MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 06-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #46
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Gore don't qualify. No reason, really, just general principal.
Shhhh... I know that, and you know that but if you REALLY are bucking for Dilly King we don't want Moose to know that.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #47
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

He's Baaaaaaaaaack... Noobians should be shaking in their boots!

Great food and Pic's Al !
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #48
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Gore don't qualify. No reason, really, just general principal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Shhhh... I know that, and you know that but if you REALLY are bucking for Dilly King we don't want Moose to know that.

Well, I'll just take all my Dilly Bars and eat them myself.... Fark, I'm lactose intolerant.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #49
caseydog

Default My official entry...

My entry also has a back-story originating in Europe. I spent the summer of 1978 traveling around Europe with some friends. We were always on the lookout for good local food, that was cheap.

In Paris, we found this hole-in-the-wall place that had no formal menu. They had a chalkboard by the door that told you what they were cooking today. The price was excellent, and on that day, the meal was coq au vin. The meal was served family style. They put a big pot of food in front of us, and gave us all bowls. It was awesome.

The first step is to brown some bacon in cast iron. How can it be bad if that is the first step?

You are supposed to coat your skinless chicken legs and thighs in flour, and brown them in the bacon fat. But, I chose to coat the chicken in flour, and spray it with canola oil, and brown it on the Smokey Joe over hot coals.

Once the bacon is done, and the chicken is browned, I put them both aside.

I used the bacon fat to sauté my diced onions, sliced mushrooms, and minced garlic.

When they were nicely browned, I added half a bottle of dry red wine, and deglazed the pot. Then I put the bacon back in, and added the browned chicken, and some chicken stock. I cut some fresh thyme from the garden, and tossed that on top.

I let that braise for about forty minutes. Towards the end of the braise, I browned some pearl onions in butter on the coals left on the Smokey Joe. I took a picture of the butter melting in the pan, but forgot to take a farking picture of the golden brown pearl onions.

Oh, well. The final step was to add a Beurre Manie as a thickener. It is just a 50/50 mix of room temperature butter and flour.

This is how it looks on a plate. Nothing fancy, just good food.

CD

Last edited by caseydog; 06-30-2013 at 09:29 PM..
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #50
deguerre

Fancy schmancy. I don't care. That looks awesome! Love the thyme.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #51
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
While I'm still on vacation, I thought I would drop in and see how things were progressing in this on topic quality discussion thread.

Things are going exactly as I feared.

See you all on Tuesday!
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #52
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
My entry also has a back-story originating in Europe. I spent the summer of 1978 traveling around Europe with some friends. We were always on the lookout for good local food, that was cheap.

In Paris, we found this hole-in-the-wall place that had no formal menu. They had a chalkboard by the door that told you what they were cooking today. The price was excellent, and on that day, the meal was coq au vin. The meal was served family style. They put a big pot of food in front of us, and gave us all bowls. It was awesome.

The first step is to brown some bacon in cast iron. How can it be bad if that is the first step?

You are supposed to coat your skinless chicken legs and thighs in flour, and brown them in the bacon fat. But, I chose to coat the chicken in flour, and spray it with canola oil, and brown it on the Smokey Joe over hot coals.

Once the bacon is done, and the chicken is browned, I put them both aside.

I used the bacon fat to sauté my diced onions, sliced mushrooms, and minced garlic.

When they were nicely browned, I added half a bottle of dry red wine, and deglazed the pot. Then I put the bacon back in, and added the browned chicken.

I let that braise for about forty minutes. Towards the end of the braise, I browned some pearl onions in butter on the coals left on the Smokey Joe. I took a picture of the butter melting in the pan, but forgot to take a farking picture of the golden brown pearl onions.

Oh, well. The final step was to add a Beurre Manie as a thickener. It is just a 50/50 mix of room temperature butter and flour.

This is how it looks on a plate. Nothing fancy, just good food.

CD
Beautiful entry, CD! You really did this category justice.

I also enjoyed reading all of your quality, on-topic description as well.

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #53
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Fancy schmancy. I don't care. That looks awesome! Love the thyme.
Thanks for telling me what that is. Thyme. I think HT had it too.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #54
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Thanks for telling me what that is. Thyme. I think HT had it too.
Fresh thyme, if you have not used it, has a similar flavor to fresh oregano. Italians favor oregano, and the French seem to favor thyme. Both are really easy to grow where you and I live.

The French leave the thyme on the stems, because there is a lot of flavor in the stems. I never tried that until today, and they are right. I was amazed at the amount of good, mellow flavor came out of those fresh cut sprigs of thyme.

When the cook is done, you just pull the stems out, as you would with bay leaf. The stuff you don't want to eat is gone, but the flavor they created remains.

This is a big reason why I do throwdowns. I learn so much chit.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #55
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

Great job.

I gotta update my signature!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Just call me "The Fish"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ardent fan of Chris P. Bacon
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #56
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

My entry: Cheeseburger Pie

The cook thread can be found here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=164836

Please accept this as my official entry photo:
Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #57
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Ooooh now that looks good...........Mmmmm cheeseburger pie........I will have two slices to travel please.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #58
deguerre

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #59
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

Moose, it looks like you and I are the only ones with a palate here. I'll have to lower my standards to get in the running here. ........

I gotta update my signature!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Just call me "The Fish"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ardent fan of Chris P. Bacon
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #60
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfish01 View Post
Moose, it looks like you and I are the only ones with a palate here. I'll have to lower my standards to get in the running here. ........

(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote