Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
It is not uncommon for owners of the Pit Barrel Cooker, who are justifiably proud of their cookers, to be told by friends that although it might cook some good food, they could build the same thing for $50 - $100. Well folks, just because you say it that doesn't make it so.

Granted, people have been building Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS) for years, and they are quite amazing and inexpensive cookers. However, as Amazingribs.com and hundreds of other reviewers have stated, the PBC is not just a regular UDS. There is something about the 30 gallon drum size (vs the standard 55 gallons), the hanging of the meat, the pre-measured coal basket, and the very precise venting that makes the food that comes from the PBC out of this world.

But then you may say, “well I can build a UDS with a 30 gallon drum, buy some rebar and meat hooks and I can still spend less than $100." Well let’s look at that statement a little closer, shall we? I’ll review each component of Pit Barrel Cooker package and see what it might cost to duplicate. And let’s assume for the most part that you will be using new parts. After all, the PBC does not use recycled drums, grates, etc., so you should factor that into your cost to build. This should be fun.

New 30 Gallon Drum: Pit Barrel uses new 18 gauge barrels built to their specs. They do not use adhesive to affix the bottom of the drum to the sides, and this is an important consideration as you will see below in the porcelain coating section. We’ll set this issue aside for a moment and assume you will buy a standard drum. One of the best prices you will find online for an open lid drum is on Amazon: $71.95 + $34.54 shipping. Total: $106.49
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/SKOLNIK-Carbon-Steel-gallons-1-2mm/dp/B006P5ROWQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430958200&sr=8-3&keywords=30+gallon+drum"]SKOLNIK Carbon Steel Open Head Drum, 30 gallons, Bolt Ring, 1.2mm Body Gauge (Pack of 1): Science Lab Drums: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31CLlxeu5AL.@@AMEPARAM@@31CLlxeu5AL[/ame]

Grill Grate 18 inches. Amazon with free shipping: $16.99
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7432-Cooking-Grate/dp/B000WEPFOK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430957286&sr=8-2&keywords=weber+grill+grates+for+18.5+kettle"]Amazon.com : Weber 7432 Cooking Grate : Grill Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KVMRLwQPL.@@AMEPARAM@@51KVMRLwQPL[/ame]

Stainless Steel Hooks: Pack of 8. PBC hooks are custom made, and are sturdy and very well made. The closest item I could find online was at Lions Deal Restaurant and Office Wholesale: $17.52 + $10.44 Shipping. Total: $27.96
http://www.lionsdeal.com/jr-9116.html

Fire Basket: You could make or buy an expanded metal basket for about $40 - $60, but the PBC basket is made of a heavy gauge steel ring and steel rod grate. A very conservative estimate to build your own or have a welder make one for you is $50.

Horseshoe Stand: Granted you do not need a stand for your barrel but to compare apples to apples we need to estimate what it would cost to build one yourself or have one made for you. Again, a conservative estimate would be about $15.

Hook Tool and Rebar: Nothing too fancy here, but let’s say a total of $8.

Two Jars of 4.7 OZ Rub: These are included in your Pit Barrel Kit so we should include these in your estimate. They retail for $7.95 a piece at the Pit Barrel website but let’s reduce the price a bit as you can make your own for a total of $5.

Porcelain Finish: This is where it gets really tricky. It is pretty safe to say that no do-it-yourselfer has the equipment, materials and expertise to apply a high quality porcelain coat to the barrel and lid. It is also doubtful that you could find someone in your area who could do the job. In fact, it took months of searching to find a company that was up to the task, and then it took countless test samples to get the process just right.

During the testing process it was determined that the barrels you will find at retail or in the scrap yard are not designed for porcelain coating. The adhesive used to affix the bottom on standard drums will not hold up to the 1550 degrees heating process used in applying the coating. The glue will blow out and prevent the porcelain from adhering and will create a very messy looking coating. Pit Barrel Cookers have always been made without the adhesive bottom so this was a very happy accident. But for the sake of argument, let’s say you could somehow find a company capable of doing the coating and you could find a drum that is adhesive-free. What would you think this would set you back? We can’t imagine you could do it for less than $150. But to be generous, let’s say it would only cost you $100.

Total Estimated Investment (excluding your time and any gas you use going to the store to purchase supplies): $329.44.

Cost of the Pit Barrel Cooker: $299.00. So the fine folks at Pit Barrel Company have saved you $30.44. And again that is using very low estimates for things like the coal basket and porcelain coating.

And think of the time and frustration you save. You have a choice: You could order your PBC today and be cooking some of the tastiest food you will ever have within just a few short days. Or you can think about building one yourself and most likely never get around to it. Even if you do get up the energy to take on this daunting project, think of the long hours of labor, the headaches in trying to source your parts and specialized labor (remember that porcelain coating), and the fact that you may not nail your build and will never know the pleasure of eating the juiciest and most favorable smoked chicken ever. It’s your call. But if I were you, I think I would be calling the Pit Barrel Cooker Company.

I don't think a 30gallon drum would run me $100.

That said I think it's a fair deal. Same cost as a wsm 18 and comparable size.

Bob you put a bunch of work into this.. nice job!

Now the # s might be a bit scewed but thats ok. You and others LOVE the PBC and thats great, just don't take it personal if someone jokingly calls it a UDS.

Nicely written. I believe your estimates are pretty accurate without doing a ton of research.

Ninja, what do you think you'd pay for a 30 gallon drum? I'm asking because around me they are very hard to find. Even a good 55 gallon is hard though easier than a 30 gallon. The few prices I've seen on the 30s were pretty high, around $70 and I'm not sure those are even able to be used for cooking.

Bob you put a bunch of work into this.. nice job!

Now the # s might be a bit scewed but thats ok. You and others LOVE the PBC and thats great, just don't take it personal if someone jokingly calls it a UDS.

Don't want him gettin mad at you eh? Lol :biggrin1:

Nicely written. I believe your estimates are pretty accurate without doing a ton of research.

Ninja, what do you think you'd pay for a 30 gallon drum? I'm asking because around me they are very hard to find. Even a good 55 gallon is hard though easier than a 30 gallon. The few prices I've seen on the 30s were pretty high, around $70 and I'm not sure those are even able to be used for cooking.

Well maybe not new. I have a good relationship with my local scrap yard (he's been buying aluminum of me for years) so I know a guy.

hard to get quotes this time of night but using Google I found a nice looking one for $20 in like 2 minutes

Another consideration is that not everybody has the tools needed to build a UDS (I'm a software guy and that's hardware :becky:). For those, that can be an additional expense.

I heard a rumor that they wanted to call it the pit barrel smoker but the government deemed it wasn't a real smoker so they had to change the name to pcb.

Well maybe not new. I have a good relationship with my local scrap yard (he's been buying aluminum of me for years) so I know a guy.

hard to get quotes this time of night but using Google I found a nice looking one for $20 in like 2 minutes

If you can find a new drum at a lower price let know and I will update my pricing.

If you can find a new drum at a lower price let know and I will update my pricing.

don't know about new. Maybe I'll dig around tomorrow.

Imo even if you went conservative and put the parts cost at $200 it's a deal as $100 is conservative for labor and that doesn't even include coating.

Bob C Cue
Brother you did a fine job on your write up above. I would like to add just one thing that you left out. The PBC kicks ass, plain and simple.

Thanks very much for the nice words. As much as I like the PBC I would be willing to trade mine for your Shirley straight up. :wink:

I built a 30gal drum pit with two rebar rods, some hooks and an intake only difference is mine is not powder coated and no horseshoes. Oh well.
I probably have $ 80 - 100 invested.

This isn't rocket science

-At that price it will definitely be used - PBC is new

-Most likely needing burned out - PBC ready to cook 20 min after receiving

-Not gonna be porcelain coated (or painted for that matter and it'll need painted after you burn it) - PBC Porcelain coated

-Wire brushed scraping required if its got a liner in it - Again PBC is ready to go within 20 min

-55 gallon drum - PBC is 30 gallon which some believe actually is a better size for cooking due to some scientific jargon that I wanna believe :biggrin1: and 30 gallon is harder to find usually making it more expensive......

Face it you want a PBC too! :becky: :thumb:

I built a 30gal drum pit with two rebar rods, some hooks and an intake only difference is mine is not powder coated and no horseshoes. Oh well.
I probably have $ 80 - 100 invested.

This isn't rocket science

Wow that's a great price! :thumb:.......Would you mine breaking down the cost of your parts for us? Not disagreeing with you just curious.

If you add powder coating I'm guessing that's another $70-100?? Which would put you close to the $200 mark....

Back