MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #31
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnoft View Post
Cough up some shopping money for her and tell her(I would suggest $300.00) "Baby I can't live without you, You are the sole reason that I love life and live to make sure that you are happy without you I would be like a ship without a rudder" and all will be fine!!!
SILVER TOUNGED DEVIL...
It's all in the technique.
Feed her some good 'Q' and your good to go...
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #32
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterz View Post
If I may- I think for her its all about how the block pit looks where it is. Im sure
if it was somewhere next to the house where nobody can see it, she would
not care at all.
Just my 2c.
When I was a kid, my Dad built one under an old Walnut tree in our back yard.
Ours was blocks, and Piggly Wiggly metal signs. Not terribly pretty.
Wonderful memories of it. It was a gathering place for the neighborhood men.
I got to join them to tend to a separate fire for coals.

Nobody turned up their nose at that old Pit when Pig or Goat came out of the Pit.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #33
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

Yup she bought a hotel but still sees no need for another bbq device. Part of what here anger over the whole smoking thing is the fact that she rarely eats my pork cooks and her 2 teenage daughter never eat any smoked offering. Heck they dislike straight up grilled stuff on charcoal. They will eat the pizza cooked on the Akorn though....but that is it. When I do up a pork butt I am on my own. To see if it's as good as I think I take some to the guys at work or show up at a buddy's with a care package. Another smoker means my hobby/obsession grows and that just pisses her off....what pisses her off more I believe is that she can really say little as she is spending way more on the hotel. It is a huge fixeruper so she got it cheap but there is much work to be done.

Meanwhile I did ribs and chicken again today. This time with new grates, a water pan and some ceramic fire bricks in the bottom underneath the coals.

This is the ribs after 4.5 hours or so......3 hours naked, fresh from 1.5 hours of foil:

and with the sauce:

I started the carmelization stage on the upper rack then moved down to the lower rack. There was a 40f termperature difference in the same relative position. Finished ribs:

And cut up and ready to eat:

These were juicy and pull of the bone. I used partially burned chunks on this second cook and while the smoke was more prominent I could use more.

Tommorrow is my attempt at Jamaican style bbq. Hopefully it is not a disaster like my previous trys. I will update with photos.
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #34
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Well, you've got the right attitude. You like to cook stuff and you gotta find more people that want it. Same boat I am in. My wife could care less about BBQ. So, I have lots of treats for the neighbors (and a full freezer) and family. Hang in there as I know it is tough in that situation... your 'Q looks great!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #35
Banjoe
On the road to being a farker

Oldhoss - when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you do is stop digging.

You have a bit of work to restore your image with SWMBO and the sooner you get that sorted, the sooner the earth will stop trembling. Being a man, of course I have virtually no idea how you do that, but I wish you every success.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #36
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

I try to keep things in perspective...I use to have a motorcycle (since sold due to layoff and no place to really store it at my house).

Bought new, probably paid around $8k or so for it.

Money spent on the BBQ habits the past couple of years...maybe a couple of hundred dollars...grand at most and that includes the grill patio I just put in.

Now granted kids has re-adjusted my priorities a bit...but with exception of wanting to pick up a Weber gasser when my current one gives up the ghost I'm pretty happy.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #37
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

wow , I was married to that situation for 21 years , my wife now thinks im crazy when I bring another BBQ home , but she enjoys what I cook
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #38
BobM
Babbling Farker

Great build, looks like it turns out some really good food!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #39
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Oldhoss - that's a fine lookin' cook. Just remember, it's not about the nail:

http://vimeo.com/66753575
David
The Swine Spectator

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #40
Keystone
Knows what a fatty is.

Wait a minute, your wife bought a Hotel?
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #41
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
Wait a minute, your wife bought a Hotel?
But the guy catches grief for making a grill out of a few cinder blocks he got from a construction site.

That's why i like my women like my Saturday night 1am pizza, it hits the spot after a night of boozing and it's all gone by morning.

Ya know, they say marriage is all about compromise. Well, if I were married I would WANT a steak and a **** *** 3 nights a week, but I will compromise and settle for being able to spend a few bucks in discretionary income on something that is clean, safe, and brings me happiness without intruding or interfering with anyone else.

That's just the way I see it, but what do I know, I am a 35 year old single guy who still tries to date marginally age inappropriate women and actively avoids as much responsibility as possible.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #42
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

"It's Not About the Nail" - absolutely classic!!!! So familiar it hurts though.
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #43
capnkrusty
Knows what a fatty is.

So glad my SO enjoys my Q. Definitely makes life a lot easier.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #44
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

My wife and I have been married 28 years (yesterday). She has NEVER said anything when I bring any cooking gear home. I think it s because she loves my cooking, my children, not so much. I went to a BBQ auction in April and brought home a used Meadowcreek PRS 60. The only comment I got was now we need a bigger patio! (next year)

Oh...YOUR WIFE BOUGHT A HOTEL????

(Well...she will always have a room if she doesn't like your BBQ pits!) LOL!!!

Thanks from:--->