MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Kurt5
Found some matches.

Default Success

Just joined recently to improve my game. I've had a CharBroiler w/ SFB for a few years with spotty success. After reading up this week, tried some ribs and butt yesterday. Ribs were the best I've made, and we'll be eating pulled pig all weekend. Thanks for all the help!

Of course, after all this reading I really want a WSM or UDG, but for now I'll hone my skills on this PITA CG. I added a decent thermo at grill level and lowered the chimney intake. I'm thinking of making a charcoal box this week. How long of a burn time do y'all get with your charcoal boxes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080023.jpg (88.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg P1080030.jpg (137.4 KB, 77 views)
Kurt5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Kurt5
Found some matches.

Oh, btw, I used the 3-2-1 method for the ribs and it worked perfectly. Foiled the butt when I took the ribs off.
Kurt5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Certainly looks like success!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
PanamaExpat
Got Wood.

Making my mouth water...... NOT FAIR.....

Old 07-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

looks good

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

The food is looking good. That my friend is a Stick burner adding a Charcoal basket to an already undersized fire box will only serve to add a whole new set of problems. It will restrict the air flow through the pit giving you a dirty smoldering fire and low temps. Raise the base of the fire by cutting 6 pieces of 1" angle Iron to 12.5" in length and but the one in the fire box. and top it with a piece of expanded metal. This will raise the base of your fire to the center of the intake. I light about 2 lbs of lump and add t splits to it to get to temp and 1 split about every 45 min to maintain the temp in mine. small movements of the intake vent once in a while is all that is required to keep it rock solid.