What Cut for Pulled Beef?

JiveTurkey

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
JT
I just got asked to cook pulled beef for 100 this weekend. What cut should I use for this? Would brisket work? We'll serve in corn tortillas with salsa fresca. Yes it's for mexicans! ;)

Also, what is the difference between "pit beef" and "pulled beef"? I thought they were the same thing but google searches say I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The only pulled beef that I have done or had is beef knuckle. It is very good and cooked basically like pork. Some will cook it in a foil pan of broth.

You may want to take the chuck to 205. Start checking at 190 or so. You also may want to use foil or a pan after 160 to retain juices.

For Mexicans, huh? Well, I have plenty of experience with Mexicans.:becky: I'd go with chuck roll or brisket. Carne desebrada (pulled) is most times made from brisket that's been braised in the oven till it pretty much falls apart and served as you described. That is usually what is considered "bbq brisket or just brisket" by Mexicans. Very much different than from what brisket is considered in the Q World. Don't think there's really much of a difference in how they'd like it as opposed to someone else. That's what I'd go with. Are they expecting a certain cut or method of prep? Could be they may be expecting something totally different. I'd ask them since they are footing the bill for it I presume. Heck, they may even want it Texas style which also tastes pretty dang good served up a warm tort with salsa.

Bob

Why, Sir Charles Roasterford of course!

That's my personal pick anyway.

I stop over from work and purchase a 15 ll shoulder for this coming weekend , a clod is hard to beat. But actually any cheaper cut of beef make good pull beef.

I'm mexican too, shhh don't tell anybody! :p

I'm doing it for free, helping a friend who just had a death in the family and they're scrambling to get food for the wake. They asked if I could bring the meat so I started thinking about what we ate growing up for funerals and I always remember shredded beef with salsa. I just wasnt sure what cut of meat it was. Thanks again everybody.

I stop over from work and purchase a 15 ll shoulder for this coming weekend , a clod is hard to beat. But actually any cheaper cut of beef make good pull beef.

That's pretty much spot on, just a matter of cooking it longer to get it to pulling stage.

Personally, I can't stand the braised version of the brisket (Mexican) version that you will get at pretty much EVERY party/event around here. It's soaked and cooked in liquid smoke or Claude's brisket sauce till it falls apart and that's all you taste. The juices are usually added to help keep it moist.
For my son's third birthday party I told them I'd be making desebrada (pulled/oven cooked brisket), but actually gave them smoked, pulled chuck rolls...........it beat out the old stuff hands down. After pulling, I added a bit of the juices and apple juice and then added some rub. Dang good stuff.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47603&highlight=chuck+roll

I'm mexican too, shhh don't tell anybody! :p

I'm doing it for free, helping a friend who just had a death in the family and they're scrambling to get food for the wake. They asked if I could bring the meat so I started thinking about what we ate growing up for funerals and I always remember shredded beef with salsa. I just wasnt sure what cut of meat it was. Thanks again everybody.

I won't tell.:thumb::tape: Sounds to me like they will like the oven braised brisket then. That's what it sounds like to me. Skip the liquid smoke and all that other stuff. Maybe use some beer or beef broth as a starter stock and then toss in some onions, garlic, ciliantro and a couple jalapenos into the stock. You can then use the o, g, c, and j's for the salsa after cooking. I'd even just go with the oven to cut down on time.

I won't tell.:thumb::tape: Sounds to me like they will like the oven braised brisket then. That's what it sounds like to me. Skip the liquid smoke and all that other stuff. Maybe use some beer or beef broth as a starter stock and then toss in some onions, garlic, ciliantro and a couple jalapenos into the stock. You can then use the o, g, c, and j's for the salsa after cooking. I'd even just go with the oven to cut down on time.

Do you think there would be minor taste differences/preferences between Texas and California styles of Mexican cuisine? It's a pretty large geographical separation. I guess most ingredients would be the same but I'm curious.

Do you think there would be minor taste differences/preferences between Texas and California styles of Mexican cuisine? It's a pretty large geographical separation. I guess most ingredients would be the same but I'm curious.

Yup, big difference. That was why I had asked what they were expecting. Whole packers are cheap and plentiful around here so that's what gets used most times. Chuck roll isn't used very much at all. Most of the roast cuts are used as well. Heck, even the salsas would be different. I find it interesting that there is such a difference in Mexican food between here and 30 minutes away in New Mexico. I know I shouldn't say this...........but the NM versions of many Mexican dishes are my favorites.:shocked:

I doubt they're expecting anything specific. The family was so busy with the funeral arrangements they didnt even think of food.

Back