MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Ross in Ventura
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Boneless Beef Short Ribs with a old friend

The first time used Southern Flavor was in 1990 Selma Alabama, I was working on the movie Blue Sky with Jessica Lang and Tommy Lee Jones. The first thing I would do when I arrived on a movie location is go by a Weber BBQ sense I was going to be there 8 weeks I would be able to cook food I liked, something Grilled meat, veg. and so on. I went to a small market Selma that I forgot the name of and found some filet mignon all ready seasoned I asked the butcher what it was seasoned with he said a special seasoning they used I bought 2 filet's and some corn to grill. The flavor was wonderful, Be for I just used salt, pepper and garlic on the meat. During the first week I asked the local folks what kind of seasoning they used in that area they all said Southern Spice later changed to Southern Flavor it's still works really well on beef and pork. I found some at that same store, I'm still using it.
The first time used Southern Flavor was in 1990 Selma Alabama, I was working on the movie Blue Sky with Jessica Lang and Tommy Lee Jones. The first thing I would do when I arrived on a movie location is go by a Weber BBQ sense I was going to be there 8 weeks I would be able to cook food I liked, something Grilled meat, veg. and so on. I went to a small market Selma that I forgot the name of and found some filet mignon all ready seasoned I asked the butcher what it was seasoned with he said a special seasoning they used I bought 2 filet's and some corn to grill. The flavor was wonderful, Be for I just used salt, pepper and garlic on the meat. During the first week I asked the local folks what kind of seasoning they used in that area they all said Southern Spice later changed to Southern Flavor it's still works really well on beef and pork. I found some at that same store, I'm still using it.
https://www.southernflavor.com/index...d=15&Itemid=62

Two boneless short ribs, I bought a package of them at Costco the rest are in the freezer and with Southern flavor seasoned 2-hrs be for grilling

On the grill @ 500*

After 12-min. looking good

After 3-min. with olive oil and Newman's Balsamic Dressing and

Served with baked potato butter sour cream and bacon bits. It dose not get much better than this

Thanks for looking

Ross

2 members found this post helpful.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

Those looks amazing I like to serve mine with a Chianti reduction, a little goes a long way to accent and highlight the flavor of the ribs, your look terrific.
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Fantastic Looking Meal !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Killer!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

very tasty looking dish!

KC

Old 04-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Ross that looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for the heads up on the Southern Flavor, I will definitely give it a try!

Now that I think about it, Tuscaloosa Q also mentioned that he uses this rub too. I meant to buy some awhile back and forgot! Will get that done today. lol

Thanks again Ross!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Ross in Ventura
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Ross that looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for the heads up on the Southern Flavor, I will definitely give it a try!

Now that I think about it, Tuscaloosa Q also mentioned that he uses this rub too. I meant to buy some awhile back and forgot! Will get that done today. lol

Thanks again Ross!
Thanks Jeanie,it's a good one I have been using it 20 or so years give it a try

Ross

Old 04-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross in Ventura View Post
Thanks Jeanie,it's a good one I have been using it 20 or so years give it a try

Ross
Ross I'm looking forward to trying it! Have you used the Wild Game flavor too? If so... did you like it?
Thanks again.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Ross in Ventura
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Ross I'm looking forward to trying it! Have you used the Wild Game flavor too? If so... did you like it?
Thanks again.
No I have not I have used the original,garlic, and Cajun all very good I have never used the wild game! I I had some wild game I would get some the are all good

Ross

Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Very nice Ross!

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Bigdog

I love the Southern Flavor stuff. One word of caution, it is SALTY. It's a season salt after all. I always get the 3 pack of regular, garlic and cajon. Not tried the wild bird stuff as I do not cook wild bird, but if I did, I would definately try it.

Southern Flavor was at one time the go to rub here on the forum back in the beginning when we were still the Bandera Brethern. Brother Bill, wilkat98 used to send new members a package of the stuff.

BOT: I wanna be like Ross when I grow up. Great job as always Ross.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
Arlin_MacRae

Blast from the past, there! I've got some left from the old days, but it IS salty so it doesn't get used so much anymore. And it's great to see you, Ross! Excellent pr0n!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Nice lookin cook and story Ross, Thanks

Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
deepsouth

nice.