MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
bbqpitstopUT
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Anyone cooking on a FEC120 in Competitions?

Hello,
I'm ready to buy a new pit for competition and small catering jobs. Are any of you using a FEC120 for comps? If so, are you happy with it? I'm trying to decide between the FEC100 and the FEC120.

Thanks in advance for your help!
bbqpitstopUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I use a 100, but I know some teams that use the 120. They are very happy with it. A few things to consider for 120 vs. the 100.

The 100 has fairly even temps across shelves, but the bottom and top shelves run hotter. On the 120, the temp is identical everywhere. Is this better? Fast Eddie himself says he prefers the 100 for comps because he likes having a hotter shelf for chicken. You may prefer more even temps though.

The 120 has a firebox outside of the cooking area. On the 100, it's in the cooking chamber. Most FEC100 owners have not had any issues, but there is an increased risk for fire in the 100 vs. the 120, especially if you don't keep it clean.

Teams using the 120 have told me it takes longer to reach operating temp vs. the 100. Not a big deal, but allow it an hour to warm up, vs. about 20 minutes on the 100.

The 120 uses more power when running vs. the 100, due to the convection fan. If you have reliable comp power, not a big deal. If you are planning to run from an inverter/battery setup, it could be a consideration.

The 120 is closer to the ground. More bending over to access the cooker, but less top heavy when moving it around. It's easy to tip a 100 on a trailer ramp if you aren't careful.

So there are pros/cons for each. I don't think you are making a bad choice either way, just depends more on your cooking style. If you are cooking all 4 KCBS meats in a single cooker at the same time, the 100 might give you more flexibility in terms of hotter/cooler shelves. If you are catering (you said you are) and want to load 16 pork butts into it, the 120 will be more consistent across the shelves.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

I used a single FEC-100 at a contest I won last year, I use the hot area's to my advantage and sleep all night. Pork on top shelf, brisket on the next shelf below. I think a 100 works great. CBQ is dead on. I just wanted to add, catering is easy on a FEC-100, just rotate things 1/2 way thru the cook.
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
bbqpitstopUT
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Mike View Post
I used a single FEC-100 at a contest I won last year, I use the hot area's to my advantage and sleep all night. Pork on top shelf, brisket on the next shelf below. I think a 100 works great. CBQ is dead on. I just wanted to add, catering is easy on a FEC-100, just rotate things 1/2 way thru the cook.
Thanks for your comments!

I notice that your cooking on a Yoder YS1320 also. What has your experience been like with the YS1320. Which do you prefer the FEC100 or the YS1320?
bbqpitstopUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Smitty250
Full Fledged Farker

I use a FEC100 for Comps and love it! My advice - make sure to always have an extra control panel handy and always test it right when power is available!! I know from experience...
[LEFT]2014 American Royal Open RGC[/LEFT]
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2016 Jack Daniel's World Pork Champion
[LEFT]2014, 2015 & 2016 Arizona Team of the Year[/LEFT]
[url]www.lootnbootybbq.com[/url]
Smitty250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
glenntm
On the road to being a farker

Ranch 13 in Arizona cooks on a FEC 120. They seem to like it.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty250 View Post
I use a FEC100 for Comps and love it! My advice - make sure to always have an extra control panel handy and always test it right when power is available!! I know from experience...
After spending 4k to buy the smoker, I spent another $400 and told Cookshack to "send me everything thing might break", so I carry an extra control panel, fan, auger motor, etc. with me - since I have only a single FEC. No problems so far, but good to have spare parts on hand just in case.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote