MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 PM   #31
Ribsket
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddu View Post
Not to add any confusion, but have you looked at Southern Q Smokers?

Todd
Where's the fun in not adding confusion?

Thanks for mentioning them! I rather evaluate everything now before I've purchased a new pit.

I had looked at Southern Q; the site and model names look familiar but its been a while. I didn't find as much about these smokers as some of the other brands. Maybe that's why I stopped reviewing them. The Limo looks interesting,especially in the two door configuration. I'd need to learn a lot more about these pits though.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:40 AM   #32
Ribsket

I wanted to give everyone an update; I always find it difficult to read a thread and not see any resolution at the end!

We haven't purchased a smoker yet. We discovered we might have some size issues moving some of these units around the perimeter of our home, so we're working on that first. I've taken everyone's advice, and I have contacted a few more of the manufacturers that you all suggested. To my surprise, some of them never wrote back to my request for more information about their products.

For those of you with gravity feed smokers, do you find that the placement of the charcoal chute and firebox changes the cooking dynamics of the smoker? I see that Stumps builds the chute and the firebox on the side; Assassin normally on the back. I'd think the fire side and opposite of it would have the highest heat. My thought: if the firebox is on the side (Stumps), I'd have a higher heat on a side (or side to side) versus back (or front to back on the Assassin). That would make a difference in food placement. Am I overthinking this?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #33
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I've only had my T&K for a couple weeks but the wide wheel base is awesome. I never feel like I'm going to dump it over. With my insulated cabinet I feel like the center of gravity is too high and any slight uneven surface or drop and it's going to fall over. If you are going to be moving it around this will become very important. Unless you only move it on concrete. My bottom rack is not exactly even with the top but it's only 25-30 hotter vs 50-100 I hear about from some gf cookers. I like the chute on the side so I'm not working behind the cooker. I also like that the design is not another rectangular box. I have enough of those already. I like being a little different. Todd and the St Louis BBQ Store will treat you right. The crating is really good and their shipping is very reasonable too. I'd put the crate up there with what you see from LSG. It's a heavy, sturdy thing too.

edit: i never really thought about the top of the cooker before but mine has the diamond plate on top. i have already been beating that top up in just a few cooks. if it was painted i would be scratching it all up or not using it as a table at all.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)

Last edited by pjtexas1; 08-04-2017 at 10:47 AM..
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #34
Ribsket

Since we've had a lot of new manufacturers added, I figure I'll add my own curveball here.

Does anyone have an opinion of the Ole Hickory CTO or Ace MM compared to a gravity feed?

I realize these are entirely different units. The gravity feed can run unattended longer; Ole Hickory says a log or wood will last about six hours in their units. I've heard it can be longer, especially in the Ace MM with a full charcoal basket and burn down.

Running a unit for 18+ hours (gravity feed) without refilling is enticing but might be excessive if the Ole Hickory units provide other benefits. For example, many folks mention (very) hot spots in some of the gravity fed smokers, and (possibly) lesser amounts of smoke flavor compared to other types of smokers. If the Ole Hickory produces a better product more consistently, but can only provide about eight hours of unattended use, that might be a good trade off. Has anyone used the Ole Hickory units outdoors in the cold of winter or can comment on these aspects?

I had an easier time getting married than making this decision!

Old 09-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #35
rikun
On the road to being a farker

About the flavor profile...

I don't own a GF unit, but we've borrowed GF on few competitions. I own ceramic cookers, UDS, WSM and RF stick burner myself.

The most pronounced smoke profile I've tasted has come from the GF! We didn't even add wood to the chute, we just kept feeding her few chunks for about 3-4 hours into the cook.

When I say most pronounced I don't mean "heavy" like with UDS or WSM. It's incredibly distinctive, but still "clean" and light.

I'm pretty bad at tasting smoke wood differences, but with gravity feed the difference between woods was pretty clear.

I think it's somewhat a cross between WSM and stick burner flavor profile. I have to say I really liked that.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #36
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikun View Post

I don't own a GF unit, but we've borrowed GF on few competitions. I own ceramic cookers, UDS, WSM and RF stick burner myself.

The most pronounced smoke profile I've tasted has come from the GF! We didn't even add wood to the chute, we just kept feeding her few chunks for about 3-4 hours into the cook.

When I say most pronounced I don't mean "heavy" like with UDS or WSM. It's incredibly distinctive, but still "clean" and light.

I'm pretty bad at tasting smoke wood differences, but with gravity feed the difference between woods was pretty clear.

I think it's somewhat a cross between WSM and stick burner flavor profile. I have to say I really liked that.
someone asked me to explain the difference in smoke flavor on my gf and my stick burner. i could not really put it into words. i think you stated it pretty well.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #37
Smoking Piney
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I noticed this when I got my Assassin. I can definitely detect the difference between the smoke woods - smell and taste.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #38
GWFETTY

This is a great thread. I'm right in the middle of the same decision. For the stumps owners - any issues with paint bubbling near the firebox door? I asked about the diamond plate metal on the side, and was told it was to prevent paint bubbles.
GWFETTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #39
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Piney View Post
I noticed this when I got my Assassin. I can definitely detect the difference between the smoke woods - smell and taste.
Same here. I'm not digging the smell of the hickory mini logs as they burn. I thought I would be using these in my gf as they are the perfect size.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #40
Ribsket

Thumbs up

Quote:

I think this is hugely helpful! It's so hard to articulate a taste and I think this paints a pretty great picture for me. Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Piney View Post
I definitely couldn't on my pellet and sometimes struggle to on my Weber. This may be a big selling point to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Same here. I'm not digging the smell of the hickory mini logs as they burn. I thought I would be using these in my gf as they are the perfect size.
Not sure I know of these logs - do you have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
someone asked me to explain the difference in smoke flavor on my gf and my stick burner. i could not really put it into words. i think you stated it pretty well.
Agreed!! Thank you all!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #41
pjtexas1

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Cowboy-Charco...nks/1000162563

Old 09-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #42
GWFETTY

Anything else to consider?
GWFETTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #43
Ribsket

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWFETTY View Post
Anything else to consider?
I think that's all the confusion I can add!

My last concern with the gravity feed is just longevity. I've seen many for sale that look *very* used in a short period of time. I'm planning on buying whatever I buy new but it has given me more than just a little pause.

The OHP line's convection features are enticing, but it looks like a CTO will run about 40% more delivered. Granted, the CTO has a burner and a gas line, but that's a lotta brisket!

Old 09-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #44
Ribsket

After much deliberation and a ton of discussion, we’ve placed an order for a customized Assassin 28 with a custom color. Jeff and crew have just been outstanding to work with. That’s not to say any other vendor we spoke to wasn’t, it just came down to features, customizations, and cost in the end. Assassin’s reputation of giving you the most for the money is well earned!

Now the wait begins. I look forward to sharing build pictures and my overall experience with everyone!

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #45
pjtexas1

What options?

Tags
Assassin 28, assassin smoker, Flame Boss, gravity fed smoker, gravity feed smoker, Ole Hickory, stumps