WSM arrives today.... maiden voyage tomorrow

K

Kevin Garceau

OK so it arrives today. I dont think I will get a smoke on tonight as I have previous dinner plans.

But the plan for tomorrow is pork butt - 8lbs as I love left overs. Im having a friend come over to help wire the garage so he will be staying for dinner.

Im going to try some ABTs, with shrimp inside wrapped in bacon? I got some large shrimp 8-12/lb which are obviously too big for the Jalapenos, but will cut them down and place a good sized chunk in each one. Since Im not a huge fan of Jalapenos Im going to butterfly some of the shrimp on for me, stuff with cream cheese and chives and wrap in bacon.

first real voyage down the path of Q enlightenment. Hoping the shrimp ABTs come out as good as I hear all the rest.

any suggestions? Words of encouragement? I gotta make this right as I have been bugging the wife for a month about this WSM, and smoking on the weekends.

Congrats brother and best of luck on the cook. Just know that as the cooker gets seasoned it will cook even better than the first time.

Sounds like a plan, but that is not goign to be enough butt if you are like me and REALLY like the left overs!

Enjoy the day, start early so you will nt be rished for dinner time, because after 2 hours your yard is going to be the place to be instead of work where i will be.

I know it is going to be hard but try not to obsess about the cooker. It is truly a set it and forget. DO not get nervous that it runs kind of hot in the beginning. It is new it will take a cook or two for it to get going properly and for you to get used to it. If you do not like jalapenos then maybe you should stuff some sweet mini peppers instead.If you need any help just PM me and I will give you my number.Most of all have fun and congratulation you just bought yourself a great cooker. Welocme

I think Sled's advise is key to your "success." There are lots of options if you don't like Jalapenos. Is it the heat? You can get rid of a lot of the heat by soaking them in Sprite over nite after you core and deseed them. (Just don't take a big gulp of the sprite afterwards)

This is a huge step for you. And an 8lb hunk of pork doesn't leave many leftovers. The fatties Norco mentioned are also important, they will give you something to munch on while waiting for the pork to finish up.

Good luck. And remember, especially on your maiden voyage, NO PICS...DIDN'T HAPPEN.

It is a set it and forget for the most part, but as Sled has said you will want to mess with it, but try to avoid that. Once you get it to temp let it do it's work.

Don't forget the pictures, cause you know the rule around here.

Good luck and have fun!

Im going to work up to a few different things.

I have to take it easy on what I cook because of my excercise program. Its really going to be tough to make good Q and then have to limit my intake. Im usually a gorge until I explode type guy, but that has to change if I want to see 60 (Im 33 now)

Im hoping to get this thing down and do alot of healthy type foods on it too....one of my biggest issues is I HATE veggies, - meat, corn, potatos is about all I eat. I know it sounds awesome but not when you gotta get the weight/health under control....pizzes me off. Damn stress at work along with my laziness and gluttony piled on 100lbs in the past few years

Just try to catch the temps on the way up, and you'll be stylin'.
I try to tell myself that slow smoking pig meat renders the fat out, therefore making it a health food. Hey, works for me.

Then again, everytime I get the urge to get up and exercise, I just lay down until the urge goes away.

Sounds like a plan, but that is not goign to be enough butt if you are like me and REALLY like the left overs!

Enjoy the day, start early so you will nt be rished for dinner time, because after 2 hours your yard is going to be the place to be instead of work where i will be.
I say just make the 8 pounder... It gives you an excuse to do another next weekend!

Im going to work up to a few different things.

I have to take it easy on what I cook because of my excercise program. Its really going to be tough to make good Q and then have to limit my intake. Im usually a gorge until I explode type guy, but that has to change if I want to see 60 (Im 33 now)

Im hoping to get this thing down and do alot of healthy type foods on it too....one of my biggest issues is I HATE veggies, - meat, corn, potatos is about all I eat. I know it sounds awesome but not when you gotta get the weight/health under control....pizzes me off. Damn stress at work along with my laziness and gluttony piled on 100lbs in the past few years
Hey, just think of meat as 'Pre-Digested Vegetables'... After all, cows aren't carnivores are they????

Really, if you come across any good vege type dishes that can be made on the smoker please pass them on. I'm always looking for new ones!!!

Good luck and remember that we are all pulling for you!

OK.... I just ran down to the local meat shop. Its awesome lil country butcher with great cuts. Maybe 2 miles from my house.

I got a 12lb butt.... price was 1.39 a pound, not overly fatty either. Im going to inject with apple juice now, let it sit and get up middle of the night and get the WSM cranking!

A lil raw pron!

12lb.jpg

$1.39 is a good deal for a butt. That's a big ol' piece of meat too! Mine are usually 7-8 lbs.
Good luck.

Anyone want to bet Kevin will be up all night like a nervous papa to be?

Yeah they are very very reasonable, that was normal every day prices. I remember the last time I "tried" to smoke I had 8lb brisket, and 8lb butt and it came to about 24 bucks.

Congrats on the WSM. I got mine a few weeks ago, and love it. I’m gonna be doing my first overnight on it tonight.

With a 12 lbs butt, I hope yours is done in time to have it for dinner, since your starting it in the morning.

actually probably get everything fired up about 1230 and see how it goes. Its hella windy tonight, horribly blowing... 25mph sustained and gusts even higher. Chance of snow tonight...LOL

Kevin,
you'll be better off getting the butt on early and having it done early. If it's done before dinner, foil it, and put it in a pre-heated cooler with towels to fill up the air space. The butt will hold until dinner.

Only sayin this 'cuz I have had butts smaller than yours take up to 23 hours to finish.
Hate to have your buddy go hungry!

Back