• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Completed UDS Build

indianagriller

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here is the burn out...

The charcoal baskets made by a friend for a rack of ribs

Just bolted together before the seasoning burn and paint it held a constant temp for about 10 hours before i closed it up for the day.

The final assembly and painting. Looking to make a metal cart something like what they are sitting on.

I have a little touch up work to do, but on Wednesday I have a 13 lb packer brisket that is going in as the first smoke.

I hope to learn the UDS so I can have a good showing at the Madison Ribberfest.

Wow those are some killer baskets for a nice looking pair of drums. :-D

I smoked an eight lb packer for my first smoke on the UDS just this last Sunday and the UDS held temp great. One thing I noticed was that my dial gage on front like yours was about 20 degrees cooler than my grate temp was. I don't know if this is consistant on all drums but is something to watch. Good luck with that packer.

I just finished mine to. it turned out great. Its the best smoker i have. I would love to make one out of a wiskey barrel next.

sell them baskets... what a craftsman

you got to know how to roll em...you got to know how to smoke em. may the smoke be with you.

Excellent drums! Great to smoke on, became my favorite rite away!

Nice work, hope your first run turns out as great as those drums

wow those are some really nice baskets. Hope the drums do them justice.

Tuck

my dial gage on front like yours was about 20 degrees cooler than my grate temp was. I don't know if this is consistant on all drums but is something to watch.

It's pretty standard that the edge of the drum will be cooler than the center by 20* to 50* depending on the drum. A heat shield will help even out the temps. I use a "grilling wok" from Menards on top of the charcoal basket - make sure to get the one with the holes in it :-D. My drum has the Weber lid & my side / dome temps run about 10* different.

Nice work, you'll love it. It's a real BBQ pit. Cheap, consistent and efficient.

Very nice. I would keep an eye on the basket on the left. Ash might buid up on bottom and choke off air flow. Might take a little more shaking.

I had that concern with the air flow and ash build up but i did not seem to notice anything during the seasoning burn. I will update with any info if it becomes a problem.

You cannot really see it in the pic but i have welded 2 pieces of angle iron to the bottom and it raises it up about 4 inches up from the bottom.

I would love to make one out of a wiskey barrel next.

You can do it but there are several drawbacks.

They are 2 short to have more than one grill inside. They are only 34" inside lid to lid.

Another main problem is that the fire will dry out the wood and the staves will shrink. Then the rings come loose and the barrel will basically try to fall apart.

Third main problem is keep the fire off the floor of the barrel.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will be a high maint unit unlike a UDS.

The whiskey barrel does look great though with a thermometer thru the side. :wink:

Just completed one myself last weekend...............hoping to season and do the first burn this coming weekend. Looking forward to trying a brisket on it. Planning on welding a ring on the inside lip at the top to accommodate a 22.5" Werber lid. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg