Oakridge BBQ in Afghanistan!

kcmike

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
About a month before Christmas, the phone rang an on the other end of the line I hear a gentleman's voice say: "Hi Mike, this is Ken ****. I'm calling from Kabul, Afghanistan. Needless to say, Ken had my immediate attention...

Ken proceeds to tell me how he and his other contractor friends were wanting to do a traditional American BBQ feast for their fellow comrades and was wondering if we would ship into Afghanistan. Well, you guessed it; in a few days a care package was on it's way half way around the world... :becky: :becky:

It's been a while since I spoke to Ken and I had honestly almost forgotten about it. Well, I got an email today from Ken here's what he had to say...

"Hello Mike,

Hope you and the gang there had great holidays. As promised, here are some pics of the two smokes we did right before Christmas and on Boxing Day. Our first cook we had to use a grill that our hotel had on the rooftop bar/grill. But we had ordered a smoker on Amazon, so we were able to use it on the second cook. We got some pork butts from Dubai, since Afghanistan is a Muslim country and there is no pork here. It cost us $15/kg...crazy expensive. We are planning on doing some more cooks when the weather warms up. We are in Kabul, right by the airport and it is in the 30s and teens at night with snow, so not conducive to being on a rooftop smoking all day. My partner Gary is the one in the pictures. He is originally from South Africa, but has been in Virginia for the past 30 years. He is a Forensic Firearms Examiner and I am a Cellular and Computer Forensics Mentor at the Afghan National Crime Laboratory. We are both retired Law Enforcement.

Thanks again for your help. Talk to you soon.

Ken ****
"

Be sure to scroll to the last pic. It really puts things in perspective....

IMG_1481-1024x768.jpeg

IMG_1479-1024x768.jpeg

IMG_1478-1024x768.jpeg

IMG_1418-1024x768.jpeg

IMG_1431-1024x768.jpeg

IMG_1470-1024x768.jpeg

IMG_1471-1024x768.jpeg

IMG_1473-1024x768.jpeg

IMG_1426-1024x768.jpeg

IMG_1421-1024x768.jpeg

^^^^---- That one's got the "fun" switch... :becky: :becky:

Thank you for your service, Ken!! And, Thanks so much for including Oakridge BBQ in your Holiday celebrations so far from home, Ken. It means the world to us, and to me personally it's one of the highest honors I have.

God bless!

Mike

Last edited:
Heck ya! Thanks Ken and all of those serving! That is some mighty good looking grub from Afghanistan!

I absolutely love your rubs! I had done a couple orders when i first started BBQing.. haven't had any for a year or so ago! Recently ordered a few things and I'm in love all over again! Thanks for your great product and glad to see you helping our guys oversea's to enjoy some wonderful BBQ!

Cool post, I'm a big fan of your rubs as well. Eating pork with secret weapon on it as we speak...

LOVE IT!! Thanks for your support of the troops Mike ( I know you are happy to be able to help), and those pictures make us really appreciate the lives we have here in this great country. My hope is that everyone deployed gets back home safely. Kudos for your assistance and for posting.

Awesome! Y'all seem like a generous company when it comes to things like this. I brought asked about a possible Oakridge product here the other day, but didn't get a definite answer. Are y'all working on a chili kit or a specific blend of chiles to make an Oakridge chili powder?

Awesome! Y'all seem like a generous company when it comes to things like this. I brought asked about a possible Oakridge product here the other day, but didn't get a definite answer. Are y'all working on a chili kit or a specific blend of chiles to make an Oakridge chili powder?

Thanks, Chipper! Yes, I am working on a chili blend. It's basically done, just need to work on pricing and labels, etc...:becky::thumb:

Mike-

You are a great guy with a big heart- thank you for that!

Just placed an order coming to Chicago!!! :mrgreen:

My first thought was how did the guys get pork in Afghanistan? :thumb: Mike, I've said it before and will say it again that your rubs are second to none.

Oh and this is a priceless pic

IMG_1421-1024x768.jpeg

My first thought was how did the guys get pork in Afghanistan? :thumb: Mike, I've said it before and will say it again that your rubs are second to none.

Oh and this is a priceless pic

IMG_1421-1024x768.jpeg

That's a real life "operator" right there. Or am I wrong? I don't have anty military service, regretfully.

Probly one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

Assasins deserve good BBQ

Back