Want Brisket - Need White Meat Chicken

tortaboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Nailed my brisket this weekend, so tender I could cut it with a feather!:becky:
I could eat it 7 days a week!

Problem is, I need to eat much less Brisket and Butt, and much more Chicken Breast. If I don't change my ways, I won't be eating much of the good stuff...or anything at all if you know what I mean.:drama:

I've been experimenting with various ways of cooking chicken breasts...as
I find the ones I like best, I'll share with the group.

Here is my goal: To cook enough chicken breast on weekends so I have plenty for meals during the week. Love moist shredded chicken breast in almost anything.

Here's the problem:
Whole Chicken = Very moist breast meat

Chicken Bone-In Breast (Pieces) = A little less moist, but still good

Boneless Skinless Breasts = Not so moist, but REALLY fast and easy to chop/shred. When the plan is to be living off this stuff, not pulling LOTS of chicken off the bones is really cool

My goal is to figure out a way to cook Boneless Skinless Breasts so they come out as moist as a Beer Can Chicken.

Is this possible?

Yes it is i cook it all the time and it is very juicy. I cook chicken breast meat to 168 it temp. I season it with spices that have very little salt because i have to watch my salt intake. But it is very possible to do so. I grill my chicken on the gasser or charcoal with a little hit of smoke. It can be made any which ways. I some times cut up raw chicken and cook it with a little ovoo which then makes good stir-fry. Need anymore help pm me if u want too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

My method lately...2ish hour bath in buttermilk and spices of the day. Dip in panko, fry, bring to temp in oven. I have no doubt that they'd be good without the fry as well. Just oven bake on a wire grate.

Nailed my brisket this weekend, so tender I could cut it with a feather!:becky:
I could eat it 7 days a week!

Problem is, I need to eat much less Brisket and Butt, and much more Chicken Breast. If I don't change my ways, I won't be eating much of the good stuff...or anything at all if you know what I mean.:drama:

I've been experimenting with various ways of cooking chicken breasts...as
I find the ones I like best, I'll share with the group.

Here is my goal: To cook enough chicken breast on weekends so I have plenty for meals during the week. Love moist shredded chicken breast in almost anything.

Here's the problem:
Whole Chicken = Very moist breast meat

Chicken Bone-In Breast (Pieces) = A little less moist, but still good

Boneless Skinless Breasts = Not so moist, but REALLY fast and easy to chop/shred. When the plan is to be living off this stuff, not pulling LOTS of chicken off the bones is really cool

My goal is to figure out a way to cook Boneless Skinless Breasts so they come out as moist as a Beer Can Chicken.

Is this possible?
Crockpot?:peep:

or maybe chicken and dumplins...

LOL Jus kiddn with ya. BUT seriously, I bet wrapping em in some good healthy bacon (if there is such a thing) would most definitely help.

Why not just cook them with the skin.. season underneath but don't eat the skin ? You'll reduce calories/fat yet still get the benefit of the moistness you are looking for. You still need fat intake... this should not be much.. better off cutting out something else, like processed foods.

Brining is a tradeoff of extra sodium you may not desire.

You can brine and smoke chicken breasts and wind up with very moist, tender and flavorful product. We have done breasts at comps a few times and placed 10th and 9th. So it can be done.

I use BBQ Grails chicken brine recipe and smoke on a WSM with no water pan at around 300 degrees until internal of about 165. Birch for smoke wood. Rub with whatever you want.

Good stuff Maynard.

Brining is the way to go!

When ever there is a good sale on i by up several packages. If they have left the filet on i remove from each breast and set aside for stir frys and other quick cooking applications. The breasts get a soak in a brine for a couple of hours the its off to the treager or indirect egg until 165 internal. After they cool off i vacuum pack the two breasts at a time. That way the freezer is always full of a quick low fat high quality protein.

My method lately...2ish hour bath in buttermilk and spices of the day. Dip in panko, fry, bring to temp in oven. I have no doubt that they'd be good without the fry as well. Just oven bake on a wire grate.

LOVE Panko. Been doing baked Onion Rings lately, but would probably work for any vegetable.

Make a buttermilk batter and some Franks Red Hot Sauce.
Dip The Onion Rings
Roll the Rings in Panko and a little salt

Put on a cookie sheet in the oven, or on your smoker high heat till crisp.

