Need advice...

417bullelk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a 8lb brisket flat and a 7lb butt I am cooking in the WSM. I am thinking the brisket flat on the bottom grate, butt on the top.

Water or no water in pan? I am thinking this only for temp control.

This is going to be Christmas dinner guys so help me out here.

I have them both rubbed and sitting in the fridge waiting for the late night firing of the WSM.

What internal temp should the brisket be at to be melt in your mouth tender? I plan on cooking at 225 degrees.

Butt on top. It better to have pork baste the beef than beef baste the pork. I would use the water pan for stability, but you don't have to. the WSM might respond to changes more quickly without it so you'll just have to watch more closely. As far as temp, that should just be a guideline. The brisket and the butt will be done then your probe slides in easily (like going into butter). that may be at 185 or it may not be until 205 depending on the piece of meat. Allow plenty of time and start probing at 185 or so. When they probe right wrap in a couple of layers of foil and put them into a dry preheated cooler with towels or newspaper for insulation to hold until you are ready to eat.

I have a 15lb brisket and a 10 lb butt on right now on my WSM I use water to keep temp down and put the butt on bottom it takes longer to cook a thicker chunk of meat.

Back