MAK vs Rec Tec

NYC ‘Que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I’ve got the pellet grill bug. Guess there’s been so much talk around here lately that I didn’t want to be left out. I’ve narrowed down my two choices to a MAK 1 Star or a Rec Tec bull. I know that there is a huge difference in construction and the MAK is all USA made. My main question I guess comes down to the controller. Is that new Rec Tec controller as good as they say? From what I can tell it actually seems more intuitive than the MAK. Do I really need to drop 1700 bucks on a pellet smoker or will the Rec Tec turn out the same quality food? I’m not really interested in any other brands than these two, I’ve checked out probably a dozen or so different makes. I’m either going for the deal or going for broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you can afford it I’d go Mak. I never regretted paying for quality. I should be getting my Mak 1 soon.

I passed on the Rec-tec for a brand you don't want to hear about so i guess I'd get the Mak

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mak without a doubt. Just made better and I can’t stand the horns or the vids from rec tec...yeah...I’m shallow!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I passed on the Rec-tec for a brand you don't want to hear about so i guess I'd get the Mak

It’s not that I don’t want to hear it, it’s just I didn’t want to get twenty responses with twenty different brands. I did my legwork and for whatever reason I narrowed it down to these two.

Mak without a doubt. Just made better and I can’t stand the horns or the vids from rec tec...yeah...I’m shallow!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol. I’m not a fan of the horns either.

In terms of the controller on the Rectec, their old one was very good -- my memory is that it was a variant of the one Memphis used which is about as good as it gets. The new one has great features but it's fairly new so I would say there isn't the track record yet. (though maybe it's similar to the current Memphis for all I know)

That said, I think you'll be happy with either.

I had an original 680. Within the first year or so they came out. I will say without a doubt that my Memphis advantage is a far better cooker. I’d go Mak.

It’s not that I don’t want to hear it, it’s just I didn’t want to get twenty responses with twenty different brands. I did my legwork and for whatever reason I narrowed it down to these two.

I know...I laugh every time someone asks about brand X and everyone recommends what they bought instead. You are in the same spot i was in. High end or bang for the buck. Since i don't actually need another cooker i went with the value just to try pellets out. Only 2 cooks but i can't complain. I tend to spend once cry once but not this time. Good luck with your decision.

Can’t say anything bad about the Rec-Tecs because I have never cooked on one. I can say that I have seen a good number of solid reviews and happy owners... BUT, I would not own one because 1) I cannot stand the way they market their product 2) I do not care for the bullhorn look.

As far as MAK’s, I have owned 2. Had an older 1 Star which I sold to fund a 2 Star. I love LOVE MAK’s. The 1 Star will have a smaller footprint but a surprisingly large cooking chamber when you add a full upper grate. The fit and finish is top of the line! Under the crazy thick powder coating sits aluminized steel. That’s means should you gets scratches, you will not experience rust. I loved that about my 1 Star. Also, the MAK’s put out serious volumes of smoke (something they are well known for). As finances permit, you can also deck a MAK out with some cool accessories.

Here's a cool thread I saw re: MAK awhile back:

"Many here may not know this, and I will try to be as accurate as I can, with my apologies to MAK if this is out-of-turn:

MAK Metals - the parent of MAK Grills - is one of the country's main providers of the equipment that most of us have ignored, but we pass by it every day. The big brushed stainless boxes that are on one corner of a light controlled intersection. These "boxes" contain some pretty sophisticated electronics that control the traffic lights and can link up with an entire network of others, which can be controlled remotely to alter traffic patterns/flow. So, the boxes must be robust - and the electronics MUST work.

This is the background - rugged weather durability and dependable electronics design/implementation - that MAK Metals brought into the outdoor cooking industry.

