Question: Beef Ribs

Pig Daddy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I left beef ribs on counter overnight by accident while cleaning fridge.:doh: They were left out 8 hrs. and I'd say the room temp was about 70*. Are these still good? :pray:

The industry standard in comercial kitchens is, as soon as the meat reaches 41 degrees you have four hours to bring it above 140, or below 40. If you can't make ether of those temps in 4 hours then it is not useable product. I follow this rule in my restaurant, but not always at home. I would eat them. If they were covered well and you plan to cook them now I would say no harm done. You will get them hot enough to be eatable. That is purely my opinion tho. My Wife wouldn't touch them if it was at my house. Which would mean more delicious beef ribs for me!

open and smell. if they have an odor, rinse any blood off, dry and smell again. you'll be able to tell.

i'd prolly cook em. but like said above wife wouldn't go anywhere near.

I'd cook 'em. After a low and slow for a number of hours at temp, there will not be any bacteria still alive to cause harm. Of course YMMV, and that's just what I would do - I am not making any recommendations here!! :wink:

I'd cook 'em. After a low and slow for a number of hours at temp, there will not be any bacteria still alive to cause harm. Of course YMMV, and that's just what I would do - I am not making any recommendations here!! :wink:

Be careful.
If you believe heat over time kills all harmful bacteria, you won't be with us for as long as you should be.

Op, I agree with Boogie...your nose is a very efficient piece of equipment, and helped us get to where we are today.
I'd use it.

Be careful.
If you believe heat over time kills all harmful bacteria, you won't be with us for as long as you should be.

Op, I agree with Boogie...your nose is a very efficient piece of equipment, and helped us get to where we are today.
I'd use it.

Buccaneer, you might very well be right, I sure ain't no expert food scientist that is fo' sho'!! But I would cook 'em and eat 'em prolly, but that's just me. Now that is unless and of course they were really stinky as suggested by others. At that point, I think my "gross out factor" would over-ride my "hate to throw 'em out - they cost alot of money" urges . . . .

Again, YMMV for sure . . . . :wink: At the end of the day, unless "resources" were very tight, the safest thing to do would be toss 'em in the trash.

If they don't make you sick (which is very unlikely they will), they'll probably be uber tender and extra beefy! Quick aged with enzymes! Take one for the team and report back, they'll probably be your best ever!

Back