Contests with "token sales"

K

Kung Fu BBQ

i was just looking at the entry form for the NKC BBQ contest forms.
They do a "Taste of NKC". Teams can "sell" samples for tokens.
Is this worth is or is in un-needed pressure? it appears if you commit to selling you shakle yourself with a huge set of rules.

I guess it kind of depends on what the tokens are actually worth (cause no one wants a pocket full of tokens) and how large of a crowd they expect.

Sell 100 samples for $2 a pop, you've made a few hundred bucks selling food you were cooking anyway for the competition. Seems worth the hassle.

3 years ago, Memphis in May started a more organized version of this called the (Flavored Salt Manufacturer's) People Choice Award. Last year they had about 50 teams participate and people would pay $3 to go taste samples from 4 or 5 of them then vote. Although I don't know if all teams actually got a cut of the money, one of them is selected as the People's Choice and received a cash prize and trophy.

Tim, something to check out is if the promoter gets a cut of all proceeds. There's a promoter that charges the public for admission and sells play money with which all food and merchandise must be bought. He handles the sales and takes a 20% cut.

This is practiced at a number of contests. Some do the BBQ bucks thing also. If you wish to vend you need to have have at least one member safe serve qualified and pay a one day vendor license fee to the local government. I actually think this is a good idea because we overcook for a contest. We usually cook eight racks of ribs, two packers, two butts and 24 thighs. If would be nice to get some bucks for the extra food and we always have enough people at a contest to take care of vending without interfering with the contest activities.

I haven't ever taken part in any of these things, mainly for two reasons: 1. We're new to this and need to ocncentrate on what we're doing and 2. It's my wife and I. Things are busy as hell anyway during contests. We don't have time to also sell BBQ.

Sawdustguy said:
I actually think this is a good idea because we overcook for a contest. We usually cook eight racks of ribs, two packers, two butts and 24 thighs. If would be nice to get some bucks for the extra food and we always have enough people at a contest to take care of vending without interfering with the contest activities.

thats about the only reason it sounds good right now.
I'm not really looking to do it yet. i just wanted to hear from teams that have done it. I'm sure it's a huge distraction.

Fu JMO,
I think I would hold back on the extra work for this contest, it's their first attempt at this and it's also the first contest of the season in Missouri (I think), just observe how things work out. You can do it later at other contests later in the year, I know Blue Springs does buck a bone and lots a folks like it but we were not ready for the extra distractions. On the other hand it could help out with funding the contest. JMO

Lee (SloppyQ)

It can help with the funding if you need it, but as others have said it is a distraction and since most of the "vending" is done before you cook your competition meat (Friday night) you really don't get to use your leftover comp. meat. I definately would not do it at NKC (of course I woun't even cook that contest) - it has not been a cook friendly contest in the past (IMHO) so I would sit out the first year and see how the vending is organized.

MoKanMeathead said:
it has not been a cook friendly contest in the past (IMHO) so I would sit out the first year and see how the vending is organized.

Now I'm intrigued.

To explain my opinion - the teams are spread out across several city blocks, depending upon where you are located you get to haul water up to several blocks, no electricity so you get to listen to "a bunch" of generators all day and night, it seemed to me the organizers were much more concerned about their Saturday parade than they were the BBQ contest, and they never seems to have the results ready on Saturday. I have talked to teams that have never recieved their scores.

Lots of people cook it, and I am sure some enjoy it...but not us.

Good Luck

"Pig Buck" deals are an organizer's delight--just like gift card and phone card sales.
At "Pig Buck" events down here--vendors must accept them only--no cash or face banning.
So, customer comes in and buys $20 in bucks. Spends $18 or $19--got a buck or two left over. Nothing for sale for a buck, so it goes unused. Or, the day is up. They get 20% or whatever from actual sales, plus 100% on all the unused bucks. I bet there are a lot of them unused suckers at the end of the event.
Sweetheart deal for them.

Most vendors that I know just mark up the $2 ear of corn to $3 and march on.

TIM

Back