MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)
Default Not your daddy's Cowboy lump!

I've made fun of Cowboy lump in the past. I've had my share of rocks, insulation, dead animals, and even a live (black) frog hopped out of a bag of Cowboy lump I opened a year ago. I saw him hopping around the patio for a few days until it rained and I couldn't track him anymore. I'm very familiar with the fireworks that often occur when I light the fire. I gave up on Cowboy over a year ago after a particularly awful bag. I took to using Royal Oak as I was commuting closer to some Walmarts and it was much better. Over the past year, I noticed the RO becoming more and more like Cowboy. The bags had more dust and I even found some rocks. I'd also read here a few people commenting on Cowboy lump improving(!) The last month I've been unable to locate any RO, or even any lump. I made a trip to Ace hardware last week and picked up a 20 pound bag of Cowboy (I was ecstatic they had anything, actually). Today, I cleaned out the Oval -- I had last tried a couple bags of "True 'Cue" I found at Home Depot that were the worst bags of lump I'd ever had. They were hard to light, and filled with dust and pebble-sized lump. I couldn't even get it all to burn out when I left the vents open! Worst of all was the smell! I filled up the Oval with the new bag of Cowboy:

Fark! look at that! Hardly any dust, and no small pieces! I've never seen anything like it from Cowboy. What is most remarkable is there is nothing in there that remotely resembles a 2x4 or trim. It all appears to be real, unprocessed wood. Heck, this is one of the best looking bags of lump I've ever had . Here's a closer shot:

You can see some of the pieces aren't wholey carbonized. I lit it up: no sparks, no fireworks, and NO FUNKY ODORS. Here it is after a full 10 minutes:

Yeah, 10 minutes, and I had the diffusers in place. I just removed the one to take the picture. The temperature was already above 200* after only 10 minutes and it was burning cleanly, no funky smells. I don't know if this was random chance, but if this really is the "new" Cowboy, I'm loving it. I will miss the free rocks and frogs though.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Interesting. Is there any marking on the bag that we could use to make sure we're getting the 'new' stuff?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Interesting. Is there any marking on the bag that we could use to make sure we're getting the 'new' stuff?
I don't remember exactly what the old bags looked like, but it looks the same as I remember EXCEPT this is a 20lb bag that I picked up at Ace, rather than the smaller bags at Home Depot. On the front it does have the words, "Now, longer lasting," but I couldn't tell you if they were there before. Granted, I haven't actually cooked with this yet, but I've never had lump look so good and get up to temp so fast. I'm only doing some country ribs, so that's really not any test on how long it lasts. With my luck, it will all burn out in 15 minutes.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Well, Gore, sometimes things do improve for the better. Hopefully this continues.

My guess is someone in management re-allocated the budgets by diverting the funds previously used for the rocks and frogs into better product.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Well, Gore, sometimes things do improve for the better. Hopefully this continues.

My guess is someone in management re-allocated the budgets by diverting the funds previously used for the rocks and frogs into better product.
The really sad thing is that I didn't learn what that frog was for until after they stopped giving them away.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
gtr

So where am I supposed to get my farking frogs now?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
aawa
Babbling Farker

I had been using Royal Oak because it was cheap. People on here commented saying that Cowboy used scrap wood, rocks, and other foreign debris in the bag. The last 2 bags of Royal Oak that I have bought at Restaurant Depot at the same time (currently 1/2 way through the second bag) had pieces that looked like scrap wood (trim and 2x2 and 2x4) along with some insulation pieces, and a lot more dust than in previous bags I have used.

My next purchase I am debating if I want to try Cowboy or go spendy and get Wicked Good Weekend Warrior.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
So where am I supposed to get my farking frogs now?
Cowboy Lump is selling the rocks and frogs to Royal Oak now, so everything's OK.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I had been using Royal Oak because it was cheap. People on here commented saying that Cowboy used scrap wood, rocks, and other foreign debris in the bag. The last 2 bags of Royal Oak that I have bought at Restaurant Depot at the same time (currently 1/2 way through the second bag) had pieces that looked like scrap wood (trim and 2x2 and 2x4) along with some insulation pieces, and a lot more dust than in previous bags I have used.

My next purchase I am debating if I want to try Cowboy or go spendy and get Wicked Good Weekend Warrior.
I haven't been using lump that long. My last bag of RO had a sizable chunk of cement in it. Like, bigger than my fist. Which is a decent percentage of the total bag weight. Also tons of marble-sized pieces and dust. I just picked up three more bags of RO and if it seems to be the trend I think I'll try both Wicked Good and Cowboy, although I was bummed this morning I couldn't find Wicked Good on the Ace website any more. I hope it's just a seasonal lag because if the price is decent I'll ship-to-store a bunch of it.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

I've swapped over to Wicked Good Weekend Warrior blend.

I love it. Really nice sized chunks

No great pics, but here is a load with dry hickory and apple chunks over for last weekend's rib cook.

Old lump, snuffed out last week. I just fired it up again for today's wangs & ABT's.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Midnight Smoke

Thanks Gore, I will be trying some Cowboy's now.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats on the nice bag of cowboy! I've picked up 2 bags of cowboys since folks have reported it improving. Both bags were really bad, almost half the bag was dust. One of the bags I only got because I had a 50% off coupon for Ace hardware. Wicked good is my go-to lump now. It's pricey but worth it IMO.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
RW
Full Fledged Farker

With Lowe's as my only source of Cowboy lump, does anyone think it would be the improved stuff that y'all are finding at Ace?
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW View Post
With Lowe's as my only source of Cowboy lump, does anyone think it would be the improved stuff that y'all are finding at Ace?
Chriscw81 above picked up cr@ppy stuff at Ace, so I have absolutely no idea. Still seems a bit of random chance.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I might have to pick up a Cowboy to see for myself. I wasn't impressed with it before. However that was a few years back. If they have changed for the better, I'm all for it! Plus, it's readily available in my area.

Thanks for the review!!
A bunch of Webers

Last edited by Smoothsmoke; 01-19-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cowboy, lump