First Pizza on BGE

Trucky1008

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Went out and bought my baking stone and platesetter today and couldn't wait to give a pizza a try. I didn't have the time to make my own dough, which I've never done before anyway, so I bought some at the store. Threw on some sauce, shredded mozzarella and some pepperoni. I fired up the egg with the stone on and waited about 30 minutes. I decided to bake the pizza at 450 and it took about 23 minutes to get done.

The outside crust and top finished perfect, but the crust on the bottom was not nearly hard enough. I suspect that I didn't let the stone warm up enough. Should I have let the stone warm up at 450 for 30 minutes or should 30 minutes from start up be enough time?

Even though the crust wasn't up to par the pizza tasted great!

3599550444_db856eb4bc_o.jpg

3598741521_92c0014dbf_o.jpg

When I start prepping for pizza, i fire the egg up first and I let the temps run away for a bit at first to get the stone REALLY hot. The egg goes 600-700 and then I damper down to about 550. i tell its tone by tossing a bit of cornmeal on it it starts to toast right away, and i brush it off.

when ready with the pizza(on a peel), I cover the stone with some cornmeal and slide the pie onto the stone.

At 550-600 pies are done in about 8-10 minutes. Crust so far has been perfect doing it like this, even the whole wheat ones(which i happen to really like).

Don,

Looks great. When dough cooks the water in the dough will turn to steam. If the dough is on a metal surface like a regular pizza oven or a pizza pan the steam will be trapped and result in a limp crust. Cooking on a stone is the way to go becuase the stone absorbs the steam. You just need to get your stone hotter by giving it more time. The parchment paper is ok you just need the stone hotter. Just give it time to get there. If your dome temp is hot and your stone is not you loose that advantage. When you pull the pie slide it onto a cooling rack for a while. This will allow the crust to cool down without more steam issues. You will be a hero when you are done.

It's all over for you now - no store bought pizza at your house again. Looks good.

good start!
here are my first pizzas

26jan07-017.jpg
26jan07-003.jpg

3feb07-005.jpg
3feb07-010.jpg

keep practicing! it does get better!

....I let the temps run away for a bit at first to get the stone REALLY hot. The egg goes 600-700 and then I damper down to about 550. i tell its tone by tossing a bit of cornmeal on it it starts to toast right away, and i brush it off.

That sounds like a great idea. I kinda figured I didn't get the stone hot enough. I'll be doing another pie tomorrow and I'll give that a try. Thanks Phil.

When you pull the pie slide it onto a cooling rack for a while. This will allow the crust to cool down without more steam issues.
Better find the cooling rack, I could really tell that moisture built up as the pizza sat on the counter. Thanks for the advice.

It's all over for you now - no store bought pizza at your house again. Looks good.
Thanks, the family really liked it, and for less than $6 for ingredients it makes for a really cheap meal!

Back