Baby Backs or Spares?

Btheezy

Reaction score
What do y'all prefer to smoke low and slow?

I prefer baby backs because of how clean the meat is (less fat). Just looking for some other opinions.

Thanks guys!

I was the same way for quite a while, because my spares always came out greasy. No more.
Trim spares St. Louis style and cook 'em properly and they're every bit as good as BB's - and a LOT cheaper. :)

I enjoy both. I don't have the greasy part. I do like Arlin says, trim them and good to go. Lot cheaper then BB to me, plus more meat!

I was the same way for quite a while, because my spares always came out greasy. No more.
Trim spares St. Louis style and cook 'em properly and they're every bit as good as BB's - and a LOT cheaper. :)

I agree,especially on the price.

I'm surely gonna try that tonight. Never have I trimmed the ribs like that. But I am gonna give it a go. What types of wood would yall recommend?

St. Louis cut spares here as well - but don't get me wrong - I'll destroy a plate of baby backs no problem.

I'm surely gonna try that tonight. Never have I trimmed the ribs like that. But I am gonna give it a go. What types of wood would yall recommend?

I prefer hickory, but oak, apple, cherry & other fruit woods are good. If you're gonna use mesquite be careful you don't use too much as it's pretty strong.

it's a tough one, the money saving on spares is kinda double edged, they're cheaper, but you have to trim a lot of meat off. True, you get scrap for beans and chili, but if you just want to cook some ribs, BB's are kinda the same price, after you consider the trimmings waste, even thou it's not.

I like both. If I'm short on time I'll do BBs. Grind up the trimmings from the spares and make fatties. For wood I use hickory and/or apple. :cool:

For ribs, I do oak and either apple or cherry woods.

Try the spares, St. Louis style. Remember to pull the membrane.

I've never had St Louis style spares or spares at all for that matter. For those of you that prefer them, is it just because they are cheaper, or is the tast/meatiness when cooked right better too?

I've never had St Louis style spares or spares at all for that matter. For those of you that prefer them, is it just because they are cheaper, or is the tast/meatiness when cooked right better too?

There is a difference in taste, as the spares come from a different area than the baby backs, so I hear.

There is a difference in taste, as the spares come from a different area than the baby backs, so I hear.

They don't come from a different "area" so to speak. The back ribs are simply the upper part of the rib cage located next to the loin. Spares are the lower, belly section of ribs.

Backs are simply the top part that are cut off spares.

I prefer spares because they're meatier, contain more fat (and fat=flavor) and because they're cheaper. I also like that I get two separate meals from them; the St. Louis cut ribs and the rib tips.

Babybacks are great too, and every once in a while I make them using some more exotic rubs and sauces just to mix it up. But for competitions, and for feeding friends and family my 'signature' ribs, I go with the spares.

I'll be posting a very detailed pictorial on how to trim spares St. Louis style spares on my blog this weekend. I'll post some pics here too, stay tuned!

it's a tough one, the money saving on spares is kinda double edged, they're cheaper, but you have to trim a lot of meat off. True, you get scrap for beans and chili, but if you just want to cook some ribs, BB's are kinda the same price, after you consider the trimmings waste, even thou it's not.

A more false statement has never been made. Trimming spares is a personal preference. You don't "have" to do anything you don't want. If you feel that you're getting cheated by trimming spares, then why continue trimming?

I'll sometimes trim, but it is so that I can cook said trimmings and have a snack before the rack is done. There is never any waste where I'm from. Heck, we even chew up 90% of the cartilage.

Back