MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
blackaudi22
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Broil King Keg Accessory? BGE Plate Setter or BKK Metal Diffuser?

Any comments on which of these is more effective and/or a better value?

Looks like the Broil King Keg Heat Diffuser has a built in water pan/drip pan and the BGE plate setter would require a pan on top of the plate for catching messy drips and/or adding moisture to the cook.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

The big green egg has more thermal mass and really no need for water in the keg.
You can try the big steel keg forum to.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Eatin Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

I would stay away from BKK diffuser.....very thin metal and you need more thermal mass. If you don't want to spend the money for a plate setter go with a cast iron pizza pan or wok. These options work fine and fit perfectly!

Eatin Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
linklaw
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have been using a cast iron lid from an old dutch oven. It works great with my vision kamado.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
blackaudi22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatin Smoke View Post
I would stay away from BKK diffuser.....very thin metal and you need more thermal mass. If you don't want to spend the money for a plate setter go with a cast iron pizza pan or wok. These options work fine and fit perfectly!

Lodge Pro-Logic P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, Black, 14-inch: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

Lodge Pro-Logic P14W3 Cast Iron Wok, Black, 14-inch: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com
How does the cast iron solution work? Do the handles sit on the lip below the cast iron grill?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got the Char Griller Smokin' Stone for mine. It was only 29 dollars when I got it, now they're close to 50.

On edit, Char Griller still has them listed at 29 on their website. Shipping is about 12 dollars from them though.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Last edited by deguerre; 08-19-2013 at 09:56 AM..
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
blackaudi22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatin Smoke View Post

Lodge Pro-Logic P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, Black, 14-inch: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

Lodge Pro-Logic P14W3 Cast Iron Wok, Black, 14-inch: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com
I think these may be too small for my keg. The ID measures over 18".

Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Melt In The Sun
Knows what a fatty is.

Over at the BKK forum there is a guy who sells SS straps that will hold a 15" kiln shelf...I have this and it works great, since you can put a pan, foil, or whatever on the stone. It also lets you still lock the grate so you can use the upper shelf without dumping everything on the ground when you spin it without thinking.

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=9667.0

edit: looks like he isn't selling them anymore...sorry! I'm sure you could make them yourself with a vice and a hammer.
Melt In The Sun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
blackaudi22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
Over at the BKK forum there is a guy who sells SS straps that will hold a 15" kiln shelf...I have this and it works great, since you can put a pan, foil, or whatever on the stone. It also lets you still lock the grate so you can use the upper shelf without dumping everything on the ground when you spin it without thinking.

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=9667.0

edit: looks like he isn't selling them anymore...sorry! I'm sure you could make them yourself with a vice and a hammer.
Oh well... thanks. I went ahead and ordered the BKK diffuser kit. I like that its unbreakable... cheaper and comes with a pan. I figure I can always add sand or a pizza plate to it.

Steve

Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

I like the Broil King kit myself, as the wire holder has other uses. With it upside down, it holds the pizza stone kit flush with the level of the lid, you can put the cast iron grate on that way as well for it to be flush as well. But one of the best uses I've found is getting a cheap metal colander to hold a small amount of charcoal, it will sit in the middle of the ring and allow you create a 2 zone fire, with direct heat in the middle and indirect around the outsides. If I can figure out how to add a picture here, I'll post a pic of that setup.
ubp_sanity is offline   Reply With Quote