want to roast a whole pig

ricknct

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
hey all! I want to roast a whole pig for our family picnic. Any new ideas.or methods other than old reliable sticking it on a stick and building a fire next to it? All ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

Theres a web site called either (3) guys from cuba or (5) guysfrom cuba. It is very good, tells you how to build the pit out of cynder blocks etc. I have never tried it myself but I have seen it done. By the way, what part of Ct. are you from. I was born in Bridgeport and raised in Monroe.

Hey Queball, do they sell plans for that Cajun Microwave?

I do not sell plans, but construction is fairly simple. I will post pics of mine tonight. I built a 2x2x4 plywood box with an open top. I strengthed all corners with 1x4 cypress planks. I had a stainless box fabricated which is 2 inches smaller all the way around and which laps the upper edge of the plywood box. I filled the gap between the boxes with ceramic hull insulation. The top is a wooden frame with a built in 1/4 inch marine grade aluminum fire box which sits down into the cooking chamber about 4 inches. This design is my own and is certainly high tech by comparison to the boxes on the internet. It is; however, an extremely efficient cooker and holds heat forever. It cooks like a pressure cooker. I've done butts to "falling apart" tender in just a couple of hours.

A co-worker purchased a La Caja China pig roaster to roast pigs for his annual luaus.

It works great. No smokey flavor, but it roasts great, easy, simple - there's a lot to be said for easy and simple.

Check with SmokeInDaEye. They had one at Grill Kings this weekend and did a pig.

We use something similar to the cajun microwave that my FAL picked up in mexico. use it for cabrito or hog

Jorge said:
Check with SmokeInDaEye. They had one at Grill Kings this weekend and did a pig.

Yes, it worked great (and was a huge crowd draw). We did the whole 60 lb pig in 4 hours. We injected it with a store bought mojo marinade (oranges, pepper, etc.) then gave it a nice rub of adobo seasoning. Turned out great!

- Clint

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

That Cajun Microwave looks strikingly similar to La Caja China.

had some guys up working on the gripper system at work a couple years ago from down in the Byoues and they described a Cajun Microwave as a large thick steel box buryed in the ground which you put your meat in and put the heavy lid on and build the fire on top........And they also raised their own pigs and used everything from the snoot to the toot.

I have only had Q from one whole pig roast, mind you, but I remember thinking that it had no smoke taste at all. It looked like it was very well smoked and pulled, but it looked as if the skin kept the smoke from penetrating. Since then, i have always prefered smoked butts and such.

It was at a wedding reception in Maryland and was catered by a guy with a great looking mobile offset rig. It sure looked like he knew what he was doing.

Did I sample a poorly smoked pig or is the skin actually a barrier for smoke? It sure keeps the pig moist though, I had to give it that.

Back