Need advice from the Brethren

S

stellarfly

P1030644.jpg
I've always loved grilling but only recently got into charcoal grilling. I love the Weber kettle. In fact, I love almost everything to do with charcoal, smoking etc. Im thinking of buying my first Weber Kettle (22.5) I was thinking either Performer or One touch gold. Either way, I need some expert advice from the experts here at BBQ-Brethren. I wanted to make a custom Weber Kettle Table to fit my kettle into. Just like the Big Green Eggs come in. Yes made of wood. My only concern is how hot do the kettles get when grilling. I dont want the wood to start to smolder or worst burn! Any advice? Can I just line the opening with tin baffle of sorts? I love the look of a custom built BBQ table with a hole in it so the kettle can sit right in it. here is an example.

showthread.php

I'm a Performer owner and love it -- The gas starter built in is wonderful.

As to your table I think you'll need some sort of air gap between the kettle and the surface because a Weber kettle gets mighty hot during a cook. If you've got the kettle in direct contact with the wood, there will be char and, potentially, a fire.

Try cutting the hole for the kettle about 1/2 inch larger then use some metal fasteners like stainless steel wood screws driven in about every three or four inches around -- support the kettle rim on them, not wood.

This is just a guess. Maybe somebody will show up who has done this.

Air gap for sure. also edge hole with that formable aluminum they use to sculpture carpet. Awood frame topped with that concrete tile backer and then tile would be a nice sanitary work surface.

Back