YUM!

Crockpot?:peep:

or maybe chicken and dumplins...

LOL Jus kiddn with ya. BUT seriously, I bet wrapping em in some good healthy bacon (if there is such a thing) would most definitely help.

If you come across some healthy bacon...PM me PLEASE!:becky:

Why not just cook them with the skin.. season underneath but don't eat the skin ? You'll reduce calories/fat yet still get the benefit of the moistness you are looking for. You still need fat intake... this should not be much.. better off cutting out something else, like processed foods.

Brining is a tradeoff of extra sodium you may not desire.

You're absolutely correct...the problem is boneless skinless breasts are available for $1.99 per pound all day long out here. For whatever reason,
if you want boneless skin on breasts, that costs an extra $3.00 per pound.

I'm not really a tightwad...but that price differential is nuts.

My own experience with boneless skinless chicken breast has led me to the cut more than anything else. I butterfly mine, to get an even thickness.

I have found that trying to cook the boneless, skinless breasts whole is that you have to overcook the ends to get the middles done. By butterflying them, I can cook the whole breast hot and fast, and it all get's done at the same time.

Getting the whole breast to one thickness makes it WAY easier to cook a moist, tender piece of meat.

CD

You can brine and smoke chicken breasts and wind up with very moist, tender and flavorful product. We have done breasts at comps a few times and placed 10th and 9th. So it can be done.

I use BBQ Grails chicken brine recipe and smoke on a WSM with no water pan at around 300 degrees until internal of about 165. Birch for smoke wood. Rub with whatever you want.

Good stuff Maynard.

Nice Job! I've never had boneless skinless anywhere near the moisture level of beer can....maybe the secret is brining. Will try it out for sure.

My own experience with boneless skinless chicken breast has led me to the cut more than anything else. I butterfly mine, to get an even thickness.

I have found that trying to cook the boneless, skinless breasts whole is that you have to overcook the ends to get the middles done. By butterflying them, I can cook the whole breast hot and fast, and it all get's done at the same time.

Getting the whole breast to one thickness makes it WAY easier to cook a moist, tender piece of meat.

CD

I agree. Big Breasts (On chickens) suck. :becky:

I have been experimenting with this a bit....I even bought a brand new plastic mallet....I call it my chicken mallet....I put the breasts in a clear plastic freezer bag and beat the snot out of them with my mallet. Only problem is, the mallet tends to tear the meat as it gets thin.

I really should try hitting with a cast iron pan, but I'm afraid I may chip the counter top if I hit too hard.

I'm trying to figure out something to use as a chicken mallet, bigger than a normal mallet, but smaller than a cast iron frying pan.

Using thicken as a roll up for fillings takes plain chicken to a whole new level!

I bet you could get some whole pork loins and butterfly em open and stuff them chicken breastestses in it real tight and then roll that sucker back up and tie it off with some of that cookin twine and then smoke the whole thing. Problem solved right there. Chicken guaranteed to be be moist and delicious.

I'd eat it.

for sure.

:p

Phrasty might know how to make up some "healthy bacon."

I bet you could get some whole pork loins and butterfly em open and stuff them chicken breastestses in it real tight and then roll that sucker back up and tie it off with some of that cookin twine and then smoke the whole thing. Problem solved right there. Chicken guaranteed to be be moist and delicious.

I'd eat it.

for sure.

:p

Phrasty might know how to make up some "healthy bacon."

Dude..you've been reading my mind!:thumb:

I agree. Big Breasts (On chickens) suck. :becky:

I have been experimenting with this a bit....I even bought a brand new plastic mallet....I call it my chicken mallet....I put the breasts in a clear plastic freezer bag and beat the snot out of them with my mallet. Only problem is, the mallet tends to tear the meat as it gets thin.

I really should try hitting with a cast iron pan, but I'm afraid I may chip the counter top if I hit too hard.

I'm trying to figure out something to use as a chicken mallet, bigger than a normal mallet, but smaller than a cast iron frying pan.

Using thicken as a roll up for fillings takes plain chicken to a whole new level!

No, don't beat it thin. Lay the breast down, put the palm of your had on it, and slice almost all the way through it horizontally, and then lay it open into one, evenly thick layer of meat. Cook it hot and fast -- lean meats need to cook quickly to stay moist.

CD

Back