MAK is a true locally owned, American made product. It is well supported because they designed the controller themselves. ( reference above business experience - you can begin to see the relevance of their history and success in the outdoor cooking industry) The only other companies I have seen even attempt this - have been miserably poor controllers, that have needed ( and still need from everyone I know using them) constant firmware up-dates. MAK does have a few up-dates....but not because of "problems" with the previous ones. Just adding features and an occasional "tweak" . The rest of our industry buys their controller from 2 or 3 companies that make "canned" - or standard models which approximate different size pits in cooking volume. Whereas the MAK controller recognizes the air flow, and individual characteristics that make MAKS cook so evenly across the grill surface.
Just look at the awards they have won - from the same industry association that serious outdoor cooking manufacturers are part of:
https://www.makgrills.com/awards/
These are recognition by your peers/competitors that you are building a superior product, and offering the consumer great value.
Quality does not cost - it pays....because you will never need to replace a MAK because you "wore it out". Their focus is not the same as many companies - whose philosophy is based on "life cycle" . Those companies plan on trying to sell you another, and then another, and another grill when you "wear out" your grill.
Again - my apologies to MAK if I mis-spoke here....But they are one of those quiet, focused companies that does not do much advertising. They don't need to I suppose, when their customers are their marketing dept! [emoji3]

I am the 2nd owner of the 23rd ( #48 ) MAK ever sold. I have a thread here showing it's "refresh" - bringing it up to current model features and finish. I do not know of any other manufacturer that offers the up-gradeablity that MAK does. ( the photos are gone now...will show those on the next one )
I now have a 2nd one - first generation also - that I am about to embark on bringing it up to the same current condition."

Last edited:
I, for one, love my Rec Tec. Lots of stainless, and it works flawlessly. And since horns and videos in no way impact how the Rec Tec cooks, these weren't factors in my decision. Those issues really depend on your priorities and preferences.

To answer your questions:

1. Do I need to spend $1,700 to get a good cooker? Absolutely not. The Rec Tec is very high quality and produces great food. It also includes WiFi which the last time I checked was a $300 upgrade on the Mak. Based on my priorities, I could not find anything that justified paying almost double for a cooker with similar features.

2. Is the Rec Tec controller as good as advertised? In my limited experience, yes. I have had both the old and new controllers, and both perform flawlessly.

The Rec Tec is a very good cooker, and I believe it's an exceptionally good value. Great customer support, a long warranty, lots of stainless, and an excellent controller.

Of course if money is not a primary concern the reviews for the Mak are exceptional, so you will be happy with either choice. Just decide on your priorities and choose the cooker that fits the bill.

Good luck!

One grill is designed and built to meet a price point the other is built to be one of the best you can buy, based on design, quality of construction, durability and overall performance.

The MAK does seem expensive until you get your hands on it and cook on it, worth every penny imo, I also know that I have a grill I'll never have to replace. A lot people say you need a smoke tube to get a good smoke profile on a PG, I haven't found that to be the case with the MAK and I've done side by side cooks with my Drum so it's not a figment of my imagination.

Just like anything in life be it guns, knives, grills, smokers, surfboards, bikes, watches, electronics, cars, trucks and hundreds of other things, quality costs.

Is it worth it to you only you can answer that question.

This forum has a severe problem of telling people to over-buy.

Most people do not need nor can they probably really afford these >$1500 cookers. There may be a realistic/budget side of this site- if there is it is extremely small.

This forum has a severe problem of telling people to over-buy.

Most people do not need nor can they probably really afford these >$1500 cookers. There may be a realistic/budget side of this site- if there is it is extremely small.

What would you suggest we tell people, when they ask what the best cooker is? Normally when people asks for suggestions, one of the first followups is, What is your budget. You certainly don't need a $1500 cooker, but if you are asking what the best cooker is, it probably isn't going to be the $200 one.

What would you suggest we tell people, when they ask what the best cooker is? Normally when people asks for suggestions, one of the first followups is, What is your budget. You certainly don't need a $1500 cooker, but if you are asking what the best cooker is, it probably isn't going to be the $200 one.

Agree! I almost always see budget taken into consideration (as one of the first questions) when lose questions are tossed out like “which cooker should I buy?” In this case the OP is asking about two specific cookers and that is it. Putting these two side/side... the MAK is for obvious reasons gonna get the nod more so than the Rec-Tec. It’s simply a better built cooker :)

I think i missed the original question. No, you don't need to spend $1,700. The Rec-tec isn't going to turn out crappy food. It's more up to you on how much you need to spend.

Back