MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Queen Creek RibFest Cookoff

This will be the first one with hopes of making it a KCBS & State Championship next year.We could use the support of anyone close enough to come.Let's get Arizona on the BBQ map.http://www.azbbqa.com
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Go get 'em Mr. Smoker! Best of luck to ya!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
Bigdog

Go Mr. Smoker. I'll be pulling for you.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
jt
Babbling Farker

GitRDone, Mr Smoker!

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2005, 03:50 PM   #5
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoker
This will be the first one with hopes of making it a KCBS & State Championship next year.We could use the support of anyone close enough to come.Let's get Arizona on the BBQ map.http://www.azbbqa.com
MrSmoker, does the link to the QC rib cookoff page work for you from AZBBQ?
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$
MrSmoker, does the link to the QC rib cookoff page work for you from AZBBQ?
Try http://www.azbbqa.net/smf/
I go to it from the forum not the home page.Let me know if this don't work.
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera

Old 10-17-2005, 04:56 PM   #7
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

BTW i'll only be using half of the dually if someone wants to enter and not haul a smoker i will share

Old 10-17-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Get ahold of Brother BullElk and get him there to cook!!! Good luck to all my AZ Brothers!!

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoker
BTW i'll only be using half of the dually if someone wants to enter and not haul a smoker i will share
Dang, what a tempting offer. Too bad our daughter didn't still live in Phoenix. I would probably be able to talk the OL into that trip.

Old 10-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #10
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

I could actually bring the WSM & OKJoes Horizontal.It would be great to get together with some Brothers. The more entries the bigger the prizes.Boys & Girls Club get 1/3 and we 2/3 of the entry fees.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:04 AM   #11
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

The Ribfest is this Sat. and i have a a couple questions.The judges will be VIPs from the Town and Boys and Girls Club,they will get a crash course in the KCBS rules.Garnish will be optional,i know how some of you feel about garnish but with new judges i'm not sure what to do.I have entered twice and will be doing one box with a sweet glaze and the other spicy.I also wonder if one box should be kind of falling off the bone like most of us do at home The last contest i did with non certified judges the 1st place Ribs were falling off the bone.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 AM   #12
chad

If I was doing a "new" event with quickie course judges (assuming a KCBS rep or judge is doing to "training") I would garnish (legal all the way) and probably slightly overcook the ribs - maybe not fall off the bone but definately pull away tender. The quickie course judges I've been able to see the cards for score all over the place...

You know the flavor pallate of that region - I personally would go sweet and on the spicy I'd have some sweet with it to counterpoint the heat.

Just my opinion - your mileage WILL vary!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2005, 04:52 AM   #13
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Chad i took your advice and glazed my ribs with my spicy sauce & honey and it worked. Took GC with 31 entries,I'm feelin' good today (plus 450.00 bucks in my pocket)

Last edited by MrSmoker; 09-03-2006 at 06:21 PM..

Old 12-11-2005, 05:40 AM   #14
BobberQer
Banned

Congratulations MRSmoker those ribs look great!!!
BobberQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2005, 06:51 AM   #15
Solidkick

AWESOME looking ribs! I'd hit those, in a heartbeat! I'm glad Chad shared some tips with you, I didn't even see the questions (my bad) but you nailed it, that's for sure!

Great job my friend!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote