MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Should NCGrimbo buy those Boston Butts?
Why are you listening to me. Listen to your heart. 8 7.48%
Nope. Saving cash isn't worth the loss of sleep. 0 0%
Yes, but plan on cutting them down so they cook faster. 8 7.48%
Yes. To heck with sleep you lazy bumm. 91 85.05%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree...I try to average them in the 10 lb range for the ones I cook, 8 1/2 is slightly on the small side IMO. Like others have said, cook them in the 275* range for a faster cook...they'll be able to take it.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, 8-9 pounds if what I consider a decent size, far from monstrous. I would have grabbed a couple. I cook hot, so I rarely run a cook of a 9 pounder for more than 9 hours.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
jestridge

If you aint got the time to cook bbq , take up another hobby,
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
deguerre

90 percent of responders think Grimbo's lazy. We already knew Ronelle just lies there. Does willkat98 EVER have any fun?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #20
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

.99 cents a pound and you had to think about buying some Damm, I usually am happy to get them here for around 1.45 lb.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I like to cook #8 - #10 butts. I've always had more difficulty getting good results with 4# - 6# butts. I didn't think that I was alone. So, your question caught me a bit off guard. But, I also have a drum that is pretty much set and forget. Maybe if I had a smoke that required constant feeding I would sing a different tune.

I totally agree cooking hotter is one way to speed it up. I also think trimming a pound or two off of each to grind up for sausage isn't a bad idea. (WHAT? You don't have a grinder? BANNED! ) And, I also think that passing on sales rather than loading up with more than you can handle and having stuff end up wasted rather than spending $5 - $10 more down the road is okay too. Do what makes sense to you, not us crazy zealots on the internet. We're not really real.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

.99 is a farkin' great deal, the last time they were on sale for .99 here, I loaded the freezer. And a 8-10 lb. butt is normal sized, not anywhere near humongous. And it sure don't take 12 hours to cook a 10-lb. butt, unless you're cooking at some ridiculously low temp. I can cook 10-lb. butts in 8 hours or less, and that's not hurrying, that's making them turn out great. Cook at 250-275 degrees for a few hours until the internal hits about 170 and they stall. If you want to speed it up then, you can wrap in foil and put it back in the smoker to save an hour or two and it'll still be great.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #23
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

8 lbs is the perfect size, not to big not to small at .99 cents a lb I would grab a few
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

I look for 8-10 pounders. If you're having for lunch, cook overnight. Dinner, put it on at around 6:00AM at 275.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench_H View Post
What are you cooking on Grimbo? Is there not anyway you can set your smoker up around midnight and then get some sleep for a few hours?
I cook on a small SpiceWine. With the wood shelf packed, I can get between 5 and 6 hours before I need to refuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Don't you own a stoker? Put that bad boy to work! Stock up on 99 cent butts!
I do and I will. Still won't get me through a 9+ hour cook without the need to feed the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Have you bought them yet?

I've been convinced by all the loving comments I got here to pick a few up. So I'll be stopping at the store on my way home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
90 percent of responders think Grimbo's lazy. We already knew Ronelle just lies there. Does willkat98 EVER have any fun?
He has plenty of fun. Just ask him.

-NCGrimbo
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #26
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrimbo View Post
I started to reach in to grab a few when it dawned on me that if this hunk of meat took 1.5 hours per pound that I was looking at a 12 hour cook time. For me, running the smoker for 12 hours is longer than I like and one of the reasons I don't do brisket that often. So I stopped myself from grabbing one and continued my shoppping.

The problem is that it's been over 12 hours and I'm still thinking about those hunks of meat. If I get one, I'll have to go to bed early on Friday and get up around 8:00 on a Saturday, something I don't usually do.

So, I've posted a poll and I'd like everyone's opinion.

-NCGrimbo
Don' forget to calculate the rest time after the cook into the equation....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

definitely stock up, and cook a little hotter...275° or so, and you'll still get great results

Old 06-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #28
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

I would have 5 in the freezer at that price.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #29
Woodmonkey
Full Fledged Farker

I bought about 50#'s last month @$.99/lb. Had the burcher cut a few into 1 1/2-2 inch steaks, some 1" steaks and a few bone in country ribs. If you have the freezer capacity hit the road running. You can always grind some up for sausage if that fits your life style.
Woodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
letdasmokeroll
Full Fledged Farker

i usually start mine around 6am ...if it takes 12 hours so be it ...the problem i have found is i wont start drinking beer till at least 11am so what the heck do i do for the first 5 hours
letdasmokeroll is offline   Reply With Quote