Dirty Dalmatian rub
IMAGE_092.jpg

In the UDS
IMAGE_094.jpg

6 hours in
IMAGE_095.jpg

Sliced ready to eat, total cook / rest time 10 hours
IMAGE_097.jpg

Lookin good! I'm swear I'm gonna give that bbqmafunkamawhootsadig's (sorry, dude, I can never remember your handle :lol::lol:) tri level rub, which includes the dalmation rub next time I do a brisket. I'm having trouble finding the no salt lemon pepper though.

it was very good, i love using the tri-level rub it has greatly improved the flavor all through the brisket. I tried out a pecan / cherry mix for wood and it was great, can tell a difference between that and a hickory smoke.

Ooo, good looking brisket there.

Lookin good! I'm swear I'm gonna give that bbqmafunkamawhootsadig's (sorry, dude, I can never remember your handle :lol::lol:) tri level rub, which includes the dalmation rub next time I do a brisket. I'm having trouble finding the no salt lemon pepper though.

Lawry's makes a lemon pepper that is a little lower in salt than most (meaning it is not the first ingredient listed). You can pick it up at most grocery stores. Since it still has salt, you'd just want to mix it with something like granulated garlic, onion, or cayenne, if you were going to use it along with salt and pepper. I used 2 parts kosher salt, 2 parts course grind pepper, 1 part Lawry's lemon pepper and 1 part granulated garlic.
product_lemonpepper_seasoning.ashx

Since I like to monitor the amount of sodium in my diet, I just added dried lemon peel and powdered garlic to the salt and pepper. It worked well.

Actually, I don't really like monitoring the sodium, my doctor informed me that I do.

Since I like to monitor the amount of sodium in my diet, I just added dried lemon peel and powdered garlic to the salt and pepper. It worked well.

Actually, I don't really like monitoring the sodium, my doctor informed me that I do.

good call though on the alternative...although it is something my girl says for me to do, i also to not like watching my sodium. I am sure your doctor, and my girl want the best for us...I too use lemon peel and garlic in the salt/pepper mix in place of lemon pepper. If nothing else, making your own spices in that manner just feels better, you feel closer to your food. cracking pepper, shaving lemon, etc...

I use Mrs Dash lemon pepper. None of the Mrs Dash products contain salt and are widely available.

NUTZ

Lawry's makes a lemon pepper that is a little lower in salt than most (meaning it is not the first ingredient listed). You can pick it up at most grocery stores. Since it still has salt, you'd just want to mix it with something like granulated garlic, onion, or cayenne, if you were going to use it along with salt and pepper. I used 2 parts kosher salt, 2 parts course grind pepper, 1 part Lawry's lemon pepper and 1 part granulated garlic.
product_lemonpepper_seasoning.ashx

Good idea! Thanks!! I see that in the spice isle all the time. I'll definately give that a try if I can't find any straight up no salt lemon pepper,

it was very good, i love using the tri-level rub it has greatly improved the flavor all through the brisket. I tried out a pecan / cherry mix for wood and it was great, can tell a difference between that and a hickory smoke.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm sorry, especially for beef, I just do not like hickory at all. It comes out tasting like bacon. But I know a lot of brethren do well with it and enjoy it, so more power to you if that's your thing. Haven't tried cherry yet, but looking around on craigslist here in the MI, it seems to be a little more prevalent than apple, which is my favorite regional wood. Mesquite is my absolute favorite, unfortunately that doesn't grow in these parts...

Back