• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Boys and girls, I found a great source for drums. Virgin drums, nothing ever been in them but air!
Dallas Steel Drums
2214 SINGLETON BLVD
DALLAS, TEXAS

(214) 638-7027
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Extra heavy duty drum: $49.00
Removable Bolt / Ring lid
2” & ¾” bung in lid
New drum never used / no liner / metal only
Total cost out the door is: $53.04 I know, it is a little high, but no burn out required! Just build it, season it, and cook in it.

Big Joe

Boys and girls, I found a great source for drums. Virgin drums, nothing ever been in them but air!
Dallas Steel Drums
2214 SINGLETON BLVD
DALLAS, TEXAS
(214) 638-7027
2” & ¾” bung in lid
Total cost out the door is: $53.04 I know, it is a little high, but no burn out required! Just build it, season it, and cook in it.

Big Joe

Good price, but freight could get expensive.

I am happy to report that as of today I am part of the weed burner crew. I have a few barrels to try her out on this weekend I hope.

I've got an idea for the doors that I'd like to try. I would cut the opening out in the drum and them use a donor drum to cut a slightly larger opening to cover the door. My mod wouldn't use a latch though. If magnets are good enough to seal the intakes for many, why wouldn't lining the perimeter of the door with magnets prevent the air escaping? The gauge of the steel would be similar so heat loss should not be a problem. You could use magnet strips if they were strong enough or I was planning on "borrowing" some high powered mags from the physics dept at school.

Do you think silicone would still be necessary? I've got 2 barrels in the yard and might just try this for version 2.0. Probably not anytime soon...wife is due next month so I'll be on lockdown! If anyone thinks it's a good idea try it out and let me know.

I used the method you are thinking about for the bottom hatch of my tandoor. It works well, but I don't have to worry about air leaks with the tandoor - it is meant to blaze. The hatch I cut is not very big - about the size of a standard brick. The slightly oversized door was cut from the cut off top of the drum.

Jkstone's method has merit - I like the idea of being able to access the lower grate food without taking the lid or top grate groceries off. The bottom lid looks like it would be useful for adding fuel for extra long cooks. However, with doors that big, I wonder if the "crush" strength of the drum is decreased. Might not be somoething worth worrying about if its on a dolly and handled carefully?

Also, I used rare earth magnets (slim and shiny) to keep the door closed and it has worked great, even after many firings.

Since the lid was a tad small I had to mash out the lip of the dome so it would fit on the drum. It sat fine on the drum but in a wind I felt that it would blow off and it didn't seal real well. So I sat back and thought......light bulb momennt and I drilled four holes and installed four nuts and bolts. They just happen to angle in on their own and now hold the lid securely. Still did not seal to my likeing so I applied some furnace gasket to the lid. Now with the bolts and gasket I have a secure lid with no leaks. Smoke on......

Pic:
DSCF5297.jpg

Lid with gasket:
DSCF5292-1.jpg

Hope this helps, if not ask away :biggrin::biggrin:.

If you take note the pic of the drum with the lid on it is in use.........

Paul B
SS UDS

Thanks for the pics Paul :wink:.

Pressure wash if you have one handy, otherwise just wash it out with a scrub brush and some dish detergent and you're good to go.

Dallas Steel Drums
2214 SINGLETON BLVD
DALLAS, TEXAS

(214) 638-7027
2” & ¾” bung in lid

Big Joe

i got a 55 from them.
i am thinking of an 85 or 110 !
IMHO no liner is worth the price!

Pressure wash if you have one handy, otherwise just wash it out with a scrub brush and some dish detergent and you're good to go.

I'll probaby pressure wash and scrub it out tomorrow morning...

Is there a time limit of what a good burn out time is..?!? I tried to keep it raging for as long as possible, but I got freaked out since I live in a neighborhood with houses really close to each other... I just don't want to worry about whether or not I burned everything out...

Do people pressure wash or clean out the drums after the burn out... There's a lot of soot on the upper part of the drum..??

You probably have a bit of build up from the soft wood pitch but it should wash off. Make sure you get a good fit on your lid and you will have the perfect smoker. I like the control, ease of cleaning and ability to shake your basket that you get by using the BGE vent. Looks good too!
You will find quite a difference in taste compared to the BGE with a platesetter.

I just spent $40 on all the washers, bolts, and nuts. I picked up all the last needed hardware and expanded metal this morning...

I could only find 12"x24"x1/2" expanded metal... I've seen most people using 3/4" expanded metal, is the 1/2" good to use..??

I am also frustrated because I can't find a good pan to put under my charcoal basket. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use and where to find it..?? I'm also there and want to get this baby done so I can start seasoning...!!!! hahahaa

I am also frustrated because I can't find a good pan to put under my charcoal basket. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use and where to find it..?? I'm also there and want to get this baby done so I can start seasoning...!!!! hahahaa

My wife picked up a 15" pizza pan at Target for 3 or 4 bucks. At some point it's going to be promoted to an ash pan for a uds. Didn't have any luck finding it on Target's website though.

Well I finally got 'er built and seasoned.

I thought I would post a few pics of the fire basket I ended up with.
I used a piece of expndo and welded it to a Weber 18.5" Kettle carcoal grate.
As you can see, I have no legs.
When I bought the expando, it was a "drop" from the steel supplier and it was already 12"wide.
I knew it was going to be a pain to trim it down to 9" so I just welded the charcoal grate up 3" from the bottom and I didn't need the bolts for the legs.
I used the cheap $12 grill from the dollar store for the ash pan.
I couldn't figure out how to secure the pan to the fire basket so I ended up drilling 2 holes opposite each other an running a metal rod all the way through the grill and fire basket to make it all pull out of the UDS as one unit. Now it easy to detach the ash pan from the fire basket for emptying the ash.
I have had a lot of fun building it. This forum is definitely the "Mother of all UDS" threads and has been great inspiration for me to build one. Thanks to you all.
I'm smoking ribs tomorrow...

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff72/bbq-brethren/Chikenskins UDS/P1010027.jpg

Attachments

• P1010029.jpg
    P1010029.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 818
  • P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 813
  • P1010027.jpg
    P1010027.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 811
Last edited:
Here is my first finished UDS.