MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #331
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

Dang, that thing looks SERIOUS! I see the turet and hatch on top...the main gun must be on the other side. ;)
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #332
Bperkins01
Full Fledged Farker

Wow - holy crap and Wow!
Very nice. Once you get it going - would love to see how it is operated..
Bperkins01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #333
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks for the update and the pic!!!!
I can't wait to try some of the fine smoked goods that you prepare in that beast.

Was having a real bad day, but that sure made me smile, thanks

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #334
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlepines View Post
Dang, that thing looks SERIOUS! I see the turet and hatch on top...the main gun must be on the other side. ;)

I think he should name it, "Lil Tank".

Old 10-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #335
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Having absolutely no experience in the restaurant business (except for eating in them), let me give you some advice... (you haven't received any advice before now, have you?)

(You know, I'm like the people who have no kids telling you how to raise yours. )

Anyway, a BBQ place opened near me about six months ago. Their food is not bad, but the people that work there *always* look like their dog just died. Everyone (even the owner) just looks sad. So, I go there occasionally, but I prefer to give my business to local restaurants that seem happy to see me.

So, all I'm sayin' is: a little good customer service goes a long way! I hope you can find some friendly folks to make you successful!

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #336
somevelvet
On the road to being a farker

Wow, what an adventure this thread has been!
somevelvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #337
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Glad to hear you are getting closer. I'll be looking for the opening day.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #338
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

If you do not hang a picture of that girl with her pumpkin and trophy in that joint......... you will know who upper decked your toilets.

That is priceless and the public deserves to see that.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #339
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

The light at the end of the tunnel. I can see it!

Construction basically wrapped up today. Just two small things left. We just need to hard wire the smoker (so that no idiot kids come by in the middle of the night and think it would be funny to unplug it), and get the roof curb so that we can mount the exhaust fan for the smoker.

Today the pit got hooked up to the gas, but that was an unexpected setback. Since the existing gas line was really close to where we put the pit I figured it would be easy peasy. Wrong. Four hours of work and about $600 later is what it took. Ouch.

And one more big setback today. I was under the impression from the sellers that the propane that was left in the tank was included in the sale. Never got it in writing in the sales contract though, and the propane company came out to hook up the tank and informed me that they bought back the 700 or so gallons left in the tank from the sellers, so I'm going to be billed for it. Ouch. Lesson learned.

Otherwise, my wife took the rest of this week and next week off so starting tomorrow it's going to be some aggressive cleaning, priming, and painting. Hopefully the dining room will be 100% finished by Friday.

And on Saturday, I'm actually having the some of the "public" come whether we're done or not. We are part of a county-wide road rally scavenger hunt thing for Halloween so teams of people will be stumbling upon the restaurant as part of their list of destinations. So, they will be required to eat a pulled pork slider before they can get their next clue. Even if the pit isn't ready at the restaurant, I'll just smoke up some butts on a portable smoker in the parking lot or something, but either way, I'm serving food on Saturday, dammit!

Then hopefully next week I can get the health inspector in and all the other inspections done, get the Coke guy in for the fountain machine, start interviewing potential employees, etc. We'll see.

Fingers crossed we're in the home stretch. This has been an incredibly trying process.

And for those who didn't see it on facebook, the completed roof/porch type structure:

marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #340
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice looking unit ya got there, but I have to ask, do you think that header is strong enough to hold up that roof? LOL, just trikin.

Best to ya get er goin, make some money.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #341
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dport7 View Post
Nice looking unit ya got there, but I have to ask, do you think that header is strong enough to hold up that roof? LOL, just trikin.

Best to ya get er goin, make some money.
Hah. Yeah, I don't know WTF is up with that. I think they just used whatever wood they had in the back of the truck or something. I think the header weighs more than the stupid little roof.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #342
ak56
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #343
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Wow! I'm so excited It feels like I'm the one who's opening up the restaurant. Can't wait till opening day. Best wishes.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #344
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Awesome!

I can't wait to taste some of the fine Q on opening day!

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #345
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Marubozo,

I would seriously consider enclosing that smoker unit under the extended roof there. Nobody needs to see that, and frankly, it will be a lot safer. Just spend a few bucks for some piece of mind and get some cladding around it at the very least.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote