MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
BSea
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Truth Vrs Sales Pitch

Ok, I'm in the process from going from a weekend backyard griller to getting a ceramic Kamado style grill. I'm down to the BGE, the Primo, or the Kamato Joe.

Here's some of what I've heard.

FROM BGE Salesman

"The promo has uneven heating because it's oval."

"The ceramic in the Kamato Joe is not as high quality as the BGE"

FROM PRIMO Salesman.

"BGE doesn't slow cook as well as Primo because it's not really indirect heat." I asked about the plate setter as a way to do indirect cooking. He said it works to a degree, but not as well as the Primo since the heat is not offset.

I didn't get anything really questionable from the Kamato Joe dealer. She just said it's basically the same as the BGE with a few enhancements like locking wheels, stainless steel cooking grate vrs the enamel coated that comes with the BGE, a better handle, and a way to add charcoal & wood chips while cooking.

I like to smoke turkeys, and really want to try some of the larger roasts that I've never wanted to risk on my old smoker. So I guess my big question is, does the Primo really have uneven heating? And does it make a difference if the ceramic is different in the Kamado Joe?
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Ask the Primo Salesman how the BGE is different from the WSM which does an excellent job at low and slow. The WSM is not offset also. I feel if a salesman has to put down the competition he is not doing his job. I looked at the Primo and if you do indirect you would lose half of your cooking area.
I do like the fact that the Primo is made in the USA.
Check into the warranty on all three also. That may be the tie breaker.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Interesting question. I have no experience with these grills, but I would like to know exactly what the differences in the ceramics are. Is it a proprietary blend or firing technique? I think that would make a big difference to me, but I can't find any information out there.

From what I can find, they say that the BGE ceramics can handle temps of 2000*. Considering cone 10 (the temp that stoneware is fired to) is over 2300*, the same statement can be made about the Precious Moments statues on Grandmas piano. I know that BGE's are built really well, and that being able to heat ceramics up as aggressively as is done in BGEs takes some serious engineering in the clay, structure, and firing process. But there's no info on it for me to find for you. sorry.

My experience with clay and strength differences is it can make a huge difference. Simply by mixing paper pulp into the clay can make the difference of being able to break bone dry, unfired clay with a flick of your finger, and having to use a hacksaw to cut it. I think the clay composition would be very important to the durability as well as range in safe cooking temps that the product could handle. What that technology is, I don't know (would like to). But, from what I've heard, the BGE is the grill that incorporates it into their product. Maybe kamado has too.

Last edited by 82muchhomework; 11-02-2009 at 10:29 AM..
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

I have looked at all 3. There are people here with all 3. They are all good cookers and they all do a good job at it. The Primo DOES NOT have a problem of uneven heating. They are all ceramic.

The biggest differences are:

1. Price
2. Warranty

The Lg Primo Oval loaded cost about the same as an XL BGE loaded. The XL BGE has A LOT more cooking space than the Lg Primo.

You can get a Kamado Joe LOADED for about the cost of a L BGE with nothing.

They all calim to have great warranties and say they will stand behind them forever.

Here is the kicker on warranty

1. We KNOW BGE has a great warranty and they have been around for a LONG time and they take care of people.

2. I have never heard Primo owners complain about Primo warranty and they have been around a long time.

3. KJ SAYS they will stand behind the product and they HAVE made some improvements to the cooker over the BGE, but they haven't been around long enough to know how they are going to handle warranty stuff in my opinion.

If all 3 were equal on warranty I'd choose a KJ in a minute.

I have never heard that the ceramics were of lesser quality in the KJ btw. If anything they are alot thicker and you'd think better.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Just noticed you are from LR BSea! Howdy neighbor! If you haven't yet, don't forget to drop by the Cattle Call section and introduce yourself! You are gonna love it here!

Can I get a Woo Pig! ;)

Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSea View Post
FROM BGE Salesman

"The promo has uneven heating because it's oval."

"The ceramic in the Kamato Joe is not as high quality as the BGE"

FROM PRIMO Salesman.

"BGE doesn't slow cook as well as Primo because it's not really indirect heat." I asked about the plate setter as a way to do indirect cooking. He said it works to a degree, but not as well as the Primo since the heat is not offset.
OK, as for the uneven Primo cooking. If you are doing something large and its overhanging where the D-Plate(same concept as place setter) is at, yes you can get some extra heat because the fire is off to the side. This is when using the Firebox Divider with a D-Plate on the non-fire side. The same would be true if what you are cooking hangs over the edge of the place setter of a BGE. I know from owning a Primo XL that the grill is very versatile and consistent.

As for the Primo cooking better for low and slow, I really doubt it, with the small fire of a low and slow, the place setter should stay reasonably consistent with the dome temp. I could see on a higher temp cook where the place setter would get to a higher temp than the dome because of the inferno below.

You came to the right place for answers, advice from salesman always has to be taken with a grain of salt.

The reality is, you can't go wrong with BGE or Primo, I personally can't give any info on the Kamado Joe, but maybe someone else can chime in.

Hope this helps

Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasePig View Post
The Lg Primo Oval loaded cost about the same as an XL BGE loaded. The XL BGE has A LOT more cooking space than the Lg Primo.
The XL BGE has 452 sq inches of cooking space, where the Primo XL has 400, that's what...an extra burger of space. If you get the Extended Grates for the Primo XL that 680 square inches of cooking space.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

I stand corrected! The XL BGE has a lil' more space... :)

takes up a lot more room though! LOL

Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

What about the Bubba Keg?

Heres a video of a comparison side by side of the BGE and Komado (actually its just a video of, this is what we did to make ours different)
http://www.kamadoguys.com/video_list...7?item=2193237

Old 11-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
BSea
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for all the answers. I kind of got the answers I expected. I'm just doing my homework before I buy.

So far, I can't seem to find a price for the Kamado Joe alone. It seems to come as a package with the nest & side trays. Plus, the nearest dealer is about 3.5 hours away. I do go up there a few times a year, so that doesn't really bother me because once set up, it doesn't look like something that requires much contact from the dealer. But I plan on building my own cabinet/table for the grill.

jetfxr27, I did look at the Bubba Keg, but I've pretty much have settled on ceramic.

Hey GeasePig! Thanks for pointing out the "Cattle Call Section". I wondered if there was a welcome/Newbie section. And just for us Hog lovers - Woo Pig! I'll be up in Fayetteville on Saturday for the SC game.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

I hope we score as many points in the first half THIS weekend as last! :)

Welcome BSea!

BTW, there are dealers for all 3 brands up here...

Old 11-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I stand corrected! The XL BGE has a lil' more space... :)

takes up a lot more room though! LOL
Sorry if I sounded like a D!ck on that post, I just re-read it and it could have come across that way. I was trying to multi-task and just got straight to the point.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagardn View Post
Sorry if I sounded like a D!ck on that post, I just re-read it and it could have come across that way. I was trying to multi-task and just got straight to the point.
Didn't take it that way at all! Good info! I have looked at both side by side at a dealer here and the XL BGE seemed huge compared to the Oval. Just goes to show that you need to read the specs.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
BSea
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Didn't take it that way at all! Good info! I have looked at both side by side at a dealer here and the XL BGE seemed huge compared to the Oval. Just goes to show that you need to read the specs.
What dealer did you see these? I may stop by & look after the game. I've seen them both, but not side by side. (Maybe there is something good about an 11:00 game after all.)

Old 11-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Straight's Lawn and Garden in Springdale have Eggs and Primo. There is an Egg dealer north of the mall on 71 too. As you come into Springdale on the right. Backyard Specialties is the name. Good guys there. Lots of rubs and they sell wood chunks and grilling stuff too. There are several other Egg places here. One in Tontitown and a couple more in Bentonville and a few I am forgetting I am sure.

The Kamado Joe dealer is on the N. end of Bentonville right off I540. Kozy Heat Fireplaces and more I think it is called. They sell Eggs, KJ's, Traeger and some others. Good guys there too. Takes about 20-25 minutes or so to get there from Razorback Road as long as traffic is moving! (They might not be open on Saturday afternoon though so call first!)

Lemme know if you need more info. Heck I might even go with ya! :)