and understand if it's not made right or safe but it seems like your coming across kinda harsh. It almost sounds like you think you invented the drum and are pissed that everyone else is using it. Maybe I'm taking your comments wrong and if I am I apologize. I mean absolutely no disrespect to you or your business but there are a ton of great drums out there that are clean and safe and should be sold to someone as long as it's done correctly. Am I wrong?Why can't a person build one safely and sell it for a quick buck? And I only mean that if it's done right. I'm sure some one making one a thousand miles away and selling it won't hurt your business a bit. Plus your intake design (as nice as it is) is pretty much not doable for most. Though you do do nice work and I commend you on that.
Skidder,

You need to grow some bark.

I don't think the comments were harsh. I understand where they they are coming from though. Let me try it from a different angle.

Many of us on the forum are artisans of some sort in other disciplines (welding, woodworking, IT, fabrication, etc) BESIDES smoking food.

When new people come into the field and undercut prices with substandard products (and I'm not saying this is you, o.k.?), it damages the reputation (and wallets) of everyone else.

For example, I have an ATC on the drawing board that has more features than any other ATC with the exception of the Stoker, but at a $190-$250 price point. All I have left to do is test it.

Now if I find a way to make them for $10 and sell them for $20, I would kill off the competitors. But why do that when I can price them in the middle of the pack and let everyone make money?

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I mean no offense to anyone. My point would be the same in any work discipline. With all that some of us have invested, it does stimulate me to point out the things I did. I did use a barrel for cooking , in the upright uds manner at a huge contest in the late '80's when my cookers were somehow lost. However, there was another guy cooking on barrels too, named Snail, which I think was around early '90's in the KC area. He is one of the originals that's on you tube with long hair and beard. Point is when I did research about upright barrel or drum cookers, they, though not common have been existence for a very long time. Horizontal types even longer. I did not invent anything other than my design, period. If one looks up KC Can Crew, you will see some fantastic results. That's their product and and am truly happy for them. Just an example. Many, many others.The new player out west has come on strong and I respect him for that. Plenty of room for all. As far as building recon units, my concern is what had been in the unit before and won't be rid of by burning or blasting. Metal has more properties than most realize. Many times a needless worry, but as a business... Unless one knows is my point. Whether across the street or thousands of miles away, peoples safety and awareness is my main point. Oh, and thanks SmokinJohn for using another way to say it. Thank you Skidder for kind words about our work, we try very hard. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote