Pellet grill questions.

bocephus

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have many!
I have been using a Weber performer for years, and. A home made stumps clone. I’m thinking about getting a pellet grill for easy of use. Treagers are really expensive for anything big enough for a first cooker to see if I like it.
Are pellet grills any good? Has anyone tried a pit boss? Are there any other grills out there?
I would use this primarily for smoking and occasionally for coming a burger or something small when I don’t feel like staying charcoal.

I will have my pitboss Austin lx for 2 years soon, I love it for the set and forget it ease. Makes great food with a lighter smoke profile than other types of cooking.

I have a question also.

Why do pellet smokers have fans ?

A. -- Is it to create convection in the cook chamber ?

B. -- Or to provide air to the fire pot for combustion ?

C. -- Or both ?

If the answer is B , how is air flow created in the cook chamber ?

I’d add Grilla Grills to the mix. I love my Chimp pellet grill. Stainless steel internals, double wall construction, a PID controller, and excellent customer service. Mid price range. Check them out.

B. and the velocity and volume of airflow is an inherent limitation of the pellet cooker. Charcoal cookers need a slow draft to limit burn rate, stick burners need a decent unrestricted draft to burn clean, and pellet cookers shove air through the cooker. Pellet cookers generally produce a drier exterior because the humidity bubble around the meat cannot form, which affects smoke condensation and adhesion. Different cookers cook differently and it affects the smoke.

Charcoal - two stroke with a choke, very efficient, kinda dirty
Stick burner - naturally aspirated, fuel hungry
Pellet burner - forced induction, jack of all trades master of none

Last edited:
I bought a small Pit Boss right before Christmas, the wife and I are hooked. It is so easy for me and we both like the food that has come off of it. Even sears a steak pretty well. Can't speak to durability yet but I will be forced to get another one when this one kicks the bucket. In addition, I had been very skeptical and took the plunge mainly because it was under $200.

I'm happy with my pit boss. they can be had for a great deal on clearance at places like Walmart

B. and the velocity and volume of airflow is an inherent limitation of the pellet cooker. Charcoal cookers need a slow draft to limit burn rate, stick burners need a decent unrestricted draft to burn clean, and pellet cookers shove air through the cooker. Pellet cookers generally produce a drier exterior because the humidity bubble around the meat cannot form, which affects smoke condensation and adhesion. Different cookers cook differently and it affects the smoke.

Charcoal - two stroke with a choke, very efficient, kinda dirty
Stick burner - naturally aspirated, fuel hungry
Pellet burner - forced induction, jack of all trades master of none

I was wondering if lack of air flow affected bark development.

If airflow is too restricted it can get pretty humid inside a charcoal cooker and bark can be on soft side. The pellet cooker runs into the opposite problem and usually needs to be spritzed or mopped to keep the surface from drying out.

I love my Yoder YS640. It is a top notch pellet pooper but I still like playing with fire. I use the Yoder for convenience and generally when entertaining because I tend to crack a brew or two and the convenience of it allows me to forget about it. If I am smoking for myself or just the family I sometimes use my egg or my drums. I sold my stick burner the last time I moved and am still kicking myself in the ass for that. I so much want another stick burner!

I would also include Grilla Grills. I have had my Silverbac for over a year and have been very happy with it. I purchased the Original model (doesn't have all the stainless interior parts, 2 mode PID or pellet dump). You can get into this model fairly reasonably. If you're on FB, there is a group called My Grilla Grill Smoker. There are always people joining the group just to find out more about the product before making a decision.

Back