MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Default Temperature control on a stick burner?

Anybody ever use any of those Guru or similar for helping control the temperature on a stick burner? Just wondering? If yes how does it work? Brand and pics if possible.... if no thanks

Old 07-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Many of the experienced stick burner people control temps by the size of the fire. They will even leave the firebox door cracked open for extra oxygen flow. Franklin BBQ is a great example, when he's working that large pit, the firebox door is never closed and temp is controlled by the frequency of splits added. In his videos, you can see the door is always left open a few inches.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

They don't. Next question....

Old 07-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Bbq Bubba

Temp controllers don't work on stick burners.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
RX2006JE
On the road to being a farker

I use a stoker on my offset stick burner(custom made) and yes they do work, took reserve grand last year using offset stick burner with stoker and multiple places in the 2 contests that i cooked. I often cook at 350 and use the stoker to maintain that temp. That being said you still have to have good fire management and building (small clean burning fire). I have my air piped in the fire box as to keep the fan away from the hot outside of the firebox. here are some pics of how i have mine piped in on my old firebox.

just got a new firebox put on that is double insulated, custom work done by TuscaloosaQ or TQ that has the same pipe put into the firebox you can see where the outlet to hook up the fan is coming out by the back of the firebox.

is it necessary probably not, but will it keep temps where i want it and be more fuel efficient, i think so and i have drastically cut my fuel consumption since i started using the stoker in 2010.
RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Regardless if there is a controller or not... you'll still be feeding sticks the same rate if not faster (due to a stoked fire).

"Its like putting an elevator in an outhouse... just don't belong" - Roadhouse mod

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
RX2006JE

I personally went from adding a split every 30 to 45 min to maintain heat to adding a split every hour to hour 15. i start with a bed of charcoal and that gets to the temp and then add splits for the smoke. also went from using about 20 to 25 splits for a cook to 13 splits the last several times that i have cooked. I cook hot and fast so the wood amount would be different for low and slow

Old 07-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

We were in a back yard comp and a guy was using his Lang 60 Deluxe. 6500 watt generator to power just the draft control! Thought he was a bit daft.

Tasted some of his offerings after turn-in and was not at all surprised by the product. DRY, over-smoked jerky. He actually thought it was pretty good.

That is my only, admittedly limited, experience with a draft control and a stick burner. I have a Lang 48 and can control temps on it quite easily by adjusting the vents, typically once up to temps I never touch them, and adding a stick every 45 minutes or so. Pretty easy.

Stick burners need a lot of air to function properly, small live flames, and IMHO a draft control will stifle the flow resulting in a smokier and smoldering fire.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
RX2006JE

I don't compete much 2 to 3 contest a year but in the last 4 contest i have had 9 top 10 calls in different meat categories. I have not had an issue with over smoked or dry meat, it really comes down to what you are comfortable with and if you know how to run your cooker with or without draft control. As I said before do I need the Stoker(draft control) most likely not but i feel like that in comps it gives me a little extra time to focus on other things besides what temp my fire is running at and do i need to add wood, ect.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Bludawg

I am the temp/draft control you can rent me but I don't come cheap

Old 07-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
False. Have either of you even tried to use one?
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I saw no noticeable change when I used one (CyberQ II on a Bubba Grill 250 RF). I ended up selling mine off after it was recommended that I purchase more fans.
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

I enjoy being the controller. vents, fuel choice, dry, soaked, amount, Etc.

It really is more of a challange and fun than the Ronco set it and forget it!
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
RX2006JE

there was a stoker system used on a hybrid lang last night on bbq pitmasters

Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2006JE View Post
there was a stoker system used on a hybrid lang last night on bbq pitmasters

Johnny if it works for you keep on doing it!!! After the above statement I am sure people will say it works. One thing for sure no one and I mean no one has all the answers. Sounds like to me it is working for you keep on doing it!!!!!!

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->