MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
TX_LJ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Looking for advice for company picnic

Hey all,

I signed up to cook for my company picnic. I'm told there will be ~50 adults. I know we'll have some sides, chips and dips, bread, and potentially even some grilled chicken (I'm not cooking that) and some veggies, and beer.

That in mind - I looked at the meat calculator that someone posted a while back and I'm not sure exactly what to think. Mainly - I don't plan on serving each plate - I'll slice the ribs and one brisket at a time as needed but I am not measuring.

So - the calculator says I need ~12 slabs. I'm okay with that. I am also doing brisket. My initial thought was I needed about 4 ~12lb packers in addition to the ribs, but the spreadsheet seems to indicate I should have about 9.5 pounds of cooked meat. That's just about one brisket cooked...that seems off by a lot, or I'm way overestimating what I need.

Questions:
1. I'm assuming if I start with ~12-13lb prime packer that it'll cook down to yield about 9 pounds. Is that a fair assumption?

2. Is the spreadsheet in line with what you'd cook given the info I have provided? If not, specifically on the brisket, how many would you plan for?

Thanks y'all!

Last edited by TX_LJ; 04-01-2019 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling...
TX_LJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Figure 50% loss on the brisket so at 1/3 lb per person x 50 = 17ish lbs so figure at least 34-35 lbs of raw brisket. I would figure 3 bones per person for ribs so your right there.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
bam
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Figure 50% loss on the brisket so at 1/3 lb per person x 50 = 17ish lbs so figure at least 34-35 lbs of raw brisket. I would figure 3 bones per person for ribs so your right there.
This Seems About Right.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote