Wings Recipe, Please...

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Yes...believe it or not, I've never done wings. I want to do wings. I have a MAK2 , a Primo Ceramic and a 22" grill. Of course I like em breaded and fried, however I want to try doing them either in a smoker or on the grill. I'm not a big fan of Buffalo sauced wings. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Oh...and I do like the skin to be good and tender.

Last edited:
Not much of an actual recipe, but I just use Naturiffic's hot wing rub and cook them in my smoker until they're done.

A dry rub of your choice, Primo setup for half direct half indirect heat. Do 85% of the cook indirect, finish off over direct heat, if desired. I find the convection of the Primo can do a good job crisping the chicken skin at 425* 100% indirect as well. If saucing I find a little time direct can help “bake on” the sauce.

Dry rubs I use often:
Kosher salt, granulated onion, granulated garlic, fine ground black pepper
Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime, Habanero Death Dust, and Jah Love

About to place an order for the Naturiffic hot wing rub too

I have smoked and grilled many a wing actually. My favorite way is to use whole fresh wings and cut the tip off. McCormick's Rotisserie Chicken rub is really good ans it's easy. Just give them a good sprinkle, pretty heavy but don't completely cover the wing. Grill them on low heat and turn them over and re-arrange often as needed to keep them all cooking evenly. I usually grill mine for around 40-45 minutes, low heat so the rub don't burn. They will be so tender the bones will just pull out. I don't normally use sauce on my wings but the wife sometimes dips hers in wing sauce.

Here's my all time favourite wing recipe, there's a local chef called Al Brown who put out a great book a few years ago called "Stoked", about cooking over coal and wood.
https://www.eatwell.co.nz/recipe/7138/Komals-wings/

The only extra step I do is cut off the flap of thicker skin between the two pieces... I've heard it referred to as 'the mother in law’s armpit'.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Get yourself a Vortex from the below link for your 22" Weber and don't look back. 45 minutes to perfectly cooked wings. Also great for cooking ABT's and Brats without worry. Next to a charcoal chimney, the Vortex is without a doubt the best $40.00 I ever spent. Disclaimer: I have no connection to any of the companies.

Good luck.

Robert

Last edited:
I really like the serious eats oven fried wings https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

You can skip the baking soda as I dont find it really makes a difference when cooking on a grill or smoker.

Drying in the fridge is really the key step for me.

I make a dry dust with equal parts dried lime zest, dried jalapenos (you can sub any dried peppers such as pizza peppers) and granulated honey (can sub brown sugar). Dust right when they come off the pit.

A vortex or charcoal baskets in the middle.of the grill are about the same. For the primo do baskets on each side. cook around 425 on either.

Yes...believe it or not, I've never done wings. I want to do wings. I have a MAK2 , a Primo Ceramic and a 22" grill. Of course I like em breaded and fried, however I want to try doing them either in a smoker or on the grill. I'm not a big fan of Buffalo sauced wings. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Oh...and I do like the skin to be good and tender.

It's hard to go wrong with wings and a marinade as simple as Italian salad dressing, or about any dry rub will work for starters. If you are near the end of a jar of dill pickles, try using some pickle juice for a brine. It doesn't take much, and 3 or 4 hours will do the trick. It's an interesting flavor. Another technique sort of pre sweats the skin so it crisps up.... steam your wings for 8 minutes, then allow to cool, season as usual and grill.

I really like the serious eats oven fried wings https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

You can skip the baking soda as I dont find it really makes a difference when cooking on a grill or smoker.

Drying in the fridge is really the key step for me.

I make a dry dust with equal parts dried lime zest, dried jalapenos (you can sub any dried peppers such as pizza peppers) and granulated honey (can sub brown sugar). Dust right when they come off the pit.

A vortex or charcoal baskets in the middle.of the grill are about the same. For the primo do baskets on each side. cook around 425 on either.

I totally agree with 12 or 18 hours of drying and use a similar technique including baking powder, but I only use 1/2 the salt called out in the recipe you linked. For those that have never tried it, these wings were done this way.

fJ0VWZG.jpg

I did wings last night using 3/4 three different rubs I like, and 1/4 corn starch, all combined, and applied liberally. It was my first ever go with the corn starch. It helped add some texture. Not quite like deep fried, but a bit of a crunchy texture.

Next time, I will maybe kick the corn starch consistency up to 1/3 or even 1/2 of the recipe.

try putting them in a strainer and dumping boiling water over them before cooking. It helps with skin. Drying is a very good option but I dont usually think 12-18 hours ahead of a wing cook

Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning is always a quick, easy and delicious way to go if you like a little heat. I like to hit the wings with it in the AM and cook 'em on screaming hot heat (usually Vortex) in the PM. I'll usually toss 'em in a mix of Frank's and bacon grease towards the end of the cook, but they're also good just with the Tony C's.

I ended up using my Stok 22" kettle, with the vortex. I did some with corn starch and some without. Although I did overcook them a bit, I actually preferred the corn starch ones. They all turned out, but not great, so just like anything, I'll have to get more practice at them. Thanks all, for the help..

Get you some hot pepper jelly and mix it about 50/50 with your favorite bbq sauce for an amazing sticky sweet heat wing.

Get you some hot pepper jelly and mix it about 50/50 with your favorite bbq sauce for an amazing sticky sweet heat wing.

I’ve been doing this on my ribs lately and they r right tasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey neighbor....Corn starch and a good chicken rub. Use a vortex if you have one...if not, put your charcoal baskets in the center and fill them with lit. Don't use any smoking wood for your first run. It can overpower the chicken and also get it too dark.

Still my favorite...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213796

I have also used raspberry jelly.

Tried this recipe tonight, absolutely outstanding!

Used a Weber kettle, Vortex and mangrove lump charcoal with a piece of Apple wood straight on top of the coals rather than on the grate above the coals. This will become a regular on the chicken page of the 'go to' list.

There wasn't much talking and a bit of sideways glancing looking at each others plates as we ate, there was going to be nothing spared, even my six year old looked ready to defend her plate if required, so good.

I've made an aioli using a 3:1 ratio of HDD, and Secret Weapon(Oakridge BBQ). Coat the wings, 45 minutes around a Vortex, flipping halfway through. They don't look very appetizing, initially, but they are outstanding.

Matt

Back